Aro blend that actually tastes great

(95 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by blackadderlxx
  • Latest reply from 5star
  1. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always heard rave reviews about Autumn Evening. It's ok, and I keep some set back. But, it really isn't much more than another run of the mill aromatic. It doesn't have nearly the strength, nor flavor that I have always heard it does.

But, my wife likes the pancake smell, so I do smoke it from time to time. But, as with all aromatics, I don't really taste it. You just sort of smell it while smoking, somewhat.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Autumn Evening was interesting. I've only had one bowl so far, and I'm not sure where I am with it, but the maple syrup thing was interesting. I like that it actually tasted like tobacco though. On retrohale, the flavoring kind of reminded me of celery. I'll need to try it some more.

I bought a tin of Autumn Evening last year and didn't care much for it. To me, it was like smoking artificial maple syrup pancakes. I jarred it up and stuck it in the cellar to revisit later.

I tried it again about a month ago and found that I really like it, enough that I will always keep some on hand as a seasonal fall and winter blend. I was previously (last year) not drying it out enough and smoking it too hot. With proper drying, and smoking coolly, I can taste the Virginia tobacco plus a maple / brown sugar flavor that compliments the tobacco. While this is not some goopy aromatic, the casing / topping is a bit on the strong side, and I might prefer it to be a bit more subtle, but Autumn Evening is a good smoke.

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I did get the vanilla flake - no comment

but I did find an Aro I actually do like a lot finally, HU Hadde’s Best Irish

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 10 months ago #
  4. texasfiremedic

texasfiremedic

Login to Send PM

+1 for Autumn evening recently tried it as well and I enjoyed it. I've heard good things of Christmas spice and black gold Maple from Cornell and Diehl.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

But, as with all aromatics, I don't really taste it. You just sort of smell it while smoking, somewhat.

Whereas all aros taste the same as they smell to me.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Duane, I never speak for all of humanity. It is just that as with tasting foods, like discerning lemons from limes, for most of us this is not 100% done on the tongue, but a combination tastebuds and olfactory senses. There may be some of us who are supertasters. But, even steak is not 100% sensed on the tastebuds for us regular folks.

But, note that the genre is called "aromatic" not "flavored".

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Whereas all aros taste the same as they smell to me.

I've never had that experience. Well, maybe Autumn Evening.

Posted 10 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

erhardt85

Login to Send PM

I'm gonna have to buy some autumn evening to cellar. It makes sense that it becomes better with time. I'm guessing the virginia Cavendish base makes for an increasingly sweet and tasty treat. I was going to focus on stocking up on GH flakes but with the recent passing of several blends I want to load up on my GL Pease favorites as it seems more likely that one if those blends will disappear first.

Posted 10 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I've never had that experience. Well, maybe Autumn Evening.

Took me a couple of decades to get there.

Posted 10 months ago #
  10. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s just so subjective. I think if I had no sense of smell I wouldn’t be able to tell much about one tobacco from the other. But yet then I don’t seem to care for aros, where it should seem to make a lot of sense that I would if my sense of smell is integral. Then of course there’s the tobacco reviews equating tobacco tastes to food tastes - of which I get zero sense of any similarity between tobacco and food. I can sense things that remind me of food occasionally - like nuttiness, a sharpness similar to dark chocolate, some element reminding me of sweetness - but not sweetness. Often terms I want to use to describe tobacco flavors are more related to things I smell than things I eat or drink - like earthy, leathery, hickory.

But in the end - I like it - or I don’t. I think some of us are just programmed to sense tobacco differently from others.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the past year or so I’ve been having a lot of fun putting together my own blends. Generally I prefer Virginia and vaper commercial blends, but all of my attempts to blend my own of that type have at best been worthy of no regard, with most being abject failures. I’m batting about .100 with that style (with a total of about 20 different combos). On the other hand, I’ve made several several tobacco-forward aro blends that have been great and of which I’ve mixed up several ounces after taste testing. Invest in some good components and have at it.

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think if I had no sense of smell I wouldn’t be able to tell much about one tobacco from the other.
    Wellll, that's me. I have no sense of smell what so ever, but I can tell different blends apart. Not all, but some.It's like some one who is color blind, they see certain shades of grey as green,red etc...

"the weez"...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  13. pastorpiper

pastorpiper

Login to Send PM

For an aro I really like is SWR aro. Good flavor but still burley forward. Not too sweet. Nice smoke.
    I tend to like tobacco that is mild on sweetness. SWRa fits that bill for me.

