Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

Are You Kidding Me?

(204 posts)
  1. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doctor is assaulted and forcibly dragged off airline for not giving up seat:

United

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you think being their customer is bad, you oughta try working for the sons of bitches.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

United is awful. As both a former customer and former unemployment adjudicator, I can tell you their policies are horrendous. I have refused to fly united for years now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to spare United, but my comment was referring to airlines in general.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, did I read that right, that these customers were being removed to allow United employees onto the flight? I hope the doctor sues the pants off of both United and the airport.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unbelievable.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

This is in all the papers on my side of the Atlantic too. One paper reports that he was allowed to reboard, but had blood on his face. United have well and truly shot themselves in the foot with this one.

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the real story? All I saw is a fellow dragged off the plane. Could have been an arrest warrant. He could have been threatening. Could have been anything that might have justified removal.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read that the doctor, after being beaten and dragged off the plane will face felony charges. Felony charges will bring his career to a quick end, even if he wins. he will be financially devastated. So, we hear so much about how these "victims" should have just done what they were told. Was he an entitled putz who got what he deserved, or do police officers sometimes act like dicks?

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For one thing, I do not fly. I flew in 1996 on business to Atlanta to resolve a technical dilemma with the '96 Olympics. It was actually a pleasant experience. But I do not consent to give up my rights now to unreasonable search and seizure. I do not consent to having my little children patted down and strip searched as if we are all criminal suspects. I do not consent to being arrested and detained because I brought a pair of nail-clippers in my case. I do not consent to taking my shoes off and looked between my toes. The airline provides a service which I pay for and their "cure" is worse than the disease! The whole TSA situation is just ridiculous and putting the gov. in charge of air travel was just a very stupid mistake.

But I'm a stubborn, thick-headed SOB and I don't think I could have just sat there as that doctor was assaulted and dragged away just for sitting in his seat. I probably would have tackled the three guards and knocked all of them on their asses then incited half the guys there to get up and back me up.

Let them arrest the whole plane-full of passengers for rioting, walking off and getting refunds--- then they will have a real PR problem! But at some point, folks just have to learn to start standing up against such behavior.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read that the doctor, after being beaten and dragged off the plane will face felony charges. Felony charges will bring his career to a quick end, even if he wins. he will be financially devastated. So, we hear so much about how these "victims" should have just done what they were told. Was he an entitled putz who got what he deserved, or do police officers sometimes act like dicks?
    They asked people to volunteer to give up their seats. Nobody volunteered. So they chose people at random to leave. The doctor apparently was on that flight to care for patients elsewhere, which is why he refused to leave. As for being dragged off... yeah he was literally dragged off, after the video shows his face hitting a chairs arm on the other side of the aisle, and it looks like he's unconscious at that point (not entirely sure). As for police sometimes acting like dicks? I support the police, and think the media has overstepped their bounds in painting police officers to be worse than criminals, but they are human and can make mistakes.

But none of us were there to see for ourselves. But it appears the majority of the passengers were upset over his treatment, whereas in other videos with unruly passengers, you often see fellow passengers clapping when the passenger is removed. I think this guy got the short end of the stick.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

First your guitar, now they break your face.
    I think it's time for this company to be put down.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely fly anymore because I can't stand the TSA's ineptitude. But this wasn't TSA, this was the airlines that initiated this. I've given up my flight on three different occasions. Two times because the place was overbooked and families were in the pinch and once when it was overbooked and they just needed my seat. All three times I was rewarded generously and sat out the delay in the bar, so it wasn't a big deal. But I fly Southwest and they are the Greyhound of the sky.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's United's new advertising campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KDT20DoYQ4

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd say that "doctor" was a dick. the three others left the plane when asked, he should have complied too. Instead he made a spectacle of himself, and caused the flight to be delayed for 3 hours. I'd be pissed if I were on that flight. That DICK caused his own mess, there are rules to follow, and United followed the rules, the good "doctor" did not.............
    Man Refuses to Leave Plane

EDIT: And why did he scream like a little bitch? Geeeesh..........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

