Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and to pipe smoking! My girl friend just picked up these three pipes for me while at a thrift shop in Manhattan, are these any good? They're definitely going to be a lot of work to clean up- which I have no clue how to do. She paid $16 for the bent bulldog (Comoy, Grand Slam), $16 for the straight (Comoy, Grand Slam) and $9 for the one with the oval bowl (Kaywoodie, Standard) (seems to be having a burnout on one side of the top of the bowl). They all have odd metal filters too. Let me know what you think. Thanks for taking the time to read this. - Brett

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Couldn't figure out how to attach pictures… so I already have additional questions for you guys lol

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
TEST
pipe1.jpg

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
FINALLY!!!
See what I mean- These pipes are filthy! How do i go about sterilizing the pipe, cleaning the oxidation off the stems, dealing with the slight burnout if such a thing is even possible and cleaning out the bowls?
pipe2.jpg

pipe9.jpg

pipe12.jpg

pipe4.jpg

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Are these any good? In my opinion, Yes.

I think any pipe is. On the street an average person isn't going to know if it's a $30 Dr. Grabow from a Rite Aid in Jersey City or a rare Dunhill from Alfred's personal collection lol.
Seriously though, with a little clean up, I think they will come out being some pretty sharp pipes.

Someone mentioned taking the girl friend out for dinner, I agree.
Those metal filters are called stingers. Some guys remove them from the pipe , while others leave them in. I'm in the Leave Them In camp. Especially if they are older pipes for they will lower re-sale value if you decide you want to sell them.
EDIT: Welcome to the forums.
I like those pipes and I'd be happy to have them sitting on my pipe rack.

Well anyways the guys who can really answer your questions will be along to help.

Good luck to you and find some nice tobacco to enjoy in those pipes.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Definitely should fix them up. There are a lot of threads on how to do these things. I learned quite a bit from reading/asking questions here. You'll definitely see a pipes in much worse condition being turned into gems.

Also Reborn Pipes is another great place to look around at.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Welcome, and yes there are many good threads here to investigate on estate pipe restoration. Check out and search Youtube since a video is much more instructive sometimes. Read through some of the "Reborn Pipe" blog entries for some good tips. Reborn Pipes Link
If you have specific questions, be sure to ask in the "Pipe Repair and Maintenance" forum.
Looking forward to some "after" pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.