Aro blend that actually tastes great

(95 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by blackadderlxx
  • Latest reply from 5star
  1. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend me an aromatic. NOT LANE TYVM!

I've been smoking pipes for about a year. When I first started I tried 1Q, RLP6, BCA, Captain Black, etc. Then i tried English blends and was off to the races. I haven't smoked aromatic blends since. Over the last year, I've tried probably 20-30 Lat blends, C&D, GLP, SPC, Rattray, SG, etc. I love English/Balkan blends, Some Burley blends, VaPers, all the usual suspects. But here in the past couple of months I've been wondering if there were any great tasting aromatic blends. The ones I've tried all smell good-ish (some smell like chemicals to me) but they all kind of taste the same to me. I lack the descriptive palate others have, but I guess it's the cavendish I'm thinking of. I really try to be open to everything when it comes to pipe tobacco, so I'm willing to give things a try as I have found a few blends that I have ended up loving that way. So I don't want to just close the door on all aros as if to say "they all suck".

Anyways, does anyone here get where I'm coming from? Can anyone recommend an aro blend that actually tastes like something? Maybe even taste like what it smells like? Maybe even be a good tobacco?

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The term aromatic refers to smells, aromas, things concerning the nose. I don’t think that as a genre you’re suposed to “taste” the added flavors. But, you sense the aromas with your nose on some better than others. Isn’t it smell that gives some foods their flavor nuances? Like those taste tests where you pinch your nose and find it harder to tell whether you are eating an orange or peach?

Molto Dolce is one famed for being a strong enough aroma to sense as a taste. Smoke it wet for a greater aroma. Rattrays Orange is a good one. What flavors are you looking for? Maybe one that tastes like tobacco but smells like vanilla? MacBarons Vanilla Flake is a great one.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  3. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
    Hearth & Home Butternut Burley
    Hearth & Home Trout Stream
    Mac Baren Original Choice

I'm not very good at describing the flavours when it comes to tobacco, but I've found that I can discern most of the flavours once I'm "reminded". My go to reminder is virtually any review by JimInks. He seems to have a way of picking out flavours and describing them well.

I'm sure you will get many other suggestions, these are my favorites.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. groovediggerdan

groovediggerdan

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same boat. Turns out my lat-based favorites just aren't as good (to me) in the warm months so I've been looking around for something different...sweeter, but not cloyingly, gloppy, etc. So far I've had a bit of luck with The Virginia Cream from GL Pease.

It's strange that all of my tastes (food, drink, tobacco) seem to change by season, but at least I'm realizing it and can try to get ahead of it.

Need it to get colder so I can get some chili going!

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    Posted 8 months ago #
  5. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

What flavors are you looking for? Maybe one that tastes like tobacco but smells like vanilla? MacBarons Vanilla Flake is a great one.

I'm not looking for a particular flavor. I'm just wondering if there are any good tasting aromatic blends. So far my experience with them has been "meh" but I don't want to just say I hate aros if there's actually good ones out there. The "top selling" ones: ie Lane, etc. just aren't good to me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My primary virtue in aromatics is that they be tobacco-forward, and that the flavoring bring up and complement the base leaf and condimental leaf. I don't want to smoke Vanilla as the first experienced flavor, for example. No two people will share exactly the same taste, and aromatics will illustrate this principle. But a few I find good to keep on hand are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue; Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, with Virginia and three liqueurs as flavoring; and Edward G. Robinson, one of jiminks' staples. I do like Royal Yacht, but since that is going out of production, supposedly, we'll pass on that. Erin Go Braugh is a well balanced whiskey blend pouch tobacco carried by PC.

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same boat. Turns out my lat-based favorites just aren't as good (to me) in the warm months so I've been looking around for something different...sweeter, but not cloyingly, gloppy, etc. So far I've had a bit of luck with The Virginia Cream from GL Pease.

It's strange that all of my tastes (food, drink, tobacco) seem to change by season, but at least I'm realizing it and can try to get ahead of it.

Need it to get colder so I can get some chili going!

I hear you. I started VaPers this summer for this same reason. Fortunately in the mountains of NC the mornings are pretty nice so I've been able to have some Lat blends in the early hours. I usually have Virginia or Burley blends later in the day.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

What got me started on this whole line of thinking is hearing that Strauss Sleepy Hollow is out right now and everyone going nuts about how much they love it. It got me thinking that I have not really tried to find a good aromatic blend.

