PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
The Queen of Soul has passed. May her memory be eternal.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/6FOUqQt3Kg0

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Saw her live in the mid-70s,tremendous performance and talent! God Rest...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP Aretha.
We have really been witnessing the passing of an era in the music world for the last couple of years.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great voice, and also great in her only screen role:
aretha-franklin-blues-brothers.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
She also appears in the excellent documentary Muscle Shoals.
If you enjoy music, and especially if you enjoy seeing behind the scenes, you owe it to yourself to check out the movie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a musician. Her exquisite embodiment of emotion in rendering a song was on a par with Pavarotti, Sinatra, Armstrong, or anyone. But put that aside for just a second and consider her shear musical acumen, the ability to leap octaves -- up or down -- and land on exactly the note flawlessly, and then immediately incorporate eight or twenty notes around that one. Staggering. To compare her to Leontyne Price, she also had the ability to perform music beyond expectations for the human voice. If angels sing, that's how it sounds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is now a youTube video of a military band in their red uniforms and tall bearskin hats playing Aretha Franklin's signature song "Respect," in front of Buckingham Palace, as they say, one Queen's tribute to another. It sounds like the original song and a marching tune at the same time. It's a lot of fun to watch.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
She subbed for an ailing Pavarotti and sang Nessam Dorma, saved the show, and showed she wasn’t a one trick pony. Hope I spelled the song right. Great, Great talent, and no BS in her life, was a true Artist.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
She passed on the same date as Elvis. How 'bout that...the king & queen went on the same day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was fascinated by the interview by the late Gwen Ifil with Aretha Franklin maybe a year before Gwen died. I thought since they were two prominent African American women, there would be a strong sense of sympatico. Instead, it was an interesting balancing act, not a standoff, respectful so to speak, but you really appreciated how strong Aretha was, and how she never gave any ground to management, musicians she worked with, or journalists. And Gwen reciprocated by being perfectly poised and resilient. It was a hard-edged conversation indeed. Quite remarkable. I thought, wow, if I ever had to talk with either of them, I'd really do my homework. Obviously, they had.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One detail in the Aretha Franklin memorial was the hearse she had selected, which she had funded for others use before her own service. It was a 1930-something LaSalle, which I had forgotten was a spin-off brand of Cadillac. It was white with fittings on the side of the vehicle that resembled church windows. This was in addition to a whole fleet of pink Cadillacs that followed the hearse to the burial. Aretha had also arranged for specific changes of outfits as she lay in state over several days. As always with Aretha, it was showmanship to perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.