PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don't know. Most are aluminum so they should be. Just remember, when they heat that aluminum up it creates the same byproducts that originally were created during the initial process.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yes, of course they can. My wife, rest her soul, used them for storing beads. She also stored seeds from her garden in tins. I use them for small bits and pieces of photo gear, the wee plastic shields and caps which need to be removed for speed lights, battery grips and the like.
I toss many more than I save, though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ah, that kind of recycle. If they pay me for the tins, I'll recycle. If they make money and don't share . . . well fie on them. I won't share either. I'm pretty narrow minded in that respect. I'd rather they go to the landfill to make more usable land. The old landfill here is now part of a thriving airport, generating taxes for the muni. I like that! A very positive thing with regards to my property tax rate.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
No different than pop and soup cans so I don't see why you couldn't toss 'em in the recycle bin? :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I glued a cork knocker in one to be my ashtray for when I smoke by the computer. Probably use a couple for holding waxworms when I go ice fishing this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think they'd be perfect for kids storing their treasures, the way we used to use cigar boxes, if the stigma of tobacco related items isn't too great. With the interesting artwork and typography, it's a shame to consign them to scrap metal. For small hardware -- screws, bolts, washers -- what could be better?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I feel a pang of wonder and guilt every time I toss an empty one.
Check with your local recycling center. That'll make the guilt go away.
This forum is sort of in the dumps lately with all these maudlin topics.
Most of what's wrong with the world is the big things. Too many people, bad leadership, too many crazies.
Focus on what you can change. If recycling bugs you, find someone who will accept the tins. Or melt 'em down into swords. There's always something that can be done.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I don't really feel guilty throwing them away, since the majority of tins I had have dents on them, the result of bad delivery.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Throw 'em in the recycling bin. Worst case scenario, an annoyed sorting employee at the recycling plant has to throw it away for you.
Or you could save up your tins and make an art sculpture!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thank you to those who tried answering my question and to those who criticized my concern for our planet...SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOIN' HOME!! LOL!
I guess I should have been more specific. I'll try again. Are these tins made of recyclable material? They are mildly magnetic and do rust so they aren't aluminum but they are softer than steel. If I call my recycling center they will ask 'well, what are they made of?' so if anyone knows please let me know. I have plenty for small parts storage already.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
They are mildly magnetic and do rust so they aren't aluminum but they are softer than steel.
Depending on the additives/carbon content and how the steel is processed can make steel really strong, tough, brittle, and/or soft. When I taught metal working at a high school I made three knife banks from the same steel but heat treated them differently. One would shatter when hit with a hammer, one would mush out when hit and the other would show no mark from the hammer strike. Tobacco tins tend to be a guilded/painted steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.