Aromatic Smokers, Red Headed Stepchild?

(80 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from johnnyiii
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea when or where this has started, but it is a fact that aromatic smokers are considered less than. My personal belief is that when people think of aromatic smokers, pictures of Borkum Riff, Captain Black, Mixture 79( probably out sell all the boutique blends combined) come to their heads. With the plethora of high quality aromatics smokers of these should not be seen as having no taste. So what if people want to taste vanilla or christmas cookies, or caramel, or any other multitude of flavors. Just because they cannot handle the taste of real tobacco( oh, did I just take a shot at aro guy?) they shouldn't be looked down upon. I happen to like the taste of vanilla, sure in my ice cream or cookies but never in tobacco( why do I smoke Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake?) as that is so un-manly.

The fact that I have a few aromatics in my cellar means aromatic smokers are now on level with the mavens of the pipe tobacco world. The next time I see someone take a shot at an aromatic smoker, they will have to deal with me.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldseadog

Login to Send PM

Ok as an aromatic smoker. I like some English blends, but for me I enjoy aromatic a dark cavendish vanilla, or a mix of burrly and light cavendish belends. My favorite by far is lane 1Q. Oh and I have yet to have anyone challenge this retired Navy corpsmans manhood for smoking Borkum riff Cherry cavendish.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it's safe to say that the majority of pipe smokers are aromatic smokers. Heck, nearly everyone of us started with an aro of some type, especially a cherry blend.
    I admit to smoking a few although I generally smoke latakia blends and plugs like Warrior, Velvan and Mick McQuaid (which could be classified as aromatics by some).
    I have not read anything disparaging aromatic smokers or their choice of blends. I think pipe people are very tolerant of what others smoke.
    There is a lot of kidding about certain blends like the Borkums and Blend 79 but their staying power is testimony to their continued popularity.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

Wow I did not expect that from you Cigrmaster! I'm impressed you really do have balls! Now as a fairly new smoker and an aromatic lover I do feel less than when I comment that I enjoy and recommend many aromatics. But I also have an ever evolving palate and enjoy and appreciate almost all types from english to va/per, burly etc. Thats what I love the most about the Pipe , sooo much variety. Any way nice to see a well respected member stick up for the little guy!

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have returned to aros with a vengeance. I find them MUCH more enjoyable now that I understand how to smoke a pipe better. I smoke all kinds of tobaccos, but aros are a regular part of my rotation. I'm actually on an aro kick these days and have been smoking about 75% aros. I suspect as it starts to warm up I'll shift to VA VAPER more, but there are some darn good aros out there!

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. sjfine

sjfine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have evolved past aromatics onto VA's, VaPers, Burs, and VaBurs. (How do you like my l33t use of the abbreevs there?) But I support Harris, and I will defend aro-smokers when attacked.

Lat-smokers, on the other hand, are on their own.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm grateful to Cigrmaster for standing up for us aro smokers. I've always been bugged by the macho attitude of non-aromatic smokers; who cares if a baccy is flavored in some way? They taste great! I smoke both aros and non-aros, but the aros easily outnumber the latter. How can you not like a tobacco called "Trout Stream"? Thanks for being such a stand-up guy about this silly prejudice against aros.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Aromatics make up 90% of the pipe tobacco sold. I like 'em as well, but within limits. One of my fall back on blends is a mild, vanilla topped, bulk aro called Danish Delight.

After all, St Bruno is an aro, as is Stonehaven. Those two are topped, especially Stonehaven with all that treacle topping.

Unmanly Stonehaven...

Say, Harris, isn't Stonehaven one of your faves? Do you find your voice rising and your hands shrinking when you smoke it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't recall ever caring what anyone else smoked.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To all my aro brethren it is my honor to protect your manhood.

jesse, Stonehaven is in my top 3 and while my hands remain the same my voice does get higher and shrinkage is also a major factor.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of cheap, disgusting aromatics and equally disgusting unflavored blends out there. There are a lot of wonderfully delicious aromatics and equally wonderfully delicious unflavored blends out there.

Show me someone who says they've "graduated" from aromatics to natural unflavored blends and I'll show you someone who is ignorant of the facts, hasn't really graduated and won't get a diploma.