@mso - thanks for the suggestions. Question: Does the SWR have that chemical smell common to OTC blends?

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

blacka', take note, I'm not suggestion SWR Regular, but their SWR Aromatic. I love burley, but I can't get much flavor from Regular. With the Aromatic blend, I don't experience Propyl Glycol or whatever it is, but I think some are extremely sensitive and taste it in many OTC blends. I'm not tasting it in SWR Aromatic, nor any of my other picks. But you might.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vauen Auenland The Shire, Vauen Auenland Midnight Mixture, Vauen Himalaya Blend, Sillem's Schwarz, Holger Danske Black Bourbon.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 8 months ago #
  11. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. Great vanilla flavor and aroma, great underlying tobacco.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I agree with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. Great vanilla flavor and aroma, great underlying tobacco.

HAPPY FUN BALL!!!! I miss the old days when SNL didn't suck.

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edward G Robinson is a nice cross between tobacco flavor and aromatics. Plus, it is a blend championed by our own jiminks.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

They all taste exactly how they smell to me. Haven't came across one yet that didn't.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

When I first started I tried 1Q, RLP6, BCA, Captain Black, etc.

Ah, there's the issue. Aros should be far into the journey and not the beginning.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Here's a list of the aros I smoke.

Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake
    Cult Blood Red Moon
    GLP Haddo's Delight
    Kramer's Blend for Carey Grant
    Wilke Rumcake
    Shortcut To Mushrooms (RIP)

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

University Flake
    War Horse
    Royal Yacht

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 8 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake

Aro?

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Slightly aro, I taste the whiskey, especially in the fresh tins. I thought someone would call me on Haddo's before Bothy.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It's the same with Black Frigate, but far from aro. Were that the case most Navy Flakes would be considered aros. Just asked because I get more of the earthy aspect of the Scotch in Bothy.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

That's a valid point well taken.
    So if topped with alcohol it's not an aro but if topped with another variety of flavoring then it is? Darn definitions...

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Sutliff's Molto Dolce and Rattray's Exotic Passion are my go to aromatics. Once I tried them I was hooked.

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Darn definitions...

No kidding. They make my head hurt.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. alexnc

alexnc

Login to Send PM

I've spent quite a bit of effort on that journey and pretty much gave up on it

I've had great experiences with more lightly flavored VA &/or Burley blends that are not officially called aromatic. Stuff like Haddo's Delight, Warhorse Ready Rubbed, HU Nashville County, Fribourg & Treyer cut VA plug, C&D Redburn, Stokkebeye luxury twist, etc

I kind of keep my Lakelands on a different page but they're probably even closer to aros - 1792 flake, Coniston cut plug, brown flake vanilla, G&H Kendall dark vanilla, an occasional Grasmere Flake

On a Navy kick lately - so that's a more lightly flavored direction - stuff like MacBaren's Navy Flake, C&D Speakeasy, Stokkebeye Luxury Navy Flake

I found that I never go back to the official aros, they just sit in their jars - have a year old jar of Rattray Exotic Orange that will probably see it's 10th Bday

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 8 months ago #
  25. alexnc

alexnc

Login to Send PM

OK - never say die, going to try the Mac Baren vanilla flake. I have so many jars it's ridiculous. - if Cosmic says its OK then it probably is!

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I've spent quite a bit of effort on that journey and pretty much gave up on it

I've had great experiences with more lightly flavored VA &/or Burley blends that are not officially called aromatic

This may be where I end up. It seems like many Aros are just Cavendish and Burley. That's probably what my problem is with them.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

May be packing them too tight. Light is the way to go with an aro.

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gl Pease Vanilla Cream, or Rattrays Exotic Passion. Though I also like some 1792 and Ennerdale every once in a while.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like the taste of Peretti's Boston's Best Cavendish a lot. https://www.ljperetti.com/l-j-peretti-tobacco-cat/cavendish.html

I love the taste of Royal Yacht, Hyde Park and Two Friends English Chocolate.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 7 months ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though they're inexpensive and therefore not always regarded with respect, I think Sutliff makes some worthy tobacco-forward aro blends like The Great Outdoors and their seasonal blends, Taste of Summer, Autumn, etc.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[Can anyone recommend an aro blend that actually tastes like something? Maybe even taste like what it smells like? Maybe even be a good tobacco?]

