PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I got a question for those that like Lat, Va, Per, Orientals, and blends of the like. Sorry if this is a little long-winded.
Since I started down this wondrously fantastic voyage of pipe smoking I have purchased and sampled about a grand worth of tobacco. I tried to try all the main brands and flavors that most people talk about, with the exception of Aro's (did that first and found out real quick it wasn't my cup of tea). Consequently, I have discovered what I, personally, like best, but I am curious if this is wide ranging, or just me and those like me. As best as I can describe it with my "young" pallet, what I like is creamy, nutty, smokey, subtle sweetness, spicy, woodsy, and love the mysterious component of some Orientals. Now I don't mean all this in one blend, but rather these are the adjectives that best describe the attributes of the tobacco's I enjoy most. Given all that, and the sampling that I have done, I have come to the conclusion that most of the tobacco blends made by Greg Pease, and the Mississippi River and Plum Pudding of SPC are on... well.. another level of tobacco's, at least with respect to the taste's and flavors that I most enjoy personally. There are brands and flavors that are similar, for example the Frog Morton series are excellent tobaccos that have the flavors I like, but none compare to what I taste with GLP and SPC with respect to balance and the melding of the flavors in my mouth. The others have the flavors but they are to me separate from each other, and leave a dryer aftertaste in my mouth. I have not tasted anything in a rectangle or round tin in the form of flakes or ribbons that approach the flavors that I get from blends by GLP. And frankly I think Mississippi River is like nectar from the gods in the right pipe.
I thought perhaps I am just in a wonderful time of pipe tobacco blends and fortunate to sample these special tobaccos that are going to be the future. But then awaken, and I'm thinking perhaps this is just a personal preference and that others don't necessarily think that GLP and SPC are indeed on the next, or another level. What are your thoughts on these. Are there tobacco brands and tins that you have smoked for years that you feel are just as good a Gaslight, or a Mississippi River? Are the tobaccos I like REALLY that good? or just to me?
Thanks for your time :puffy:

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Well, opinions naturally differ here. But Pease is widely considered to be one of the most gifted blenders on the market today, and quite possibly THE most gifted, especially when it comes to Latakia and oriental mixtures. A lot of people would agree that Pease is on a whole different level from his competitors. That,at least, is my opinion. Ive tried many Pease blends that I will never smoke again because the are not my cup of tea, but I have yet to try one that was not a top notch product, quality-wise. And, while he is most revered for his Latakia blends, I think some of his best creations have been in entirely different genres, like Filmore and Jakcknife plug.

I any case, I will also add that Russ Oulette may well be Greg's equal, which I find amazing considering that Russ seems far more prolific. Blends like that Magnum Opus, Blach House and especially Fusiliers Ration are the equals of anything Greg has produced, even if they aren't actually better.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm thinking perhaps this is just a personal preference
Thats where Im at on this Monty. There's something about individuals PH in their mouth and the Acidity/Alkalinity of each tobacco type. The process each maker uses and the moisture content of each batch effects things too. Storing tobacco should be a little more moist than that to be smoked I feel, so drying out before smoking works for me, which changes the taste somewhat. Especially the pleasure level to me.
Its been over 3 months since stated the pipe and I suspect as I have just now narrowed down the style of pipes, types of tobaccos, etc... In a period of time, I will either change altogether or want to venture out on a taste quest experiment. At least I do have now a ground zero to work from.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks guys. This is great.. I got more to try! lol. But these are the first geared toward the flavors I like most. Great information!
I guess it's like Greg Pease says... it's much like food. Everyone has there own specific tastes literally, that define what they like and don't like. I LOVE a good liver pate, others would not. And that's ok, cause there's more for me :wink:

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
If anyone else was wondering (I had to look it up), SPC is Seattle Pipe Club and it seems that Mississippi River is one of their blends.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Mississippi River is great it is my everyday smoke. I also like Plum Pudding. I just recently tried WhiteKnight a excellent baccy.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Can't speak to the specifics of the blends mentioned (except for Black House...), as I have yet to try any GLP or SPC blend - but it looks like I've got some great stuff to look forward to!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Anyone heard of ashton tobacco :?: Ive been told its a really good blends but ive never heard it on here.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I can't vouch for every GLP blend but if you want flavor, look no further than his Barbary Coast. As previously stated by doctorhoss, I've yet to smoke a blend by Greg that isn't a quality product. Jack Knife Plug was too strong in Nicotine for my tastes, but otherwise it was good.
Russ is great. I love many of his blends. Black House and Plum Pudding being my favorites.
McCranie's Somerled is fantastic. I've tried Peretti's, Uhle's and 4Noggins, all of which make a great product. There are so many great blends which tease the palate that it's hard to choose which to smoke some days.
-Jason