Pipestud
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve, do I get a diploma if I switched from English blends to anything else that had pulse?

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

Every tobacco has their place

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY39fkmqKBM FU with the red head shite.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amen. Unfortunately that snide and superior attitude towards aromatics (and by implication the smokers of aromatics) is not difficult to find in this and other forums. I'm not sure which is worse, the explicit and presumptuous "all aros are bad" type of statement, or the implicit "I finally graduated from aros" BS. Luckily it's only a few people that do it, but unluckily they're pretty consistent in doing it. It's so prevalent that you see a lot of posts praising certain aromatic blends which can get downright apologetic and sheepish in tone. Some people (and again, it's only a small minority) need to get over themselves.

One member whose name I can't recall here has "de gustibus non est disputandum" as a signature for his posts, which is always a good reminder.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh and I have yet to have anyone challenge this retired Navy corpsmans manhood for smoking Borkum riff Cherry cavendish.

One of my regulars along with Captain Black Red Sky (my favorite aromatic). Nobody has mentioned "goopy" yet, what's up with that?

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every hobby has its elitists, but I don't look down on a guy who enjoys a bowl of Mixture 79 (even though I might not understand it).

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Until you can demonstrate complete understanding and mastery of the information in the below video, you are not qualified to comment on this subject matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShA4HfxLeU

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeeze, I smoked mostly aromatic blends for about twenty years. I always liked tobacco forward blends so I could taste the leaf, but also a little flavor to give a better room note for my late wife, and because I had an uncle who always enjoyed aromatics, unlike my dad who was strictly and always a Granger man, although some argue that that is aromatic because of the casing. Russ O. says it's (I can't remember his wording) semi-aro or transitional. Anyway, at some point in recent years I became sensitive to the aro flavorings so they really bite me, and especially when I brush my teeth with flavored toothpaste after an evening aromatic smoke. I can happily puff away on Dark Burley and Tombalaka, but a vanilla/caramel aro gets me. So, do I consider aromatic blends beginner leaf? No, I still have several on my shelf. I toss in some flavored Cavendish when I am mixing up a home blend. If someone else is puffing on an aro, I enjoy the sidestream. I don't presume much about other people's blends, nor my own. I feel a minor tremor of bragging rights about my tolerance for full-strength leaf, but I'd retreat to mild blends only if they get to me. For me, this is about joie de vie, not some sort of tough guy contest.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a huge fan of aromatics (especially the goopy ones) but I sure do appreciate aro smokers as being wonderful ambassadors of our hobby. They are the reason even some of the slack-jawed, drooling, knuckle-dragging anti-tobacco buffoons will say "Well, that's a whole different thing! Pipe smoke is not nearly as bad" when you bring it up to them. The enjoyable room note has probably enticed more new pipe smokers into the hobby than all other factors combined. New smokers can then make up their own mind as to what tobaccos they prefer. So I say puff on, aro lovers! You're good advertising, and besides, I don't have to taste what you're smoking or clean your pipes.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have an issue with anyone who enjoys smoking aromatics. I consider aromatics the advertising department for pipesmoking. Most people remember an old relative that smokes some great smelling blend and has fond memories of it.

But here's where my issue with aromatic starts. People with those memories that look to take up the pipe for the first time most ALWAYS start off with an aromatic blend heavily cased with ________ topping. They light it up in a new briar they bought with the expectation of great flavors and being transported back into those memories, but instead they get a mouthful of dissapointment and pain.

People that start smoking a pipe really should learn smoking technique on a non aromatic, and after they've learned how to pack a bowl and smoking cadence should the move on to aromatics. Because it's then and only then can they coax the very subtle notes of flavoring out if aromatics.

Also new pipe smokers need to understand that most aromatics like for example, a vanilla topped one, won't be getting flavors like their smoking a bowl of ice cream.