Posted 10 months ago #
  14. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried Autumn Evening last night. It was a courtesy purchase that I made when smoking at a shop with friends. My cellar is overflowing and since AE was relatively inexpensive and aromatics are the one class of tobacco that I have little of, I figured, what the heck. To my surprise, it was very tasty, not overly moist, needing only a little drying, and left little crud in my cob. It'll be what I smoke around my non-smoking friends.

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I've got some Luxury Twist Flake on the way. Not exactly an aro, but looking forward to trying this one.

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I've got some Luxury Twist Flake on the way. Not exactly an aro, but looking forward to trying this one.

Rub that one out a bit, let it dry for about 20 minutes, and the coconut will shine through.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Rub that one out a bit, let it dry for about 20 minutes, and the coconut will shine through.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cavendish gets used as a base for various flavorings and gets a bad rap. It can be an excellent condiment or even base if used correctly. I like C&D Tuggle Hall, for one example. But even if you don't like that one, I think there are other good ones out there. 'Embers, I think it may be true that aromatics are for the experienced smoker, but I feel sure most begin with aromatics, and most stay with them. As Russ O. reminds us, over 90% of pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, which is why there are so, so many.

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When smoking a cased or aromatic blend, my ability to appreciate the underlying tobacco was always diminished, as my palate was focused on the flavoring. Thus I find curious the declarations about the quality of the underlying tobacco as being poor, as in American tobaccos, or excellent as in the English. Maybe I would also have found this true had I smoked the Americans.

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

As Russ O. reminds us, over 90% of pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, which is why there are so, so many. Russ O. reminds us, over 90% of pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, which is why there are so, so many.

My thinking on that is that the experienced smokers figured it out.

Posted 9 months ago #
  21. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCA, even in spite of the pg. Takes some drying, like leaving the Ziploc open in the car for a month or so, but....

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  22. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

So since starting this thread, I have tried numerous blends suggested here. For future reference I'll post my experience. For the record, I'm not as experienced as other smokers on this site, but maybe my findings can help other newer smokers.

Rattray Orange (Exotic Orange, Exotic Passion whatever it's called): Absolute best I've tried so far. Flavorful tobacco, can taste and smell the orange, but not overbearing or goopy. This blend right here is an aromatic I like.

Peretti's Thanksgiving Day: Very flavorful. Quality tobacco. Mild topping. This is another blend that I like. Thanks to @Ashdigger for sending me some of this

Two Friends English Chocolate: I got an ounce of this in a trade. I'm still working through it. This is a nice blend. The tobacco is quality and flavorful and the cocoa/chocolate is pleasant. This could be one I get again.

Leavitt & Peirce - Cake Box: Another nice blend. Very mild, not goopy. I received a half ounce sample of this in a box pass. Not sure I would order again, but it wasn't bad.

Luxury Twist Flake: Nice blend. I like LBF and LNF better though.

Molto Doce: Kind of bland to me. It seemed a better quality or Aro than many others I have tried, but didn't really strike me as a tasty blend. It smelled wonderful though.

MB Vanilla Flake, Autumn Evening: I had a similar experience with both of these blends. They both tasted nice and smelled amazing, but on retrohale I got an unpleasant celery-like note. Not really my thing.

GLP Vanilla Creme: Maybe it was the age of the virginias, but this one was harsh to me.

Kendal Dark Vanilla: Again, maybe I'm not a SG Virginia guy. This one was kind of harsh.

I have some Bagpiper's Dream and Blend for Carey Grant I have yet to pop open. I also have some Country Squire Figgy Pudding on the way. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some Bagpiper's Dream and Blend for Carey Grant I have yet to pop open.
    Two very different blends from one another, but both are favorites of mine.

I also have some Country Squire Figgy Pudding on the way.
    I've tried Old Toby and Rivendell from Country Squire. Both are fantastic. Old Toby is a bit goopy, but it still smokes very well. I plan on trying Figgy Pudding as well. I'd like to read your thoughts on that one.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

rynomart513

Login to Send PM

My wife doesn’t like the smell of English blends so I started looking for tolerable aromatics to smoke when she is around. Plum cake is pretty cool because it has some lat. in it. I really like autumn evening. I also ordered a few tins from boswells. So far I’ve only tried their Christmas cookie and it’s damn good. I think I’ve finally gotten to a place where I can smoke an arro correctly without burning my mouth.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

A friend gifted me some Boswell’s Bear Blend and it was quite good. They have a reputation for doing a good job with aromatics. You might try one of their sampler packs to see if there’s something you like.

I very rarely smoke an aromatic. When I do, it’s often when I will be around family and friends during some holiday. The pleasant room note gets compliments rather than complaints.

My favorite aromatic is SWRA. No PG flavor that I detect & the flavorings are applied lightly & compliment the tobacco, rather than overwhelm it.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, achtman, cornedbeef, newbroom