I would say there are 2 styles of aros, the American and the English (Lakelands) ones. In the american style the blender try to simply put on tobacco some kind of "food flavor" such as cherry, orange, vanilla or whatever else. They do this using generally cheap low quality Burley (if you notice these blends are cheaper than Va, VaPer or English blends) which is used just to be soaked with the flavoring substance. They smell good but they all taste like hot air because the underlying tobacco is generally crappy low quality and the concentration of the flavoring is enough to be smelled but not enough to be tasted.
    On the other side the English Lakelands aros use a very high quality tobacco, including Virginia Burley and Dark fired, where the flavoring is intended to complement the tobacco but not to bring up a specific food flavour. Sometimes they are described soapy because the smell could remind in some cases perfumes. They are a love or hate them and you will find very different reactions to them in the forum, but if you are looking for an aro with a good tobacco you should at least try them. The typical Lakelands are made by the SG/GH, I would recommend starting with GH Bob's Chocolate which is actually a crossover to aromatics and if you like it trying GH Ennerdale or SG Groosemoore. If you want a blend strong in nic dept SG 1792 could be your ticket. Another one to try is Erinmore now made by STG which even if in the new formulation is not as strong both in tobacco and in flavoring as the original Murray formulation it is still a nice aro.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Blackadder, I have found the same thing. The Aro's just seem a poor cousin to the english, virginis and VaPers. Even a burley flake seems better. Aro's just seem flat. I think it's just my palate because I also like strong drink flavours like single malt whiskeys, tequila etc.

The strongest aro I have is Cult Blood Red Moon. Smells great in the tin and makes plenty of smoke. I can taste the flavour but it still seems light weight. Perhaps it is the vitamin N content as well.

I won't give up on them though because sometimes it is nice just to smoke something different. Also I read recently in another thread or it may have been on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show (currently up to episode 44), that some pipe smokers will take aro's with them if they are smoking in public or are around non-smokers because the smell is more appealing to them. I can see some merit in that.

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

The Aro's just seem a poor cousin to the english, virginis and VaPers.

And yet they outsell them by miles. Aros are best appreciated after smoking a pipe for a number of years. They now taste to me exactly as they smell in the bag or tin. I mostly dropped English blends years ago as most blends containing Latakia were tasting exactly the same and flat. Great for beginning palates training to taste smoke but it lost something along the way. Now thirty years later I'm more Virginia/Oriental and aromatic focused.

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. alexnc

alexnc

Login to Send PM

I think I agree with 64alex - the Lakelands seem really high quality

you should probably try some of the HU blends like Hadde's Best Irish as an alternative too - though difficult to source in the states

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With tongue firmly in cheek, being somewhat sarcastic, a brief review...

The Aro's just seem a poor cousin to the english, virginis and VaPers.

They all taste exactly how they smell to me.

They smell good but they all taste like hot air

They do this using generally cheap low quality Burley

And yet they outsell them by miles

Aro's just seem flat.

I mostly dropped English blends years ago

most blends containing Latakia were tasting exactly the same and flat

Is it actually possible that personal taste and preference have something to do with this?

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of great aros out there [/quote]in my opinion[i][quote].

That's the key. IN MY OPINION.

Your opinion may be different because you have a different nose and tastebuds than I do. As my son, the executive chef, says people don't realize how much the aroma plays into how good food taste.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  37. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wee, made it through that “3rd hand smoke” topic without battle scars...anyway, on to the important topics. Pipes and Tobaccos.

Rattray’s Bagpiper’s Dream
    C&D Golden Days of Yore
    Sutlif’s Ready Rub Match
    C&D StringDuster

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 7 months ago #
  38. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Autumn Evening

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 7 months ago #
  39. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

On the other side the English Lakelands aros use a very high quality tobacco, including Virginia Burley and Dark fired, where the flavoring is intended to complement the tobacco but not to bring up a specific food flavour. Sometimes they are described soapy because the smell could remind in some cases perfumes. They are a love or hate them and you will find very different reactions to them in the forum, but if you are looking for an aro with a good tobacco you should at least try them. The typical Lakelands are made by the SG/GH, I would recommend starting with GH Bob's Chocolate which is actually a crossover to aromatics and if you like it trying GH Ennerdale or SG Groosemoore. If you want a blend strong in nic dept SG 1792 could be your ticket. Another one to try is Erinmore now made by STG which even if in the new formulation is not as strong both in tobacco and in flavoring as the original Murray formulation it is still a nice aro.