In my opinion, smoking aromatic tobacco for the first time, rarely meets expectations. I've always said, the best way to enjoy an aromatic, is to sit in close proximity of somebody smoking one while you're NOT smoking anything.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...tarheel1 noted that his homeless vets, to whom he supplied tobacco and pipes, nearly all like aromatics best, for starters, so that's a testimonial from those who've been there. Fellow vets.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point, defargin. While trying to enlist a lady friend into the hobby, shaintiques and I started her off with a selection of both tobacco types, although I, an aro fan, recommended the non aros until she learned the basics.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like most pipe smokers, I started off with aero's. That was a loong time ago and they never tasted liked the smelled. About 30 years ago I stumbled into a pipe store and the owner told me all about Mcclellands. So I bought a pipe and haven't looked back.

I don't smoke them now even though there are many high quality aeros out there. But just this morning my wifes niece asked if there weren't "nice smelling tobaccos out there".

I may have to look into one or two of them...just for the winter mind you...for inside the house....periodically.....well....you know

Of course that means I will need another pipe or two.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a onetime smoker of such aromatics: sometimes that which is familiar and comforting just is. Think more about it at your peril; it is mere neurosis.

At the same time, I am glad to have discovered naturals!

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really couldn't care less what anyone else puts in their pipe. I smoke mostly heavy English/Balkan blends with Virginias, VaPer's and Burleys in the rotation as well; but, I have always kept a tub of Captain Black on hand for times that I want to reminisce. Also, in the last two years, Condor and St. Bruno, both " aromatics", have become staples in my cellar!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The origin of the phrase "red-headed stepchild":

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/28/origins-of-the-irish-down-to-mass-migration-ancient-dna-confirms

For mature/honest adults only!

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sablebrush's point is well-taken, that aromatics represent a wide majority of pipe tobacco sales, keep the industry afloat, and support the development, marketing and distribution of our much-beloved non-aromatics. sable' says 90% of the market -- donno, but it's high. If anyone has actual data, it is a corporate secret sealed in a vault in an abandoned salt mine in Nevada.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Area 51: the truth about aromatics.

I'd like them more if they were stronger in Lady N.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep most of the guys here smoke aros. A few live lat blends, but the majority love apple, cherry, whisky, and berry blends. Surprising I have given out most of the tobacco that was sent and all the pipes. It has become quite popular. I say smoke what you like as long as it is pipe tobacco or a cigar. Here is a pic of the homeless vets that are enrolled in the culinary class I help teach.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like them more if they were stronger in Lady N.

I'm right there with you, plus many I've tried, were very bland as well.

There are very few aromatics that I'll smoke on occasion. Two I can recall right now are:

Two Brother's - English Chocolate
    Rattray's - Bag Pipers Dream

I'm still looking for a decent cherry aromatic for the sole purpose of smoking around my wife because she likes it. So far I've only had Lane's - Very Cherry, while not bad, the only way I could get though all of it was to mix it with Carter Hall.

I've read a few recommend, Cult's - Blood Red Moon, and Capt Black's - Red Sky. I also want to try Pipeworks & Wilke's - Cherry Cavendish

Not really anxious to get started trying them, but its on this to-do list.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a few cherry blends I like from c&d and McC. I also have a tin of too black cherry and cherry bomb I will try. If you need vitamin n i hear g&h cherry twist and other twists have a ton.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. phxrock

phxrock

Login to Send PM

I am not an an aro smoker, but I understand there are more aro smokers than non-aro smokers. To me smelling the room note after an aro smoker has left the room reminds me of the people who vales. All you smell is the excessive use of sweetness and flavorings.
    I find it off putting the over use of Black Cavendish. Flavored or not. Just recently I purchased a pouch of CB White to try it after 20 plus years. I found it to just as heavy as it was.
    It has been stated on this forum many times. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

John

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've read a few recommend, Cult's - Blood Red Moon, and Capt Black's - Red Sky

+1 on both of them

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you need vitamin n i hear g&h cherry twist and other twists have a ton.