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Monty55-- Sounds like your taste buds favor the Latakias, and I agree with you Pease does them best :worship:

I find that his mixing style is on par with what I crave in a good smoke, and have found no equal for that genre.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good blends out there, McClelland's for VA's for me, Escudo has no equal, etc. etc. I guess the point is that you are fortunate to have GLP making stuff to suit your tastes and He's got enough blends to keep one busy for a while. Now where is that tin of Odyssey?................. :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
SPC plum pudding is probably one of the best English blends I've ever smoked, so I would agree you've started with exceptional tobacco's. I can't wait to try Mississippi river. Considering SPC is roughly the same price as Dunhill bulk, I'd take plum pudding over 965 any day. EMP though and nightcap though as a different story and have a permanent place in my rotation. 965 is good but just for the same price I'd rather get plum pudding. It's simply amazing, a perfect tobacco.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you might want to give Exotique Mixture from Smokers Haven a try.. I also second the suggestion of Northwoods from Boswells.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm gonna try the Plum Pudding--it sounds yummy. But I'm a creature of habit, and tend to make my selection of baccys a little limited. For the most part I stick to EMP (a great blend), !Q as my standard tobacco in my pouch, some Maple Street, Molto Dolce without which I cannot live, some flakes like University and Dunhill, and a whole jar of different sample blends when I want something different. But 1Q and Dolce are my core favorites.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
After spending some time with Fillmore, I bought a few tins of Dunhil Navy Rolls. The DNR were flat and uninspiring in comparison. GLP really is wonderful. However, his house style does not cover all aspects of tobacco so a complete cellar would have to have more than Saint Greg's offerings. I think a few of us would love to see Mr Pease tackle a version of Condor or something deep-pressed and English.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I feel the same way as far as melding the pipe to the tobacco.SPC Mississippi River can do no wrong in my small billiard meerschaum.. McClellan's Dark english really rings the bell in my Tim West freehand.You want a morning smoke try H&H Daybreak or Sutliff #5.Northwoods in the right pipe is very nice. The list can go on and on. I can't speak on GLPease tobacco but what your smoking that i can identify is good stuff.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Great post. Thanks. I am going to bookmark this one and read it more carefully. While I like variety and I enjoy the "journey" I too am fairly persistent in my search for what blends I truly enjoy over others. My frustration is that it really takes several smokes on different days to really assess whether or not you like a particular blend.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 on that rsuninv ... currently working through a tin of

H&H Ambassador's Blend which is also very good.
Soon I will open up my tin of Sunjammer and

that will complete all of the H&H English blends for me.
I have not tried the Crown Achievement yet but plan to soon ... I hear of a great promo going on ...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Lat, Va, Per, Orientals I have these blends on hand but after 50 years of smoking a pipe I have moved back to blends like LANES BCA and 1Q . I smoke many of the aro's from McClelland :puffy:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
After spending some time with Fillmore, I bought a few tins of Dunhil Navy Rolls. The DNR were flat and uninspiring in comparison. GLP really is wonderful. However, his house style does not cover all aspects of tobacco so a complete cellar would have to have more than Saint Greg's offerings. I think a few of us would love to see Mr Pease tackle a version of Condor or something deep-pressed and English.
I think that this is right. Greg's blends seem to me, on the whole, to have pretty high levels of complexity. Not to say that all of them are fussy: I can smoked Fillmore or Meridian or whatever while walking mindlessly through the park with my dog. But if I choose to sit down and concentrate on it, there are multitudes contained within. Not all of them. I think Maltese Falcon and Lombard are pretty standard, for instance. But most of his blends are blends that I think have a ton going for them, and most of those suit my palate quite well.
He has hinted once at doing something Stonehaven-esque, but so much of that has to do with equipment that he simply doesn't have access to. I seem to recall reading in a few places that he hated Condor, and I don't ever recall him talking about a Lakeland-style blend with any sort of enthusiasm. He's always said he blends to suit himself, and if your tastes match his, well, good for you. Russ seems a little more democratic and willing to step outside of his own tastes, or maybe has a wider set of tastes. They're both fine blenders, but then I've smoked many, many times more of Greg's blends than Russ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.