United must have known the flight was overbooked before they let passengers board. Seems like it would be much better to keep passengers from getting on rather than beating and dragging them off.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jp, he was a doctor with a legitimate ticket for the seat he was in, nothing more or less. He was randomly chosen because the chuckleheads at United overbooked as they are want to do. He did nothing wrong other than refuse to give up his seat. They have no policy for removing someone from a legally purchased seat. They made this shit up as they went along. I expect the attorneys are in line to help him and for once I agree that a lawsuit might have merit. United acted like a bunch of thugs. If their first enticement of $800 did not work then they should have upped the ante until they had takers. This was crap on their part.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beefeater, why is he a dick? He has a life too and a practice to get back too as he explained. How does that make him a dick? What makes his life less important than theirs?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beefeater, I wholeheartedly agree with your take on this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aquadoc, yes he had a ticket, but he was going to be compensated. He wasn't flying to perform an emergency surgery. The problem we face as a society is that everyone thinks they're special and the truth is that nobody is.

He should have given up his seat, taken the loot, and catch the next flight.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ash, why? I, like you, have taken the money or tickets, whatever... But I do not have a practice with patients and schedules. I am just saying his patients may not be so easily rescheduled. Who knows but he did nothing wrong and was treated like a piece of dirt. You may be correct and the truth may be somewhere in the middle but either way, United handled this like rank amateurs.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aqua-
    He's a dick because he didn't comply. He is no more important than anyone else on the plane. They needed four seats, they had a lottery draw, four people chosen, 3 left without fanfare, one decides to buck the system, makes a fool of himself, delays everyone else. Claims he's being singled out because of his ethnicity, screams like a little bitch when they remove him, causes all the rest of the paying passengers to be 3 hours late, and probably missed their connecting flights.......... That's being a dick in my book, plain and simple.

A lot of people suddenly become very "important" when they are inconvenienced.... I'm not convinced he was even a doctor.

Who knows but he did nothing wrong
    Nothing wrong? Its not HIS plane! When he owns his own airline, he can make his own rules. The rules are there to ensure a quick, uneventful flight for everyone--- this guy F*#@ked it up for everyone else. A good doctor wouldn't behave like that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

I don't understand this. The guy paid for a ticket, United assigned him a seat, he took the seat. End of story. I don't care if he was a doctor saving a child or if he was a computer schmoe like me wanting to get home for dinner. He paid for the ticket, payment was accepted. End of freaking story.

And exactly how did law enforcement get involved? Those weren't airline rent-a-cops - they were legit cops employing violence against a citizen - there's either something more to the story or this is straight-up police mistreatment.

Something happened that we don't know about.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Lol @ ashdigger & beefeater defending united

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

United has issued a public apology, and I believe Chicago PD has also.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeman, I'm not defending United. I'm stating the obvious since I've been bumped. Take the money and move on. Also, pipeman, read my earlier comment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

Respectfully (I mean that), I don't care about apologies. I care about explanations - did either say what incited this level of violence?

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeman- I'm not defending anyone. Rules are there for a reason, a plane full of passengers were delayed for three hours because this "doctor" refused to follow the rules thats all............

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If he was being a dick for the sake of being a dick then I agree. If he truly is a doctor and was concerned about his scheduling and patients, then Uniteds poor planning, management, and policy gets no sympathy. Look, they were overbooked before boarding. They knew that. I was a systems analyst for Delta and my team worked with Worldspan on flight scheduling and booking code back in the day. They knew exactly how many they were overbooked by and the percentages of no shows and the likeihood of X number of empty seats. They never should have boarded the plane before handling this issue. They have a policy for bumping passengers before boarding but it is all ad hoc afterward and they screwed the pooch. What if his wife had just gone into labor? Or his dad had just gone into emergency surgery or whatever? Would they have chosen someone else? They effed up. You are assuming a lot and condemning him without knowing why he felt compelled to get home. Just as I am doing so defending him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll agree that United shouldn't have overbooked. But that's not my issue here. It happened, now they have to deal with it. By their numbers, they had 86 MILLION passengers in 2016, they forced 3,765 people off, and 62,895 people volunteered to give up their seats...... that's .00077%, and that ain't too shabby in my book.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

The story, as I understand it is that the Airline was trying to make room for 4 UAL crew members who were DeadHeading to Louisville.

Call it over booking, or call it piss poor customer service, regardless, they offered compensation to bump folks, a couple accepted something like $800 or so.

UAL supposedly used some random algorithm to pick folks to be bumped.

The doctor stated that he couldn't miss the flight, that he had patients he had to meet the next day.

