PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Since I started back in pipe smoking a couple of months ago I've smoked English Blends mainly and love them. But I notice a lot of Non-Aro smokers have at least 1 Aro in their rotation. Is there a good tasting aromatic than a non-aromatic would enjoy?
Toadshade

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I use lanes RLP-6 as my main go to aro, to keep the crowd happy if i am around other people. Its not so sweet that you miss out on the natural flavour, i also mix it with turkish ribbon for a bit of extra flavour

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I mostly smoke English blends but when do go an aromatic I choose Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. Mixed cuts of Va's with a cognac topping. The taste and aroma are amazing. If you'd like to try some PM me your address. I've sent many members here samples and all have included it in their rotations afterwards.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I am allergic to Propylene Glycol so don't have a ton of feedback for you but there is one aro that I have been able to smoke. Russ Ouellette, in his blog post entitled About Aromatics, stated that his H&H Berry Nice was manufactured without the use of a humicant (PG being the usual suspect) and that it wasn't the usual goopy mess typically associated with aromatic pipe tobaccos.
I was intrigued as I don't fore-go aros for the typical reasons stated. I've actually been disappointed that I couldn't fully explore the genre and decide for myself due to my allergy. So, I ordered an ounce to test and sure enough, no reaction and it doesn't smoke any wetter than any other tobacco that I smoke. So, if you are a non-aro smoker that wants to dabble but not looking forward to the tongue bite and lighting problems associated with most aromatics, then you might put Hearth & Home Berry Nice on your list of considerations.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I recently got to sample Peterson's Nutty Cut. Definitely something I would never buy without sampling first, but I liked it. The mustache note was dried fruit & macadamia nuts, and lasted for some time! I can see me buying a tin for the upcoming holidays.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
SG Chocolate Flake ... A fine Va/Bur on it's own with a pinch of Latakia and semi-sweet cocoa.
Mac Baren's Symphony ... also a cocoa topping but with less Virginia and added Cavendish.
Besides a light cocoa or occasional light whiskey topping, I just can't do Aro's.
These two blends still offer me the tobacco I desire with just a hint of being aromatic.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Go to your local B&M and find one that smells good. Then buy some C&D dark burley and mix in there abut 2/3 aro to 1/3 burley. It makes any aro taste much much better and gives it some nic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like natibo's recipe, since I happen to have some CD Dark Burley on hand. My test for aromatics, being someone who

likes many English blends and a number of burley blends, is to ask if an aromatic has tobacco-forward flavor. I don't like

it when the sweetness or flavoring is forward. Edward G. Robinson, Queen Anne's Revenge (Altadis), and Lanes LL-7 fill

that bill for me. But there is such a vast selection of aromatics, seemingly more than half the pipe tobacco market, that

you have a lot of work to do to find your own favorite. Whatever someone else suggests may not hit the spot. Dark

Obsession, a Cavendish with walnut, also from Altadis, is another aro that smokes well on its own and mixes nicely too.

Non-aromatics are my favorites. Aromatics are a tasty change-up now and then, but not essential, for me.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I am not an aro smoker either but all of Russ Ouellette's monthly blends are good. I am smoking "Apple Fritter" as I type this and it is a very good smoke for an aro. Also his "Nut Cluster" from last month was very good. Pick a few from the list at Pipes & Cigars and try a small sample. You will not be disappointed.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
McClelland has nice aromatics. Town Topic is a nice maple blend with no PG.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I too am not an aromatic smoker but I do find that once in a while it's a nice change from Balkans or English mixtures.
Some time back I tried some Pembroke which I found pleasant but found it difficult to keep lit. The most recent exploration was with Molto Dolce which was actually good tasting. Quite a surprise...

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I would recommend Boswell's Bear Blend for a traditional aromatic which has good tobacco flavor. For a crossover aromatic which has a strong tobacco base, University Flake is nice.

I like Molto Dolce, but I've overloaded my taste buds a few times on it, so I will wait a while before trying it again. I also really like MacBaron's Vanilla Flake for my morning smoke. It really compliments a strong black coffee, IMO. I've tried a few others, H&D Original Orange and a few others. But, none strike me that same way as these.

My girlfriend wants me to try the Blackberry Brandy at the B&M, but it smells like a tongue scorcher, way too sweet.

I figure if I just smoke one smoke for the family while I prepare them breakfast, then I can smoke what I want the rest of the day. But, I draw the line at bitey blends and those that I can't taste. Vanilla Flake is the best compromise, because I really like the taste. A quality flake, IMO. Plus, the kids don't go to school smelling like they were at an all night poker game. :puffy:

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
If I'm correct you've mentioned being a fan of McClelland's Frog Morton blends? In that same Craftsbury Series is the Grey Havens. I've seen it listed as both an Aro and a Non-Aro. I've recently bought a tin myself and am enjoying it. I do not care for the syrupy goop that some Aros bring to the table but like a more light sweetness. Grey Havens seems to work for me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.