Thanks. I guess eventually I'll try Lakeland - Bob's Chocolate is a blend I hear about all the time. I guess I'll try that next time GH comes around.

Posted 7 months ago #
  40. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Blackadder, I have found the same thing. The Aro's just seem a poor cousin to the english, virginis and VaPers. Even a burley flake seems better. Aro's just seem flat. I think it's just my palate because I also like strong drink flavours like single malt whiskeys, tequila etc.
    -SNIP-
    I won't give up on them though because sometimes it is nice just to smoke something different. Also I read recently in another thread or it may have been on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show (currently up to episode 44), that some pipe smokers will take aro's with them if they are smoking in public or are around non-smokers because the smell is more appealing to them. I can see some merit in that.

I'm realizing that it's probably the cavendish only aros that I'm not liking. I mean, they're not "bad" but I find that there's little to commend them. I don't really smoke out in public, but I do enjoy trying new blends since there's a whole wide world of blends out there to try. I think I just need to try the blends that begin with decent tobacco. One of the suggestions was GLP Haddos and I realized I have a tin of it I haven't popped yet. Guess I'll be doing that once the rain stops.

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm realizing that it's probably the cavendish only aros that I'm not liking.

That also may be over-generalizing it, as Autumn Evening and PS LTF are both pure cavendishes, and they are renown for being amazing smokes. Some just suck. There is no rhyme nor reason, they just suck. But, for everyone that sucks, someone is going to love it, and vica-versa.

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

That also may be over-generalizing it, as Autumn Evening and PS LTF are both pure cavendishes, and they are renown for being amazing smokes. Some just suck. There is no rhyme nor reason, they just suck. But, for everyone that sucks, someone is going to love it, and vica-versa.

True - I'll have to give those a try and see.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sutliff 245 ZBC (still available) or McClelland Erik Nording's Hunter Retriever (no longer made, but fairly readily available on flebay & elsewhere if you don't mind paying $20/tin.)

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  44. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Since I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, I thought I'd chime in.

Ignoring what an aromatic may or may not actually be, I'll go with what comes to my mind which is pretty much any blend that has noticeable sweetening or flavoring added in some. If you're just looking for something that tastes good, as the title of the thread implies, then there is no need to get bogged down in whether or not a particular blend is truly an aromatic or not. At least in my mind that is.

So here is what i have found most enjoyable and some random thoughts:

Anything with rum. Some of these blends have turned out not to be all that but I have noticed the wetter the better.

Molto Dulce. Nice and sweet. When I first tried it I figure what I was tasting. Online descriptions include vanilla, caramel and honey. I got marshmallow. Close enough.

4 Noggins Three Blind Moose. The online descriptions of butterscotch are indeed accurate. This is a very mild smoke.

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. I could smoke this stuff all day.

C&D Dark Chocolate. Tastes exactly as it smells which is like a dark cocoa powder. Mild enough to smoke all day but I would get overwhelmed with it if I tried. I need to try Bob's chocolate and see which I prefer.

50/50 mix of the MB Vanilla Cream & CD Dark Chocolate listed above. This produced a nice and rich smoke. The vanilla was constantly present but the chocolate occasionally and very nicely wafted in both the aroma and taste. I'm going to premix this in a 4oz mason jar and give it some time to see what happens.

I don't think these are considered aromatics but you're missing our if you don't give them a try:

Black Frigate and Dreams of Kaddath. I don't know about others but I get lots of plum/fig type flavors and sweetness in these. The nicotine is much more noticeable in these two though. They also have smokey flavors that the above aromatics do not.

Haunted Bookshop. I'll take either of the two above over HB but I though it deserved an honorable mention.

Some final thoughts:

The smokiness and nicotine in the last 2 (3 actually) are a better line of division for me than what a correct or technical definition of aromatic is. These blends can taste sweeter than many aromatics but if I'm not ready for the smokiness and especially the nicotine it can really through me for a loop.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, Shane, at least you're honest! }:)

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Notice that Molto Dolce comes in for mention several times. It really does taste like it smells, and as an English smoker, I use it as my switch-off blend. Sutliff Creme Brûlée is pretty much the same as a bulk tobacco. Also, in the strange department, Lene HGL is an aromatic English, sort of. Tastes like an English, with a very pleasant room note.

