PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Aromatic Tobacco? No, they do not find their way in my pipe very often. But when they do, there's beginning to be quite a few that I like. They tend to do the job of resetting my palate.
1. Golden Days of Yore- Cornell &Diehl

2. Ennerdale- Gawith,Hoggarth&Co

3. 1792Flake- Samuel Gawith

4. ChocolateFlake- Samuel Gawith

5. GrasmereFlake- Gawith,Hoggarth&Co
If you haven't tried Golden Days of Yore, try it!
Just started delving into Autumn Evening, it may take the place of one of those on the list. Don't need five and you don't need to be a aromatic hater.

soshoresig

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Fairly new, but I have tried these blends and enjoyed them:

1. Nat Sherman 314

2. Peterson Sweet Kilarney

3. MacBaren Vanilla Cream

4. L.J. Peretti Coffee

5. L.J. Peretti Whiskey Cavendish

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Just for him shortcut to mushrooms

Boswell Christmas cookie

Dan tobac sweet vanilla honeydew

G and h bobs chocolate flake

I haven't met five that I like so I have four.

Jun 4, 2014
I don't have five favorite aromatic blends, but I do keep number one on hand for when I get hankering.

1. Boswells Bear Blend

2. Boswells Berry Cobber

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Leaving aside the Lakelands...
Pipeworks & Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish

Pipeworks & Wilke #191

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening

Peterson Connoisseur's Choice

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Just for him shortcut to mushrooms
That's about the only one I can think of that I enjoy. I like MacB Golden Extra, but I don't really think it fully qualifies as an aro. Some may disagree though.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
G. l. Pease's The Virginia Cream

Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening
And that's pretty much all I can take.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks offered me a sample of Edward G. Robinson at a pipe show, and I bought a tin. The sample at the show was most pleasant, but I still haven't cracked the tin. Am looking forward to that. However, there are so many exquisite non-aromatics, I really have a hard time choosing an aro off the shelf. I crave the tobacco forward blends and evade the flavorings, mostly. Have given away most of my aros to fellow vets in Asheville who really crave that flavored leaf.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Lane 1-Q

...that's all I can say for an aromatic I like. I tend to like the real thing, naturally aged or fermented or cured via fire in some fashion. Even those I seek out something that doesn't bite as I smoke a lot.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I enjoy tobacco from each genre, just like I like some country music, some Rap music but, not all.

That being said, I'm not an aromatic hater. It doesn't bother me when some talk bad about aro's.

I sometimes think people just roll with the crowd in their distaste for aromatics.

I find aro's to be very mild and smooth. I don't get the bite some say when they describe them.
Russ' from P&C, his monthly blends that I get from the Tobacco of the Month Club are very good in my opinion.

"Cavendish in the Woods" was very good in my opinion.
But I'm a guy who will smoke a bowl of Escudo then turn around and pack a bowl of Captain Black Cherry.

As a old school aro, I like C&D Crooner, plus a few Lakelands.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Dark Birdseye- they say it's unflavored, but I pick up violet and almond

Irish Flake- Anise topping

Grasmere- It takes a real man to handle all this rose oil.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm beginning to think Smoking aromatics first when Learning to smoke a pipe, is a bad idea. Developing some technique first, has made aromatics more enjoyable.
I'm glad I did this thread, that Two Friends English Chocolate is calling my name. I had dreams of smoking it last night. Tarlar and Pease team up, those Two Friends blends must be a treasure.
Big pond Grasmere is awesome. I get notes of strawberry from time to time with Grasmere.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree. I have long held that aromatics, especially goopers, are more challenging than plainer blends.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I don't normally smoke aromatics but that Just For Him "Short cut to Mushrooms" has more of an earthy flavor to me that I really dig.
Top 5
#1 - "Old Toby" from www.thecountrysquireonline.com

#2 - "Shortcut to Mushrooms" - JFH

Status
Not open for further replies.