Tags:  No tags yet. 

Aromatic Blends for the Non-Aromatic Smoker

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by pipingfool
  • Latest reply from dochudson
  1. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

So I'm hoping for a little advice here. I regularly smoke Va/Pers, English Blends, Dark Fired blends, etc. I will just about smoke anything (except for straight Burley; just not my cup of tea unless it's Semois, and that is on a rare occasion).

My wife hates my pipe smoking vehemently (surprise, surprise), but she says that it's because the blends that I smoke smell too much like a cigarette (fair enough; we're both reformed cigarette smokers and really can't stand the smell of them) and that her memories of her grandfather involved a more aromatic and pleasant smell.

Here is the rub. I want to be somewhat flexible with what I smoke and possibly make it to where I can smoke when I'm around her more often, but I generally do not like Aromatic blends. While I'm not opposed to the smell of a nice aromatic, I've found that most don't taste like much in the tobacco department.

I ordered a few small samples of Aromatics from The Country Squire (listen to the podcast and I'm a MS native, so I was intrigued), and while they are pretty good, they still lack the "oomph" of my Non-Aro blends (both in flavor and Vitamin N).

I'm wondering if anyone here in their infinite wisdom has some recommendations for some blends that I could try. Something that will satisfy both my need for some authentic tobacco taste and strength as well as smell pleasant to those around me.

I also would rather not have to dedicate specific pipes to Aromatics if possible. I have several Cobs that I usually use on the rare occasion that I smoke an Aromatic, but I prefer my briars and would like to use them if possible. But this is not a deal breaker. Cobs are great pipes and deliver a good smoke, so I can certainly make do if need be.

Thanks in Advance for your guidance!

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Some people can probably recommend some mixtures of aromatic and non-aromatics that would be palatable to both you and your wife. GL Pease's The Virginia Cream scratches my aromatic itch, and my wife likes the smell. In fact, it's one of only a couple indoor-approved blends I smoke.

You may not find it strong enough for your taste, but it definitely won't ghost your pipes. I smoek it in my Virginia and VA/Per pipes.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lakelands. They're the only ones I've found to give me a nic hit. Not even with the fabled Nightcap did I feel any nicotine effects.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

@Hap - Thanks. I've been eyeing Virginia Cream for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger. But seeing as 80% of my cellar consists of GLP blends, I'm pretty sure that I would like it.

@Olkofri - Appreciate the suggestion. While I do enjoy some of the Lakeland blends, the issue that I've noticed lately is that they can be hit or miss on the availability. The nic hit isn't the most crucial thing, but I would still like to feel like I'm smoking tobacco and not cotton candy.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. tenton

tenton

Login to Send PM

Maybe find what Aro she likes (mine like Molto Dolce) and mix it with some Five Bros. for a nic hit / tobacco flavor.

Wondering what you thought of Country Squire Parsons Blend.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

@tenton - Good suggestion. I may have to go that route.

I have some Molto Dolce and have smoked it around her and she didn't throw up, but it is too sweet for me and haunts my pipes like a deranged Poltergeist. I would have to blend with something else.

I didn't get the Parsons Blend. I got Rivendell, which is pretty good but a little light in the flavor/body department. I also got the White Rose which I enjoyed quite a bit actually. But it's a little one note to me and would get a little monotonous if I smoked it all the time.

I also got Old Toby which is waaayyy too sweet for me. Very reminiscent of Molto Dolce actually.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

As I viewed this post I am smoking some Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend that just might meet your criteria.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing you could do is to turn an issue of contention into a matter of contentment: make her part of the hunt for the ideal blend. Bring her along to the tobacconist and let her smell the blends available, even let her choose one for you (hard to complain about something one chose oneself, eh?). Yes, you're likely to hate the taste of some of the choices, but so what? Because we don't have your tongue or her nose, we can't really help you much; this is a hunt you must embark on yourself and it'd be positive to include her in the selection process: if she sees that you're taking pains to please her she's more likely to be more sympathetic and less critical, and even tolerate the occasional campfire stench of some English blends.

During the search you might end up liking something you couldn't stomach earlier. Did I ever mention I hated olives and now crave them?

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have tried to like some aromatics, but I can't. The closest I get is St Bruno Flake.
    Clean virginias give a pleasant odor IMO. FVF, Capstan Blue and the likes of those.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

St. Bruno: Ready Rubbed or flake. A BIG YES...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ Yup. I’ll add Erinmore Flake too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. echambers

echambers

Login to Send PM

Try some of the blends listed as “English Aromatics.” These tend not to be overly sweet and sticky like say Molta Dolca.

"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  13. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might try Peterson's University Flake if you haven't yet.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

HGL, Perfection, St Bruno Flake, Bob's Chocolate/Mayors Collection Chocolate, a lot of the Gawith blends.

But if your wife is like mine, it can largely be a question of mood. A tobacco she adores today when you're her hero can elicit a different reaction tomorrow when you're in the dog house.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And lets not forget Samuel Gawith: 1792 Flake ...MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

My wife actually likes the aroma of Haddo's Delight.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Have you tried Autumn Evening? That one smells nice, has plenty of red VA flavor to my palate and I find thatit blends extremely well. A lot of the non-aromatic blends are going to be a problem in terms of reminding someone of cigarette aroma, IMO. The problem, of course, is that pipe tobacco is made of the exact same leaf that ends up in cigarettes with a few differences. One of the differences is added flavorings and scents. Another is in the use of condimental leaf like Latakia, perique and DFK. Unless your wife likes the aromas of those tobaccos, you might be in a tight spot.

How about the aroma of cigars? Does she mind that? Maybe cigar leaf based blends wouldn't be as offensive?

I like Olkofri's suggestion of involving your wife in the process.