Sounds about right for me. Cherry seems like a flavor that would take to tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Andy, that was really funny. I totally remember that episode of South Park that the guy in the video was talking about.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether it's a super sweet aromatic such as Molto Dulce, or a nicotine bomb such as a Gawith and Hogarth Twist, I smoke what I like, when I like. If I want a Virginia, I smoke it. If I want latakia, I smoke it. I don't much care what someone thinks of me if I do happen to enjoy aromatics. I mean really... it's tobacco in a pipe. If someone feels the need to question a mans masculinity due to the kind of tobacco they smoke then the one doing the questioning should re-evaluate their own masculinity as obviously he is so insecure he must try and talk someone else down to make himself feel bigger. Why belittle someone over what they enjoy? "You're not a real pipe smoker, you're smoking that girly sweet Molto Dulce!" Well that's quite juvenile isn't it?

I guess I'm just ranting. It's really as simple as this. Smoke whatever the heck you dang well please and to the pit with anyone else's opinion on it.

Tonight I smoked some Low Country, Waccamaw. It's a bright leaf and red virginia flake with perique and Izmir. Quite enjoyable. Tomorrow night, I think I'll smoke a bowl of Queen Anne's Revenge... a very sweet aromatic. Because I can. And because I enjoy it. Happy smokes everyone.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still looking for a decent cherry aromatic for the sole purpose of smoking around my wife because she likes it.

I've tried 4 different Boswell aros; they have a Cherry Smash that is quite pleasant smelling but isn't as harsh smoking as some of the other cherry blends I've tried.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@lifesizehobbit

Thank you, I'll look into that one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would never ever make fun of the aromatic smokers. Ludicrous!! Why, I myself will sometimes slip on a dress and load a bowl full of cherry vanilla and unwind from a busy day of cramps... just like my dad. Nothing wrong with it at all. Let people just be who they are.

For the record, I looked for a cherry blend for my wife's benefit as well. But, she eventually said they were all just too syrupy fake smelling. And, she was happy when I went back to my regular rotation. But, I still smoke an aromatic every morning as I feed breakfast to my kids and take them to school. And, there are a few that I like. I actually like them, and I didn't grow breasts, surprisingly.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  41. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic -

You seriously just made me laugh out loud at work.

Perhaps you're not getting the full estrogen effect of Borkum Riff Honey & Orange. Perhaps you should smoke a bowl earlier in the day and then a second as you serve breakfast. It would also help if you wore a frilly apron, perhaps with a daisy print?

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HAHAHAHHAHAH

Why, I myself will sometimes slip on a dress and load a bowl full of cherry vanilla and unwind from a busy day of cramps... just like my dad.

Now that I think about it, when I did smoke a cherry blend around my wife, she said it reminds her of her grandfather. Perhaps that might not be the best association I want with my wife.

Maybe I'll just keep smoking my english, and burley blends, and when she complains I'll just say..."You're welcome"

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Based upon our sales figures, aromatic/semi-aromatic blends make up closer to 95% of our business. The reason that it doesn't seem to be so dominant among the forums is that the vast majority of aro smokers aren't hobbyists and don't frequent these sites. They buy what they like (usually the same blend) and puff away.
    Even though the blends I come up with are predominantly non-aromatic, I certainly don't turn up my nose toward these blends or the people who enjoy them.

Russ

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Based upon our sales figures, aromatic/semi-aromatic blends make up closer to 95% of our business.

That is amazing. I would have guessed the percentage was much lower. I know the market as a whole is dominated by aromatics, but I would have thought that a larger percentage of P&C customers were hobbyists. Fascinating. Also, considering that, we should all be grateful that so many non-aromatic blends are still being made.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, whenever someone comes into the Briary while I happen to be in there and hear them ask for a non aromatic blend, I tend to perk up and introduce myself, because it is a rare thing indeed.

Therefore, since they are the majority, it's quite alright to make fun of those syrupy sugar smoking freaks, ha ha. Just kidding.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. gtrhtr

gtrhtr

Login to Send PM

Being a new guy here who smokes blended tobacco, I hadn't or haven't noticed a anti aromatic movement on the forum. Now I would rather eat paste than smoke 98% of the aromatics out there, to me a pipe smoker is a pipe smoker and we should all stick together.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatic blend sales heavily outweigh any other blend easily at our B&M. The cigar guys who come out as "pipe curious" I tend to steer toward English and VaPer's and they tend to stay into either or both genres.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 3 years ago #
  48. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

I think alot of it is unintentional I'll show some made up examples..

