a deep cherry (vanilla, fruit, Amaretto, etc.) haze for newbies on their way

to dropping the habit or moving on to grown-up stuff. However, I would really

miss the occasional bowl of some of the subtler sweet stuff by way of

a little whisky dressing or a whiff of vanilla from black cavendish. I would

say something with an aromatic dimension is about one in three in my

rotation. I guess it's too late to grow out of it. I like a bowl of Granger now

and then, and though it is mostly burley, I think it is aromatic by "the

Wellman's process," which is some sort of secret dressing. Lowkey is

the best style for aromatics. Another guilt pleasure.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I've been smoking pipes for a few years, and though my favorites include Penzance and Black House (not really because they're more "mature" blends, but because my palette has broadened), I still enjoy my aromatics occasionally, two in particular: Altidus makes a blend called "Creme Brulee," and Lane has a tasty one named "BCA." The taste expires quickly, though, so I tend to dump the bowl before reaching bottom -- unlike my Balkans or VaPers.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I don't think that everybody thinks that. A lot of people do though, and I think it's because most pipe smokers start off smoking aros. I did, but once I tasted my first english blend I was hooked on the latakia and orientals. Everyone is different and as the saying goes "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke." There are several guys on here who have been smoking a pipe for years and they smoke mostly if not solely aros. After all this hobby is about pleasure and relaxation (at least for me). So smoke what pleases you and don't worry what other people think or say.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I've been smoking "aromatics" off and on for 40-something years. So I certainly don't think they're for novices only. And don't forget that Latakia too is, technically, an aromatic.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've been smoking "aromatics" off and on for 40-something years. So I certainly don't think they're for novices only. And don't forget that Latakia too is, technically, an aromatic.

30-something years for me.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Pay no attention to what "they" say - smoke what you like.
(I like flakes and lat bombs - wanna make something of it?) :D

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think aros were very popular in the early-mid part of the 1900s. Personally I think the disdain for aros is a more recent phenom; but I'll admit there is a subtly to non-aros that takes an educated tongue to discern the many nuances. Aros are a bit easier to enjoy straight off, so this may be why some (definitely not all) non-aro smokers look down their nose at aro smokers.
For me, aros take me straight back to my grandfather's old brownstone in Manhattan. My grandmother would dote on us, give us all 7-up (fridge was always well stocked with 7up!) Good times...good times... :puffy:

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
English tobaccos find its way in my pipes most occasions. But normally after dinner smoke is something sweet. Nothing wrong with variety. Mix some penzance with molto dolce and then you got something.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I think it kinda funny that someone can smoke a pipe, not caring what the nicotine nazis say or what public opinion says is fashionable or anything else. That same person then cares greatly what other people think of their tobacco choices. You do what you like an if you like it then the process is done, screw everyone else. If you don't like it ask for advice and treat it as such, advice.
My go to Aro is captain black and I know that makes a lot of people cring *i'm looking at you mikephilips :p* but I won't stop because of then and I won't stop asking for it at the gas station next to my house even if the attendant looks at me funny every time I I in there because I know what I like so screw em'

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Rothnh, I feel like I should point out to you my name doesn't have an A and there's not suposed to be one there, although I do like your rendition of it lol
Mike, After re-reading my post I hope you don't think I was saying "screw em" at you personally or anything, I just remember you bashing Aros in a few other posts, I actually have blending Perq which I add to my blends, although I still fon't think I like it as much as you!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Dont be ashamed about aros,I have been smoking for alittle while now and love them. I have about 50 something pipes and 3 of them are for english blends. But if you do want to try some english, I would recommend any of the Boswell english. They are alittle pricey, but O so good.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Aros have come back to life for me since I started mixing them 50/50 with Carter Hall. Yeah I know...Carter Hall. CH by itself is a pretty uninteresting smoke, but combine it with an aro or an English (especially one you don't care for) is an enjoyable smoke. CH also takes the tongue bite out for me. My favorite blend so far is C&D Autumn Evening 50/50 with CH. Autumn Evening tears up my mouth if I smoke it solo. Bonus: my wife likes the smell!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Didn't Brian mention in one episode that about 90% of all pipe tobacco sold is aromatic?
I say smoke what you like. I started on aros and gave English blends a try but after a few different blends I've given up on Lady Latakia for now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some nominal aromatics are pretty much tobacco. That was my impression of Peterson's Whisky. And why

I liked the tin I had. The "whisky" disappeared over time, and what was left, I liked better and better. Also,

many aros are nicely done and leave a pretty good tobacco flavor and don't overdo the dressing. One point

here -- it's not just whim or inspiration. According to a researcher friend (Baylor educated) people taste

things radically differently. The simplest most indisputable flavors -- maple sugar, lemon, salt, etc. We

are not getting the same taste. Some people can't stand liver; others can't stand lamb; most people like them

to some extent or very much. Same on the vegetarian side. Most kids have trouble with some vegetables, find

the somewhat repulsive; other kids (this was me) are fascinated by the different flavors from the beginning.

Probably genetic, experiential, physiological, and so on.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I thought I hated aros until I smoked Peterson's Sunset Breeze. It made search again for good aros of which it is the highest caliber.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Aromatics are the largest selling segment in the pipe tobacco world, so the guys who don't smoke them are the freaks. I am currently smoking a bowl of Peterson University flake which I consider to be an aromatic, so I am not a freak like some of you neophytes. :nana: I wish the whole world was filled with guys who smoked Captain Black, imagine walking into a movie theater and every one was smoking CB, how awesome would that smell? I don't think anyone should ever apologize for their taste in tobacco, the fact that you have a pipe sticking out of your gaping maw means you are ok in my book.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I've smoked mostly burley blends and latikia blends for nearly 50 years (come next Oct), and only last year discovered some of the nicer aros. Can't say that I would classify them as for FNG's, although, as a few have said, many gravitate toward them at the beginning for stated reasons. I find them to be a nice break from the more robust English/Balkans and rather solid burleys. Besides, I get more positive comments from the Fair Ones with 1Q than with Lat bombs....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
+1 rhogg, I had a bowl of SunsetBreeze today,it's a great tobacco. As a result I have a tin of Peterson Conisseurs Choice and Sweet Killarney waiting to be cracked open.

Status
Not open for further replies.