The United Airlines flunkie, in their typical arrogant fashion, would have rather won an argument than to win a friend and decided to call the police.

All in all this his a huge Cluster fU*! Once the cops arrived the doctor should have chartered a limo, been on his way and sent the bill to UAL. But, UAL, notorious for their rude employees and terrible customer service, absolutely stepped in it on this one.

As to the comments that the doctor was being a D!ck? No more than the slugs @ UAL for allowing such inept idiots to work there and treat customers that way.

As to the "Rules are there for a reason" argument. Help me understand....

I buy a ticket.
    I board the plane.
    Airline realizes that it needs to move some of it's employeee, for whatever reason, to destination of flight and decide to bump passengers.
    Compensation is offered
    Passengers decline
    Compensation is increased, a couple of passengers accept
    The excuse is given that the subsequent bumped passengers were drawn at random by some computer
    Passenger declines
    Cops are called in
    Passenger forcibly removed

So, with all of that, help me understand what "Rules" were in place that essentially turned UAL's problem of needing to move their employees from point A to point B, What part of those "Rules" constitutes that their screw up is now my problem and it is incumbent upon me to comply with their arbitrary "Rules"???

Sounds a whole lot like the FDA "Deeming" Horse Sh!t to me.

I had enough of their BullSh!t back in 2004. Haven't stepped foot on one of their planes since.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Pipeman, I'm not defending United. I'm stating the obvious since I've been bumped. Take the money and move on. Also, pipeman, read my earlier comment.

$800 isn't worth it missing your flight for. This guy bought a ticket on this flight at this time & he's got a schedule like everyone else. Take the $ & move on? Please. Get a grip. If you buy a ticket for a certain flight, it's bullshit for them to kick you off to send their employees.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting discussion on Flyer talk that includes those in the business and frequent flyers. Seems the choices are usually not random (they target those that use services to find cheap flights first) and that this was totally botched by United. But every one has an opinion : their policy is interesting reading https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1835638-man-pulled-off-overbooked-flight-ua3411-ord-sdf-9-april-2017-a-5.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I'll agree that United shouldn't have overbooked. But that's not my issue here. It happened, now they have to deal with it

Exactly, you finally got it! It's united's problem, not the passenger who already paid and boarded the plane. United gets to deal with it, and transport their employees another way

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeman, it's your opinion. Purely your opinion. Just like mine is my opinion. I'm sorry you can't grasp opinions and differences.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Where exactly is the opinion here?

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "rules" are spelled out in the carrier's "Contract of carriage" (the fine print that nobody bothers to read.)
    Bottom line though, UNITED owns the aircraft and UNITED can bump ALL THE PASSENGERS off the plane if they need to, as long as they follow the compensation policy. Its THEIR plane, no citizen is 'ENTITLED" to anything...... again, it's spelled out in the "contract's fine print"..... read it!...

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeman, you don't see your own opinion? Okay I got it, you just want to argue. Let's cut to the chase. You win the internet today.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I see a corporation using the police to enforce it's will when it's not a criminal matter.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beefeater, of course they can. I am sure you will find such legalese language in any fine print. But they will not be in business long if they continue to run their business as such. They are built on customer service. Let them have a few more PR nightmares like this one. Investors business daily sent out an alert regarding United Stock because of the issues of late. And they published a writeup just 9 hours ago about this debacle.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In before the lock.

Not too shocked at the what. Still surprised that companies forget phone cameras when deliberating the how.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Pipeman7- I'm not opining whether this is right or wrong, I'm just letting you know. Failure to comply with ANY instruction given to you by a flight crew member is a crime. If the gate agent asks the Flight Attendant to instruct you to do something, and the FA then does so, you are legally obligated to comply.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Beef,

I, like you I'm sure, have been flying commercially for over 4 decades now and have been a pilot for over 25 of those 40+ years.

Also, I, like you, read the "rules", but I must have missed something.

Couldn't find the "We have four employees that need to go to Louisville and this plane isn't leaving until four people give up their seats" rule!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/04/10/a-man-wouldnt-leave-an-overbooked-united-flight-so-he-was-dragged-off-battered-and-limp/?utm_term=.e8dd54e25880

I also missed the "You called me out on my bluff/intimidation/arrogance/incompetence so I'll get the cops to throw you off the plane' rules.

