Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just making sure Lakeland's own Walt Cannoy is still with us. 8O
(screenshot)

Screen_Shot_2016_06_07_at_7_34_27_PM.png

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-polk/gator-found-with-body-in-its-mouth-in-lakeland

Mar 1, 2014
One too many Cob Superiority threads and this is the result.

Let us remember these events whenever we partake in discussion of those most frugal of Tobacco Pipes.
I will console my grief with another round of Cobs from Missouri Meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Not a lot of gator fatalities, but they happen. One was spotted from a glass bottom boat (years ago). A "pet" eased up on the arm of my uncle at their pond when he offered it a loaf of bread. There was a tense stand-off but my uncle finally retrieved his arm still attached to his body and not mangled. I think this was a three or four footer, not a large one. Gators harvest many pets and live in otherwise domesticated recreational areas like golf courses and marinas. Because they are often static when seen, people miss what speed they can attain and how rapidly they can kill their prey by breaking bones and drowning. Not to be trifled with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In World War II, American troops knew they were being ambushed by Japanese troops landing into a swamp, I think this was in Indonesia. The Americans grimly prepared for a pitched battle with the amphibious troops and nothing happened. So they edged down toward what they assumed was a dug-in force, and there wasn't anyone there, except there were leavings of equipment and some remains, and it eventually became clear that the crocodiles had consumed the opposition force. I guess the landing was at supper time, and by the time the Yanks had arrived, the croc's were full.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you're referring to the Battle of Ramree Island here's what the one witness account has to say
That night [of the 19 February 1945] was the most horrible that any member of the M. L. [motor launch] crews ever experienced. The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles, and the blurred worrying sound of spinning crocodiles made a cacophony of hell that has rarely been duplicated on earth. At dawn the vultures arrived to clean up what the crocodiles had left.... Of about one thousand Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about twenty were found alive.
Here's what the scientist say
Most of all, there is a single zoological problem. If 'thousands of crocodiles' were involved in the massacre, as in the urban (jungle) myth, how had these ravening monsters survived before and how were they to survive later? The ecosystem of a mangrove swamp, with an exiguous mammal life, simply would not have permitted the existence of so many saurians before the coming of the Japanese (animals are not exempt from the laws of overpopulation and starvation).
Interesting story, nonetheless.
MSO you really have a thing with gator's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.