"almost all aromatics are junk tobacco with a goopy toppings , but hey if that's what you like that's your prerogative. Smoke what you like"

"When I was a beginner I smoked aromatics but now I've matured I smoke only english and Virginias."

"I don't normally like Aromatics but once every 5 years I'll smoke 1q.."

"Aromatics are only good to leave open in your bathroom to make it smell nice"

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting sales number from Russ. I knew the percentage was high, but not that high. It is the same thing with cigars. Premium cigars last I heard represented 10% of all cigars sold, and the other 90 is the paper crap like white owls and such.

cosmic said

Yeh, whenever someone comes into the Briary while I happen to be in there and hear them ask for a non aromatic blend, I tend to perk up and introduce myself, because it is a rare thing indeed.

It is obvious that he hates aromatic smokers and ignores them when they come into the shop. I have heard he goes out and slashes their tires while they are purchasing their aro's. Nice guy huh.

I have honestly not seen hardly any aro bashing on this site as most of us do have at least a few in our rotations or cellars. I think the only time I have seen it in a long time is cosmics insulting attitude towards aro smokers at the shop he hangs out at. Maybe if he had his dress on, he would have been nicer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, no I think the problem is confusion. Someone will come on the forum and ask, "Can someone recommend an aromatic that tastes good."
    Then someone will reply, "You can't taste aromatics, but maybe you should try some FVF or Frog Morton."
    "Why do you guys all hate aromatic smokers? You are all so big and mean."

It's not that we have anything against aromatics. Most of us have at least one that we like. It's just that aromatics, as what a newbie will think of as an aromatic, just doesn't give the smoker as much flavor as the other blends. We all know that. Sure, we could recommend an aromatic that does have some tobacco taste, but why not venture a tad further into the deeper water? Learn to really swim, so that you'll better appreciate and enjoy the kiddie pool next time.

Maybe it's them that hates the taste of tobacco? And if so, maybe we should recommend that they use one of them electric things that the smoke actually tastes like bubblegum or cherry.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ref. Russ O.'s post: Wow, 95% aromatics sold through the PC site. That's settles it. The aro smokers are supporting the industry here folks. Dis' aro's at peril of our enjoyment of pipe smoking. He who pays the piper! Or for what the piper pays ... or something. Aromatics are the revenue stream.

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, mso, but 95% of that 95% buys his Captain Black and smokes his pipe while watching the evening news in his underwear, not caring a fig about hanging out with other pipe smokers, joining a forum, or even caring about the differences between an artisan pipemaker and a factory. The other small percentage comes here to try to figure out why he can't taste aromatics.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is Prince Albert considered to be an aromatic? I might be part of the 95% and not even know it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can see enjoying aros, and I did for some years, but when there's Old Joe Krantz in the house... well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

thesinistral

Login to Send PM

(That is a surprising 95% number. wow) I would not say I 'graduated' from aromatics, it's just that my tastes evolved from the heavily cased Cavendish aromatics I started with. It's like the Big Bang. As my universe expands, aromatics are still stars in my galaxy, just farther away and with slightly less twinkle.

I liked the flavors but the underlying tobacco is very one-note when compared to any quality blend IMO. I am now on the hunt for a more complex aromatic, having ordered 'Autumn Evening' 'FireDance Flake', and 'Celtic Talisman'.

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yeh, mso, but 95% of that 95% buys his Captain Black and smokes his pipe while watching the evening news in his underwear, not caring a fig about hanging out with other pipe smokers, joining a forum, or even caring about the differences between an artisan pipemaker and a factory.

In other words, someone who simply enjoys smoking a pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  57. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In honor of this thread I smoked a bowl of BCA tonight.......after two bowls of aged straight Virginia.

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ And I just completed a bowl of Boswell's Cherry Smash. Huzzah!

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. gnome

gnome

Login to Send PM

aromatic vs non, is like mixed drinks vs straight Scotch, it's all good. I mostly smoke straight Va, or VA perique, but am also an unabashed lover of sweet aros. I think if you limit your self to one or the other. you miss one of the joys of pipe smoking, and thats is trying a variety of things.

