PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I recycle cans, and wondered if I could recycle all the used pipe cleaners I just throw away. Seems a shame to just let them sit in an ever expanding hole in the ground, when they could be used to make other things. Plus when we turn our cans in, we get paid, so that would be just a slight bonus. If anyone knows about this, please let me know. Thanks in advance guys.
Btw, if this is a repeat thread I'm sorry, I didn't see a post about this subject.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I used to know a guy who would toss his used pipe cleaners in a pillow case and wash them. He claims he this let him get one additional use out of them. Not quite the answer you were looking for, but there you go. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I participate in my community's recycling program where metals are separated during processing.

So I don't think a special set-aside is necessary.
I too have heard of washing used pipe cleaners en masse; but I think the benefit would pale in

comparison to the expense of detergent, water, electricity, and washing machine wear.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't think putting pipe cleaners in your washer is a good ideal. The wife would kill me, and I can't see them getting too expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think recycling potential depends on a system for processing materials, and this relies in having

the necessary volume of material. You can't justify the sorting and handling unless you have a lot

of material that has an immediate re-use that doesn't require much transport. Pipe cleaners are so

small and light, and they are used by a small part of the population, so the revenue stream isn't

there. Maybe they could be recycled by householders at twists for garbage bags or tomato vines.

Status
Not open for further replies.