I might also suggest making your own. I am sure you can find some resources on using natural flavorings and use them to doctor up some non-aros. Maybe some members have experience with that?

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two suggestions. Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake is essentially a Virginia, but a light topping gives it a very pleasant aroma that most people seem to like. If that's not quite good enough smelling to please your wife, try Mac Baren Vanilla Flake. It has an obvious natural vanilla accent and flavor, yet manages to not be sweet.

The Mac Baren Mixture recommendation is solid, too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about Savinelli Essenza Cipriota? It is definitely aromatic, tobacco forward.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I'll second Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake as well as Peter Stokkebye Optimum. Optimum is nice and fruity/sweet. I was never an aromatic smoker. But, I have been trying some nice ones lately and really am glad to be able to break up the routine with a nice sweet, fruity tobacco from time to time.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

justanotherdude

Login to Send PM

Lane RLP-6 has a very nice aroma and doesn't taste too much like an aro. Not sure on the nic hit you're looking for though.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Autumn Evening cut 50/50 with Brown Bogie is too legit to quite. The aroma makes wives horny too... It’s true, it’s true.

Also been digging Mac Baren Navy Flake & Mixture Flake lately and they both have a wonderful room-notes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake - great vanilla aroma on what would be a great VaBur Flake on its own without the topping

Mac Baren Club Blend - Typical Mac Baren sweet Virginias with their honey/maple casing. Plenty of dark fired Kentucky as well. Nonsmokers compliment the smell all the time, with “roasted marshmallows” a common description

Erinmore Flake - fruity apricot topping on a hefty VaBur flake

GL Pease Barbary Coast - Cube cut burley, red Virginia, and Perique with a brandy topping. Kinda tastes and smells like chocolate covered cherries. This is a blend I will only smoke after eating as it always gives me a big nic hit

Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake - A VaPer that also has a little bit of a sweet topping (I think rum), that also gets a lot of compliments for the aroma

Posted 6 days ago #
  24. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amphora Original Blend: Moderate strength, good flavor, lightly aromatic.

If you're willing to try Lakelands, I recommend Kendal Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. You'll need to dedicate a pipe to it.

Posted 6 days ago #
  25. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only blends my wife likes the scent of are straight Virginia’s. She doesn’t like the smell of vapers or Lakelands. The luxury twist is worth a try. Give a straight VA a trial, rum usually smells nice, try C&D Blockade Runner. HH Pure Virginia is approved at my house.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 6 days ago #
  26. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

GLP Navigator in a Santa Claus figural meer by Medet, with coffee and the morning paper.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 days ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Oops! Wrong thread. Well, at 5:30 AM whaddya expect?

Posted 5 days ago #
  28. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

St. Ives from Esoterica is an excellent cross over blend. I often will put Latakia into an aromatic for something with a pleasant smell and great taste.

A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a Ferrari.
    Posted 4 days ago #
  29. pipingfool

pipingfool

Login to Send PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think the best thing for me to do will be to find an Aromatic that she won't find offensive and maybe blend a little more Red Virginia or Dark Fired leaf in with it to give it the flavor and strength that I'm looking for.

For those of you that recommended I take her to a shop to let her smell some Aromatics or buy some samples and let her smell them, I applaud your optimism. But I can guarantee you that she would not be up for that venture.

Smoking as a whole is not something that she is down with, and I respect her enough to not suggest it. However, she has on occasion surprised me by encouraging me to find a tobacconist when we are on vacation, and she just recently told me to order that new pipe that I had been eyeing for my birthday. But those instances are few and far between.

But there were several suggestions of brands that now I just want to try just because I am curious. Thanks again to everyone!

Posted 4 days ago #
  30. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I like Esoterica Pembroke a lot...more than Margate, actually. It might not be an aro per se, but the cognac gives the aroma a little boost.

I recently discovered SG Kendal Cream Flake, and I enjoy that one a lot.

Both of these have the S.O.'s approval. Strangely enough she doesn't like Mac Baren Scottish Mixture or MM965, also considered a Scottish blend. I'll have to ask her opinion about Scotch whisky, butterscotch, Scotch tape, Scotch shortbread, Scotch ale, actor Scott Bakula, and Scottish terriers.

Posted 4 days ago #
  31. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd choose widely available old classics Erinmore Flake St Brunos and perhaps both Amphoras,the original Brown and Red,+ some McBarens basic offerings such as navy Flake and Scottish mix,these two are milder in nic.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 days ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

tradition

Login to Send PM

I'm a non-aromatic smoker but I love Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Always have a tub around.

Posted 2 days ago #
  33. jeff59

jeff59

Login to Send PM

For me I keep it simple. She likes the aroma of Lanes 1Q. Also Capt Black Gold mixed with just a tad of PA.

Posted 2 days ago #
  34. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try C&D Stringduster, Virginia and Turkish with a touch of maple and rum. My wife loves the room note, I love the tobacco.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 day ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

justanotherdude

Login to Send PM

One thing you could do is to turn an issue of contention into a matter of contentment: make her part of the hunt for the ideal blend. Bring her along to the tobacconist and let her smell the blends available, even let her choose one for you (hard to complain about something one chose oneself, eh?). Yes, you're likely to hate the taste of some of the choices, but so what? Because we don't have your tongue or her nose, we can't really help you much; this is a hunt you must embark on yourself and it'd be positive to include her in the selection process: if she sees that you're taking pains to please her she's more likely to be more sympathetic and less critical, and even tolerate the occasional campfire stench of some English blends.

Best advice in this thread @Olkofri, oh wise and benevolent sage! Wait....I don't have a wife to appease anymore. Still great advice though.

Posted 1 day ago #
  36. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take a look at Boswells.. Their Bear Blend may work for you.

Posted 1 day ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   marc75, ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1