To lifesizehobbit, a cherry aro your wife will love, is Cult Blood Red Moon. It has the best room note of anything I have tried. It is also the best smoking cherry blend(IMHO).

Posted 3 years ago #
  60. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crap. Whose hiding the bubble gum blend, Cos? That sounds like a good change up from my "Pine Bark and Buffalo Chip s" blend I usually smoke. Any "REAL" pipe smoker knowa you just cannot brag about being a manly smoker untill your throat and tongue have a good creosote lining.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  61. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To lifesizehobbit, a cherry aro your wife will love, is Cult Blood Red Moon. It has the best room note of anything I have tried. It is also the best smoking cherry blend(IMHO).

Gnome - I will add it to my list of future TAD.

Posted 3 years ago #
  62. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for myself, I will not associate with aromatic smokers and believe any tobacco with a food in its name should be banned, and the blenders of such abominations made to write 1,000 times "I am terrible person and a defiler of tobacco."

Similarly, those who taint their whisky with ice or water or ::shudder:: soda should have all their spirits seized from them and be permitted only ever to drink warm ginger beer from a dirty cup.

Eat your steak anything other than rare? Well then a pox on you and your spawn -- if indeed you are even man enough to put a baby in your woman's belly. You will no longer be permitted to dishonor the sacrifice of honest cattle by charring their flesh beyond recognition. Your diet is henceforth limited to cream of wheat and boiled Brussel sprouts.

And, lastly, if you drink decaffeinated coffee, get ye hence from the company of decent folk, for you have no place among them. You are cast into the deepest, dankest, vilest realms. Sleep well.

And can you imagine? My wife says my consumption of tobacco, whisky, rare meat and strong coffee is responsible for making me grumpy sometimes. Silly, right?

Posted 3 years ago #
  63. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cult Blood Red Moon, I keep hearing about this blend and it is a bitch to find. Is it really that good? If it is I will find some and give it a try.

Posted 3 years ago #
  64. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trying to assess the quality of other guys' pipe smoking habits is like trying to assess the quality of their sex or financial lives. We would all somewhat disapprove of someone else's doings, but if they are okay with it, we should be too. We all appreciate the right to be left alone. My only complaint with aromatics is, as mentioned, in recent years they've caused some bite (sting/burn) in my mouth, whereas even full strength non-aros don't cause a problem. Non-aro likes me better.

Posted 3 years ago #
  65. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked PC and ordered 5 tins. I will report back on it's worthiness.

Posted 3 years ago #
  66. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At our pipe club meeting last night, I just tried some Bat in the Hat by F&K. It was ok. I could taste the aromatic quality, unlike the tasteless ones, but the taste just didn't appeal to me.

But, when I tried the MacBaren's Halburg Green, wow. Berries, sour apples, it was like smoking a Jolly Rancher hard candy. It was great, but still, I just don't find myself craving candy smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  67. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andy, that was really funny. I totally remember that episode of South Park that the guy in the video was talking about.

Coppercab became so famous from that rant that south park actually made an episode where cartman did the rant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbawBBj6_0

I don't know if he's a pipe smoker or not but here is a picture of him with a pipe

Posted 3 years ago #
  68. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a most interesting post....Rip on the aro guys under the premise of standing up for them.

I don't recall ever caring what anyone else smoked.

AMEN!

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  69. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ripped on myself, as I set here smoking some Bat in the Hat. What blend smokers have we not ripped on at some point? It's all about having fun. If we can't laugh at ourselves, feel free to laugh at me. I happen to be a redheaded stepchild. Well... what is left is mostly grey, but I'm still a redhead at heart.

Posted 3 years ago #
  70. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LMAO. Cheers to Andy for posting the video, never seen or heard of this boy before, gave me a right old belly laugh it did. I haven't seen south park for years, & then I see the cartman video, marvellous. On a serious note, worrying to see in the U.S. 'Gingers' are allowed to be Christians, I mean come on! It's been a long time since I read the bible, but I don't recall any gingers in it. Not one of the twelve apostles was, I'm certain. Was Mary Magdalene a redhead? I'll have to check. Thanks again for posting the video,best laugh I've had in a long time.

Posted 3 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy, lukasstrifeson, bullet08