Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So I'm very curious about flake type tobacco's. I went and purchased Escudo and it's pretty good (I know not an aro) however I'm curious if anyone could recommend an aromatic flake. I was thinking of trying Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. I think sometime I may have to also try GH's rum flake.
Are there any other aromatic flake's people would recommend?
Thanks

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
+10 on the 1792,love,love,love IT!(think I got a couple pounds of it some where around here)

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
SG 1792 is pretty good. Actually I just picked up another tin of it last night. MacB's Vanilla Cream Flake is also good; I recommend the "fold n' stuff" method with it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll have to try a few of those.
Shawn I've seen those ropes on smokingpipes.com. How the heck do you smoke those? Do you run roll it first or something?

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Shawn I've seen those ropes on smokingpipes.com. How the heck do you smoke those? Do you run roll it first or something?
I slice mine with a razor blade into 1/8" slices and rub it out. I've tried 2 ropes, GH&C Black Irish x and the Sweet Maple. The Black Irish X was awful, but the Sweet Maple was awesome.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I baked a tin of Erinmore like Fearly suggested and it was so much better, supposed to hasten the ageing, 180 degs for 5 hrs, next one I do I" ll up it to 190. The old cajun

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
It's a broken flake but the best I know of is Russ Ouellette's Classic Burley Flake. I love this tobacco (it's my #2 smoke) and my wife loves the room note. You can get it at Pipes and Cigars.

Smokey

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks everyone. I'll be adding that Erinmore, SG 1792 and some SG chocolate flake to my tad excel spreadsheet along with the maple rope.
Smokey it's funny I had just ordered last night a tin of that Classic Burley Kake after reading the interview they have on here with Russ. I can't wait to try it.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Mac Baren Navy Flakes
Tin description: "A mild flake blended from the finest Burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and Cavendish. Navy Flake is light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy."
It is a very enjoyable flake. I just tried it for the first time recently and will be stocking up.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
I find G&H Scotch Flake Aromatic to be very enjoyable.
Not a flake, but a rope, Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Maple Twist is pretty frickin awesome!!!
Agreed!
I use cigar scissors to cut off slices as thin as possible, I then rum it out and dry for an hour or so. This is a fantastic blend, I don't find it overly sweet, I barley pick up the casing.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Hey Old Cajun, How do you go about baking your tobaccos?

Sounds pretty interesting and easy to do.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Shawn, what was it you didn't like about Black Irish? I've wanted to try it for a while, do you like stronger plugs and flakes like those from Peterson?

Status
Not open for further replies.