PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I almost always suck in some bits of tobacco when I first light up a pipe. I grab my tongue with my fingers and wipe the bits off on my jeans or whatever is close. Are there any other tongue grabbers?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whatever works. Sometimes I a able to spit it out, other times pick it off with fingernail.
However, if you start with a clean chamber and be sure to load in the biggest bits of tobacco, you'll get less up the airway.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wondered what this thread was going to be. :mrgreen:

Nope, never grab the tongue to remove tobacco. I just swallow it, if it isn't easily spat out. It's been happening a lot lately. Maybe I need to ease up on rubbing it out. (Jeez, this all sounds so dirty :roll: )

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No tongue grabbing for me. As a former (and still very occasional tobacco chewer) I enjoy the taste for a moment, and down the hatch they go.
EDIT: And if I get them, I get them on my test draw, before I light.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Make a nest in the bottom of your bowl with longer strands before loading the bowl.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Duane, have you ever tried picking the "longer strands" out of Prince Albert? It's like picking fly shit out of pepper!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've tried the Medico/Grabow style filters before, and found that a stray chunk of tobacco lodged in one is sort of a game-ender. Doesn't seem as pronounced with the Savinelli balsas.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, have you ever tried picking the "longer strands" out of Prince Albert? It's like picking fly shit out of pepper!
With blends like that, I run a pipe cleaner just into the bowl, and make a firm pack to the level of the cleaner then pack as normal.

Mar 1, 2014
The best filters are little spirals of pipe cleaner, with the right angle you get minimal air restriction and it still traps all the little tobacco bits, plus it collects a lot of moisture to help reduce gurgle.
9mm pipes and filter stem Cobs seem to work best, the Savinelli 6mm slots don't seem to be quite big enough.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I just spit. *Pthhhht pthhhht!*
I used to just swallow bits of tobacco and ash that made it all the way ... probably wasn't a good thing. :wink:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The other end of the tongue grab is when you're at the bottom of the bowl trying to get the last few hits out of it, and bam!; a hot ember of tobacco hits the tip of your tongue. I grab then too.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Just remember fellas, it is okay to pick shards of tobacco off your own tongue but it is considered bad manners to do that to a fellow pipe smoker's waggler, unless he asks you to, of course.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Even then, it should be done in private! Have yet to see a lady smoker whose tongue I'd care to pick. I am sure she's out there, just haven't met her yet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.