PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
So I pretty much swore off all aros because of tongue bite and generally unpleasant nasty experiences; however, since the weather is starting to cool I have had a hankering for aros. I have no idea why. It is like I am a pregnant woman or something. I just had the craving.
I pulled out some tobaccos I had not touched in 6 or 7 months. Strange thing is I like them again. I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on aros that do not kill my tongue, and have actual flavor instead of just a nice room note. So far Boswell's Christmas Cookie, WO Larsen 1864 Perfect Mixture, Tinderbox 1928, and Erinmore are pleasing me. I just ordered some 1Q since people here swear by it.
Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Man i really like Villegers 1888 Mid Day. Very good vanilla and fruit. Ive only had two bowls so far but no tongue bite as of yet.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Boswell Nobitedelite is a very good one. And I'm currently hooked on their Chocolate Cream.

Jul 15, 2011
7 Seas Royal by MacBaren is one of the only things that I have been smoking lately. Really good flavor but I find that I have to let mine dry out a little bit before I smoke it.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Well I'll be damned, I didn't know that Aros is what's causing my tongue to hurt/sting/feel like I want to amputate it.
Why is it so? More to the point, how can I get a sweet, fragrant tasting smoke (I don't give a rat's patootie about room note, just taste) without it being an Aro? Is such a thing possible? Now I'm all a dither, bordering on being disturbed by this revelation. Sorry to hijack, but by god this has thrown me into a tailspin.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
aussielass, virginias will give you sweet without added flavoring. i know you want a good nicotine kick too so i'd suggest orlik golden sliced - sweet with a touch of orange flavor to it but still delivers the nicotine.
other than virginias i'd suggest sugar barrel but i doubt you can get it there.

Jul 15, 2011
virginias will give you sweet without added flavoring. i know you want a good nicotine kick too so i'd suggest orlik golden sliced
+1 on Orlik. I recently got my hands on some Jacknife Plug thanks to a forum member and it is a great, hearty, super sweet smoke that doesn't scorch my tongue, as some Virginias are known for doing. Good stuff!

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Adirondack Gold from Cup o' Joes is a really fine aro that I save for special occasions.... :clap:

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Can't get Orlik here boys, I spent hours trying but it just doesn't get to our fair shores it would seem. Damn & double damn. Still, now I'm on the search for Virginia's, thanks for the tip it's really appreciated.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
aussielass, if you have some time, call or email Rich at 4Noggins. :wink: :wink:
As for aromatics, my favourite by far is Butternut Burley. Can't get enough of this stuff. Over the 2 years that I've been smoking pipe, it's my constant goto.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am now a 1-Q disciple. It's a great intro and can easily become a go-to baccy for any occasion. 7 Seas Royal is a good one, but needs some dry time. 1-Q, as is in my experience a solid smoke straight drom the pouch. Altadis Creme Brulee has a wonderful smell but also needs some sittin' time. I remember back in Oktober my best friend and I were smoking indoors. I was smoking Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey and he was smoking Creme Brulee and a visitor announced, upon entering the house. "OH MY GOD It smells awesome in here!"
This propted me to wonder if Altadis Creme Brulee could be mixed with Rivrside Whiskey for the ultimate aro experience. Nat Sherman flexed their tobacco experience muscles as it smoked great from the bag. Creme Brulee needed some dry time, but I absolutely LOVE it.
Tongue bite should not be an issue if you smoke slow and steady, don't drool in your pipe stem and tamp judiciously and frequently.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Get yourself some Petersons 2011 Christmas Holiday Season, anybody into a rich Aromatic will love this, just the thing for your xmas morning pipe, fruity and spicey, hard to know wether to eat it or smoke it.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
When it comes to aromatics I usually turn to Gawith Hoggarth & Co especially their Caribbean Coconut and Coffee Caramel or McLintocks Black Cherry or Orange Dream.
Aromatics can arrive much damper than they should be for smoking. Letting them dry a little and smoking them real slow should help reduce any tongue burn.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Stanwell's Vanilla has come nice orientals mixed in - it's a very tasty smoke. Not a heavy aro by any sense of the imagination. Great in a big bowl.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Amphora full aroma is a wonderful Virginia cavendish tobacco that is scented in the Dutch tradition. Not cased or steeped in some sort of goopy flavouring sauce but scented in much the same way that say Earl Grey is scented with bergamot. The result is a great tobacco that has a light soft sweet scent and full flavour. Also, give W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture a whirl. It also is not super steamy wet with casing goo and it is one of the few aromatics that tastes just like its heavenly smell. Lane 1Q as mentioned is always an awesome old faithful aromatic that, in my opinion, reqires some drying time or it will steam up and bite you. I also find that adding just a pinch of an aromatic to a neutral well made bright va makes for an excellent smoke. I use Hamborger Veermaster for the Va in these concotions quite often.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have big tin of Orlik that I have never dipped into. I'll give it a go too.
The Gawith & Hoggarth stuff all sounds interesting and tasty.
Amphora is something else intriguing. Do the Dutch flavor their tobaccos using a different method?

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
When it comes to aromatics, I'm a big fan of Boswell's blends and those from Pipeworks and Wilke. You can order samplers from P&W and Boswell's will sell you small quantities of their blends. You should be able to find some favorites that way. I'll also cast votes for Butternut Burley and 1Q. My wife once walked in the room when I was smoking 1Q and said "That tobacco smells good enough to eat!".
Smokey

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I dont know how the Dutch do it, but they do it so lightly and so well. They just seem to lightly perfume the tobacco so that it doesnt really come through in the mouth feel or taste other than being slightly sugared, but it comes accross very well to anyone sniffing the room note. The Amphora Full Aroma is an excellent tobacco for those that like tobacco and also like to smell nice. The taste and mouth feel is that of tobacco and the room note is a wonderful soft sweetness and spice.

Status
Not open for further replies.