Eric
    Posted 7 months ago #
  47. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Notice that Molto Dolce comes in for mention several times. It really does taste like it smells, and as an English smoker, I use it as my switch-off blend.

Yes I do!
    Looking forward to my monthly tobacco budget resetting on 10/1 so I can try some of these!

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

misha66

Login to Send PM

I quickly realized years ago that I don't like aros. When I want something that I consider sweet I just smoke a burley. My taste buds don't seem to like anything that doesn't taste like some sort of tobacco type.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke aromatics often, but when I do, I smoke Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. Cognac topping. Go figure.

Posted 7 months ago #
  50. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke aromatics often, but when I do, I smoke Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. Cognac topping. Go figure.

This one keeps popping up in conversation too.

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rattray's Bagpipers Dream is very unusual. I have smelled Cognac, and it doesn't smell anything like the tobacco. Cognac mixed with tobacco must take on a whole new aroma, because Bagpiper's Dream smells to me like a fine men's cologne. I really enjoy it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm going to have to crack a tin of that one. Haven't smoked any of it this year.

Posted 7 months ago #
  53. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me when I want an aromatic I always go back to Lane's 1Q.

It sounds to me though that what you're looking for is more in line with the Danish style aromatics. They tend to do more tobacco forward and lighter on the top dressing/casing than American blenders do.

C&D is definitely one to look into. Their Autumn Evening has a noticeable maple top dressing, but the tobacco is clearly evident in the flavor profile and is very high quality leaf. I've heard their Nutty Irishman and Apricots N Cream are like that. I would also second or third Virginia Cream by GL Pease (produced by C&D).

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  54. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Autumn Evening has a noticeable maple top dressing, but the tobacco is clearly evident in the flavor profile and is very high quality leaf

100% Amen to that, Lord. I picked up some of it at my local B&M Saturday & am getting interested in it!

Posted 7 months ago #
  55. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

It sounds to me though that what you're looking for is more in line with the Danish style aromatics. They tend to do more tobacco forward and lighter on the top dressing/casing than American blenders do.

I guess that's it. I like tobacco. The "popular" aros (Lane, CB) are very bland tasting to me.

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting, lordofthepiperings. This could almost be a thread unto itself. But, taking into consideration that Lane LTD was a German tobacco company that moved to the US in 1938, billing itself as Germanic flavors. It was in the Germanic countries that prided itself on flavoring tobaccos in the manner of German pastries where we get this notion of "aromatics." There is references to 17th century tobacconists in Germanic countries gooping up their tobaccos to make them heavier (to turn a higher profit) and to appeal more to Germanic smokers that already enjoyed these flavors in their internationally aclaimed pastries. Sutliff aside... I think of American tobacco companies as McClelland and C&D, which used aromatics sparingly in "most" of their aromatic lines of tobaccos. And, recently Sutliff and Peter Stokkebye merged... Have you ever tried the PS lines of aromatics? Nouget, peaches and Cream, etc... They are as good as 1Q, but still not very tobacco-ey. MacBarens aromatics, Seven Seas, Ambrosia, Danish Mixtures... Halberg, Green, Red, etc... H.W. Sutliff, Altadis, Lane, etc... were Germanic in their origins and styles. It's just funny that America gets the label for goopy aromatics, when it was all from Germanic origins, and the Germanic countries that still produce aromatics are top of their class in (what I think of as) goopy.

Just posting for something to think about.

Posted 7 months ago #
  57. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Up until their HH line, MacBarens ddn't have any straight tobaccos without a heavy casing, giving them the nickname MacBitey. Thinking mostly about Virginia #1 with it's heavy honey flavored casing.

Posted 7 months ago #
  58. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only smoke the occasional aromatic blend, favoring English, and straight Virginias. The aros I’ve enjoyed enough to buy more than once are

MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake
    Dan Tobacco’s Blue Note
    Cult Blood Red Moon
    1-Q
    Trout Stream

These all keep their flavor through the bowl and aren’t too goopy or bitey, IME.

Posted 7 months ago #
  59. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the Aromatic history lesson, Cosmic. Thanks.

Posted 7 months ago #
  60. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke aromatics often but if i have to recomend one blend it's wo larsen signature.

