PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I love them myself and the story behind them. I have a great Stanwell 63M, killer little flake

pipe smoker

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
For those that don't know what an Army mount is....
shape1.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like the look, and the story, but have to confess to never having one. Prolly get a Pete when I do.

Jul 15, 2011
The story, as I understand it, is this. A pipe with an army/military bit is a pipe in which the stem does not fit into the briar itself, but inside a metal ring that is inserted into the shank. The thought behind this is that you can pull the pipe apart while it is still hot without worrying about damaging the wood inside the shank, since the metal that the stem fits into does not expand and grip the stem tightly like briar does when it is heated. It is named a military/army bit because these pipes were used by soldiers in the field during battle. If they would be in the middle of a smoke when the call to duty came, they could pop the pipe apart and throw it in their pocket/bag/whatever and not worry about damaging the wood by pulling the stem out.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have, or have had a couple of pipes with this types of stem. I tend to like them. They're easy to maintain, and pass the pipe cleaner test rather well. The draw seems to be more open than some standard stems, so sometimes that can be a drawback when trying to keep some tobacco blends lit.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I just have one.I like it a lot.If I buy more pipes it will be them.I don't really seem to see many styles that have them though.

Jul 12, 2011
Drgaon like...but Dragon want a Mark B. flame Billiard or twisted-Poker...unless a BIG order of tampers comes in it will have to be one or the other... :crying:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
If you can *LOVE* a pipe then it's probably the only action you're going to get, sadly(cf. the chamber size thread).
Hey, where did the goats go?

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i am big fan of them myself... even though there is only one i have at the time.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't believe that the Stanwell shown above is a military mount. I don't know that I've ever seen a Danish pipe with a military mount. They're more traditionally a British/Irish feature.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I read a thread on another forum that claimed the Pete System pipe was an army mount. If so, I have one. But I always liked the shell casing style.

Jul 12, 2011
@bigvan - http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=59060
It's called a 63M (M standing for military) :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Military/army mounts are also sometimes referred to as "friction mounts"; meaning that the stems don't fit snugly into the mortice but require a little twist. So yes, the Peterson System pipes use a military mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.