The arrogant UAL supervisor, though possibly thinking he has the "right" to "deem" things as he sees fit can't simply call a cantaloupe a watermelon and it pass any kind of scrutiny.

In the end the flight WAS NOT Overbooked. It was just fine until the ual folks decided to remove Paid in full ticketed customers from their "already occupied" seats.

Call it what you want brutha, but I ain't buyin it.

Arbitrary enforcement of rules/regs is one thing. Arbitrarily maken em up on the fly is another.

Finally, is your whole argument that the doctor "Inconvenienced" the other passengers!?!?!?

Really?

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have the full story, and I don't think anyone who's posted to date has, either. That will hopefully change in the coming days.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. downinit

downinit

Login to Send PM

beefeater: Easy for you to speak for someone else in that situation.

[No man has the] right to mislead others, who have less access to history, and less leisure to study it. . . . Thus substituting falsehood and deception for truthful evidence and fair argument.
    — Abraham Lincoln, Cooper Union Address, 1860
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But does the "doctor" smoke a pipe?

No? Call the cops!

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the days of "bad PR" and "lack of customer service" putting a major airline out of business are long gone. The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, intended to stimulate competition, instead miserably backfired (like most do-gooder regulation) and led to the cattle-car clogged morass we get to enjoy today, now that all the majors are consolidated into "super carriers" that are "too big to fail". If the ADA '78 was meant to destroy wages for employees, blast compensation through the roof for about half a dozen company officers, and inconvenience the entire flying public, it worked like a charm.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was about to say the same John. There are likely facts about this that thus far we are not privy to. It will all come out in the wash.

However I can't help but wonder why he was screaming like a child in the dentist's chair

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the friendly skies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeXrMRf25U8

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If he's a doctor, he could give himself an endorsement for an emotional support animal to fly with. Perhaps a nice, calming yak, or a sibilantly soothing Komodo dragon.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So here's the rule: It is a felony to not comply with all crew instructions. So yes - it was technically a crime when they said "get off" and he refused.

Counterpoint: They weren't removing him because they were overbooked. They were kicking off paying customers in order to accommodate themselves, i.e. four crew who needed to be somewhere else to crew another flight. That's not what the bumping rules were designed for.

What happens next in the real world? No prosecutor in the country prosecutes the Dr. He's free to move on. United will someday tally up the money and realize they probably spent $10 million give-or-take for four seats from Chicago to Kentucky. They'll pay him a bunch without much delay, and they'll pay through a short term knee-jerk reaction from the public who will book other airlines first. Then we will all forget about it and move on.

I'm at 33,000 miles flown so far this year, have been a pilot for 32 years, am an attorney for my day job, and grew up in an aviation family with a professional pilot father since before I was born.

Oh - and none of that matters. A 4th grader could have told United how to handle this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is precisely why I didn't opine any rightness or wrongness of the situation, and merely stated the rule. If anyone was perplexed as to why LEOs were involved, that is the reason.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Jmatt,

I'm agreeing with you that ignoring / disobeying a crew members instruction is a felony. But if the order is itself fraudulent, or even illegal, is ignoring it still a criminal act?

On the lighter side of this, I came across.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A customer has a right to the services they purchased. Just as the airline has a right to timely and full payment, the customer has a right that every effort will be made within their control to provide the flight to the destination, on the date selected and to take reasonable steps to insure the passenger's safety.

Not be the ones who assault him.

The airline needed to find a /reasonable/ remedy. Offer more money, pick someone else.

Rather than being a dick, maybe the guy was just trying to take a long-overdue stand for what seems like increasingly unreasonable, invasive, abusive and unfair treatment from everyone you deal with anymore.

Going along with such bad treatment is acceptance of it. How would you like to hail a cab then along the way have the driver find a better fare and THROW YOU OUT ONTO THE STREET to take the other guy instead?

Fine print or no, I doubt anyone really agrees to potential assault just to fly home, but they need the flight. If United has so little respect for that customer to have him beat up and bodily thrown off just for taking his seat, then they have no more respect for you or me either. I won't fly under those terms.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm agreeing with you that ignoring / disobeying a crew members instruction is a felony. But if the order is itself fraudulent, or even illegal, is ignoring it still a criminal act?