Posted 7 months ago #
  61. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Intriguing, Cos', tnx! [Carson voice] "I did not know that."

Personally, even as much as I like aros, goopy crap just DOES not work for me. I just don't like [blech] sludge in my blends. I knew Sutliff married PS, but I still just can't hack monikers that connote candy or milkshakes. (Nougat, P&C, etc.) They just sound, I dunno, like I'm stuffing my bowl with 1/3 of a Milky Way or something. Now MB Vanilla Flake, yeah, but that's different; its a flake.

Bill

Posted 7 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Aromatic English is pretty good, latakia with alcohol topping always works and this one you can buy in bulk to try

Posted 7 months ago #
  63. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Digging through the upstairs blends looking for something for HS football i ran across some Boswells Bear Blend a tasty and stout tobacco forward blend.

Posted 7 months ago #
  64. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I just popped my tin of Haddos Delight. Maybe a few weeks in a jar will make a difference, but it's not doing much for me right now. Thankfully there are samples of Molto Doce and also Edward G on the way to try.

Posted 7 months ago #
  65. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haddos is a blend that ignites my inner pyromaniac, and I can’t control myself. I burn through tins of Haddos like one of the Four Horsemen of the Taboccolypse. I can suck down a tin of it in a single day... but in no way do I rhink of Haddos as being even similar to an aromatic. It kind of smells like one in the tin, and technically it does have some alcahol topping on it, but as for tasting or eminating an aromatic flavor of any sort... it smokes like an excellent VaPer (Virginia Perique). So, it’s likely to dissapoint someone wanting a classic aromatic experience.
    And, if it disappoints, then avoid GLPs Virginia Cream, because it smokes like a unique VaPer with some really flavorful condimentals added for zest. YMMV

Posted 7 months ago #
  66. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Haddos was a bit of a miss for me too. Open a tin of D&R London Dock and it won't last but a couple of days though.

Posted 7 months ago #
  67. capnomancy

capnomancy

Login to Send PM

I recall some of Boswells aromatics tasting very close to how they smell, more than other aro's that I have tried.

Posted 7 months ago #
  68. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

OK, here goes. Years ago I smoked BCA, and tried a lot of aros that I disliked. Tried the 50-50 blend of BCA and 1Q, it was ok. For quite a while now I have been smoking mainly flakes, PS LTF is pretty aromatic. But then I got a sample of Lane Dark Red, and loved it. My wife loves it. I buddy who doesn't like aros tried it, and loves it. It is in a class by itself for aros.

Posted 7 months ago #
  69. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Haddos is a blend that ignites my inner pyromaniac, and I can’t control myself. I burn through tins of Haddos like one of the Four Horsemen of the Taboccolypse. I can suck down a tin of it in a single day... but in no way do I rhink of Haddos as being even similar to an aromatic. It kind of smells like one in the tin, and technically it does have some alcahol topping on it, but as for tasting or eminating an aromatic flavor of any sort... it smokes like an excellent VaPer (Virginia Perique). So, it’s likely to dissapoint someone wanting a classic aromatic experience.
    And, if it disappoints, then avoid GLPs Virginia Cream, because it smokes like a unique VaPer with some really flavorful condimentals added for zest. YMMV

It didn't really strike me as an aromatic either. But for me the tobaccos were good, but I'm not sure it's something I would stock up on. That said, half of the GLP blends I've tried fresh out of the tin didn't do it for me but after a few weeks in a jar were totally different. So I'm not done with it yet, but I had two bowls today, and I'm not sure about it. I plan on getting the Vanilla Cream next time I order.

Posted 7 months ago #
  70. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

So I recently received a box pass with some samples in it and have had the chance to try Molto Doce, Autumn Evening and also Leavitt & Peirce - Cake Box which apparently is a staple at Harvard.

Molto Doce was kind of bland to me. It seemed a better quality or Aro than many others I have tried, but didn't really strike me as a tasty blend. It smelled wonderful though.

Autumn Evening was interesting. I've only had one bowl so far, and I'm not sure where I am with it, but the maple syrup thing was interesting. I like that it actually tasted like tobacco though. On retrohale, the flavoring kind of reminded me of celery. I'll need to try it some more.

Cake Box was surprising. I really liked the bowl I had of it. It actually tasted like tobacco, which is what I'm going for.

Posted 7 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, davidy97, npod, redglow, jiminks