PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Man, after taking a weekend of only latakia blends (frog morton and nightcap) and one mild aro (cult blood red moon), I tried a bowl of East India Cellar Reserve. Wow it was way sweeter then i remember. It was my first blend so I have not touched it in awhile. I tell ya its true, once you go English/Non-Aro/VaPER its hard to take a hit off a sweet aro. So far Cult is the only aro i can tolerate for any length of time. Since i like to switch things up, what are other good mild tasty aros?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
once you go English/Non-Aro/VaPER its hard to take a hit off a sweet are
I know what you mean, I've got a few aros I'm trying to get through and won't replace, but there are a few I'll keep on hand. 1Q, HGL, Frog Morton but Captain Black Red Sky is a must have.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'll second Butternut Burley. I haven't had Trout Stream yet, but Butternut Burley is sweet enough to taste, and burns well, but never gets sickly-sweet to me. I really like it.
Also, as davet mentioned, Captain Black's Red Sky is a great cherry aromatic, but I still haven't compared it to Cult BRM.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly smoke non-aromatics, but I keep in mind that aromatics sustain the blending industry to a considerable degree. Just review the offerings at our sponsor sites. I do like an aromatic for a change of pace. The offerings are so vast and various, it's difficult to guess what someone else might like. I find Mac Baren's Modern Virginia, which I believe has a light aromatic component, quite pleasant. Altadis' Queen Anne's Revenge is a a mild blend with a little rum flavoring that has some tobacco interest. Newminster Cherry #3 has appeal for those who like cherry with some tobacco taste. But there is such a vast array, you have to sample small quantities for yourself and see what you prefer. Most of the codger blends seem to have some aromatic component even if it's debatable whether they qualify as aromatics -- Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and all the P&C Midtown series except Chestnut. Edward G. Robinson is an aromatic smoked faithfully by jiminks that's tasty.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I love the Dagner family and there vids. They condemn Capt. Black products
Don't know them or their vids, a quick search and look at their pipe homepage and I think I would put more stock in the opinions of members of this forum. I don't buy any other Captain Black blends but I've found one I really enjoy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Middleton's used to make a Black & Mild pipe tobacco. Now it only comes in the plastic-tip small cigar form. Whenever I feel like some Black & Mild, I buy a box of them, remove the outer "leaf" wrapper, and scissor the filling into pipe tobacco form. A while ago, I tried the same with a package of Backwoods Sweet Aromatic cigars. It was a lot like a good-tasting vanilla Cavendish, but did not burn as hot and wet. Might be worth a try for as inexpensive as they are.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
i figured out my problem. I am smoking on my way to work in the morning......which if after i brush my teeth. So I am accidentally combining the cleanliness of toothpaste mint with my already sweet enough aros and it gives me a super sweet over powering taste. I noticed it again today with Cult Blood Red Moon which is my go to smoke. Haha thanks for the help guys! Found out it was my own stupidity haha.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
My day usually goes like this: A bowl of EMP between breakfast and lunch. A bowl of Old Dublin or Frog Morton in the afternoon, and after supper, I love a big bowl of Lane 1Q with my coffee. I find by going stronger and leveling off in the afternoon with a "cooler" English blend, and then the sweetness of 1Q usually fulfills that taste in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.