PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I recently purchased a Peterson standard system 31 pipe, and not only does it smoke very well I really like both the aesthetics but also the ease of cleaning an army mount pipe. Does anyone have a suggestion to any other decent (read as mid range) army mount pipes. Lightweight pipes are preferred.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Check Ebay for estate pipes, many are army mount, you can get $100 pipes like that Pete for $40 and clean them up to look like new, plus the older ones are a little higher in quality, especially Petes (let their quality standards slide lately).

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the tip, but I'm only really interested in buying unused pipes at the moment.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for the tip, but I'm only really interested in buying unused pipes at the moment
You are missing out on more than you know mate. The new pipes, made in todays' world, have very little comparison to those made 40+ years ago. Not in all cases, but in many.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 to Nsfisher, my first estate Pete (1930's) I got for $45 outsmoked anything I ever had, and the quality was better than my Pete System I got, I sold it because I found out I hated straight pipes with a passion. I now honestly believe the best pipes are the oldies you clean up yourself.

Aug 1, 2012
the best pipes are the oldies you clean up yourself.
+1
I understand the want for a new pipe as well as the possible ick factor with estates (easily fixed with a good retorting) but if you can get past it all your pipe world grows exponentially.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Any pipe with a metal cap over the shank (or inside, in some cases) and a push on stem. It's designed to allow you to pull of the stem in a hurry even while hot without cracking the shank (although I would not recomend it). Army people used to repair broken shanks by using a metal jacket from a bullet and that's how they started. I think they just look really cool.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Army mount pipes are ones that you can break down while still warm. i.e. so an army guy could stash it in a hurry. They are kinda like a compression type fit. The harder you push the stem into the shank the tighter the fit.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
All though I am brand new to pipes and am looking to purchase my first briar (started with the basics- 2 MM Cobs), I think that I may have to make it a point of collecting Army Mounts given the army connection and name

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
My Peterson Standard 307 has been a joy to smoke. In fact, I sit on the deck steps about an hour ago enjoying a bowl of LA Red...sheer euphoria. It was so good I started having visions of grandeur.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Spigot has a metal wrapped stem in addition to the capped shank and friction mount.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Too bad you don't like estates chopsie. I got this off of eBay last month for a song. It was actually $120 but that aint much for a barely smoked mint condition Ferndown Spigot.
D9CAFC49-49AB-4F58-BBC7-B0FDC880F86B-1255-0000008ADDF4D6C6.jpg

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
My next pipe will be an army mount for sure.

Most likely a Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen, two stems are better than one, I guess.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Actually MB, I don't think the Stanwell HCA is an Army mount.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
The Hans Christian Andersen series, dedicated to the famous teller of tales, offers a fine pipe with two distinct smoking options. The sandblasted Dublin bowl is quite Calabash-esque with it's smoothly rounded rim and sports an army mount capping the shank, ready for either the extra-long Churchwarden or shorter, handier standard-length bent stem

- From description on smoking pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.