Well that's the problem. You don't have the right to debate the appropriateness of the crew instructions. The correct Legal recourse is to obey the instructions, de-plane, the pursue whatever rights you believe you're entitled to. In the interest of safety, the plane's crew wins every time. At least for that moment. They can lose round two in either a real court (likely here) or in the court of public opinion (already demonstrated in this case today).

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've read this whole thread, which is pretty interesting to say the least. So my question is this. Is the pizza better in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New York, of course. Silly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

New York, of course. Silly

No, in Jersey.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 2 years ago #
  59. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer a style of pizza known as Hot Pockets.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Their calzones are amazing

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure they serve those on United flights!

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I pay for a service and the company gladly takes my money for said service, then I expect them to carry out their part of the contract. If I buy a ticket in advance, show up on the date and time, claim the seat that I was assigned and paid for in advanced; then why should I have to give up my seat for the company "over-booking" the flight and/or needing to move a few company employees. Them over-booking the flight is not my problem if I paid for the flight in advanced, and it's also not my problem that they need to move some employees. So because the company screwed up, I get screwed and have to alter my plans. That's complete BS, and if the compensation was so good then why did only 3 people take the offer. Couldn't have been that good of compensation. Horrible planning and customer service on United's part.

They should have realized the flight was over-booked before seating individuals and made the offer's at that point instead of trying to remove someone after everyone was seated. Again, horrible planning and customer service on United's part.

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...in fact, come to think of it, I bet if they would have just offered the poor guy a hot pocket to go he would have been ok with the whole thing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian, that has been my point this entire time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just saw the story on the national news. Of course, Jmatt is right, the airline writes the service agreement and like all such contracts, they agree that they have all rights and you have none. So of course, they go in there like a bull in a china closet because no Washington lawmaker writes a regulation forcing the airlines to better behavior, instead, makes it a FELONY if you don't jump when they say boo, no matter how wrong they might be at the moment.

Just imagine for the moment the doctor was a special brain surgeon flying to perform life-saving surgery in the morning and now that child dies.

Since the airline is Big Government now, they never stop to listen and actually consider the customer; legally, they have all rights and nothing they do is a felony but everything you might do (or not do) is, and so, this is what you have happen.

If they treated a dog that poorly, you would have a dozen organizations suing them on animal rights and cruelty.

It's all very legal and all very screwed up. You are less than a dog to the airline.

Whatever the airline says or does now won't be out of any sense of contriteness, but rather just to limit public image damage. All aboard.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Brian, that has been my point this entire time.

Digger, my point is, a few hundred dollars & a hot pocket isn't worth being kicked from your flight to some people. Someone might have a funeral to attend, a wedding, they could be a doctor performing a life-saving surgery. It's totally fucked up for United to kick a guy off who has to be somewhere and paid to be taken somewhere at a specific time JUST to send some of their employees. I don't get the greedy big corporation defending here where the little guy is getting fucked

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Again, no one knows all the circumstances.

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

What a mess. I've given up my seat a few times. It's an inconvenience, but not a tragedy, and the airlines involved did their best to get me to where I needed to be as soon as possible. On one occasion TWA flew me and my crew from NYC back to LA on an otherwise unoccupied plane that was being relocated and provided amazing service to us for being so cooperative. Of course, I haven't flown Untied Airlines in decades.

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last time I flew anywhere was appx 2003. And, Lord willing, I will never fly again. I figured out a long time ago the whole airline/TSA situation is one giant Orwellian-police-state-clusterf*ck, and I do not want to voluntarily put myself in that type of environment.

I do feel sorry for anyone who has to fly somewhere for whatever reason, but IMO, people need to clearly understand going into it that you're entering a militarized environment, and if you decide to start arguing with one of the "authorities" in such an environment, you're likely to end up like the good Doctor in today's story...or worse.

And that's just the way it is...because every congressional election cycle, we the people return appx 96% of incumbents back into office. So don't expect anything to change.

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I flew in 1996 on business to Atlanta to resolve a technical dilemma with the '96 Olympics."

So there would have been no '96 Olympics without your timely intervention...well done you

Tell me though Toob, exactly how big is your trumpet? It appears to get bigger by the day

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, dmcmtk, cigrmaster, jfred, cohibajoe, yaddy306, hawky454, brooklynpiper, rslvid99, chilllucky, zion, ryeguy