PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I have wondered, but I have not yet seen this question asked. When smoking my pipe I usually put it on the left hand side of my mouth and it sits there, but occasionally I put on the right hand side, but it feels strange there sometimes. This got me to wonder if this is a right handed/left handed issue and if your dominant hand correlates to which side of your mouth you usually put your pipe? So, my question is.................
Are you right handed or left handed and which side of you mouth do you usually use when you smoke your pipe?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Right & right.
It amuses me that the pipe babes mostly center the pipe in their mouths.

Makes me think they don't really smoke a pipe. (That could be the photographer's fault.)

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I'm a righty and typically smoke with my right hand on the right side of my mouth. However, when I'm outside I usually smoke with whatever hand is more into the wind.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Right-handed, but this means I hold the lighter in my right hand, pipe in left. So the pipe almost always goes in the left side of my mouth, and I continue to hold it in my left hand. My wife thinks this is weird, but then she thinks that most things I do are weird. :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
right and right, but I also hold my lighter with my right hand.....so I have to swith when re-lighting. I've never been accused of being normal!

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I switch and it probably spends equal time on either side, and in either hand. When driving, I think I keep it in my right hand, because the blinker is on the left, lol!

Makes me think they don't really smoke a pipe. (That could be the photographer's fault.)
Maybe it is a gender thing? I tend to see clenching out the side or gripping the bowl of a pipe as more masculine, and smoking with it centered or lightly grasping the pipe at the stem, like a straw, as more feminine.

That isn't to say, you should smoke a certain way, or even care. Just do what's comfortable!
It also could be purely for the sake of a photograph.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Right-handed, but this means I hold the lighter in my right hand, pipe in left. So the pipe almost always goes in the left side of my mouth, and I continue to hold it in my left hand.
Same here.
Makes a lot of sense although I never realized it until now. Not only is my right hand working the lighter, but I am usually reserving it for turning a page or writing something down while I am smoking.
The pipe is usually on the left side of my mouth, I would estimate about 70% of the time, so I do switch off occasionally.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
I am a righty and the pipe usually sits to the right side of my mouth. Sometimes I will move it to the left side but it feels a bit unnatural to me when I do so.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
cortezattic wrote:

Makes me think they don't really smoke a pipe.
Wait. So we shouldn't be basing our pipe etiquette on the pipe babes photos?
Next you'll be telling us we shouldn't be dressing like them either. . .

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I'm also right handed but smoke with my left hand. It keeps my dominant hand free to do other things. This is an interesting thread.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I extremely right-handed. My left hand is merely an assistant to the right. Left hand is really a meat hook. I can barely pick up the pipe with my left hand. Forget about operating the lighter with it.
I try to keep my pipe moving around my mouth as to not concentrate the smoke and heat in any one place. I try not to clench either because of TMJ. I usually clamp it centered while lighting, then move it from side to side during the smoke, holding and setting it down periodically.
So I guess I'm "pipe-a-dextrious", favoring neither right or left.
CACooper

Status
Not open for further replies.