PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does anyone know of pipe museums in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world? It seems like a

natural subject for at least a small museum, with a collection of peace pipes to the latest

metal pipes. Of course, I'm talking about tobacco pipes, not bongs and other non-tobacco

drug pipes here.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Some years ago I visited a place in Nashville Tenessee.They made Skoll there.I think it's now called US Smokeless Tobacco Company.They had a tobacco museum.To be honest though it was so long ago that I don't remember much about it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My parents went to Europe and encountered one, I will probably post pics later, most likely on of the two you mentioned in France since that's one of the countries they went to.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Iwan Ries, downtown Chicago, had one, I think its still available in their store.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
At one time the Valentine Museum in Richmond had a large collection on display. I don't know if they still display it or not. Frank Burla has a private by appointment only Museum in suburban Chicago that is a awesome site to see. To have the curator/founder interpret the collection is a rare treat! 8O

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hello,

There is one meerschaum pipe museum in Eskisehir/Turkiye .I will be writing an article and putting some photos of it soon.
Regards,

B.B

benrapaport

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
Want to know where are all the museums that have antique pipes on display, although some may be in storage? I have the database if you want a copy: ben70gray@gmail.com
Ben Rapaport

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not open to the public, but peck's restored barn and fishnbanjo's pipe rack room(s) come immediately to mind. I think Missouri Meerschaum in Washington, Mo., and Dr. Grabow at Sparta, N.C., have exhibits that are museum-like, but access to these is by arrangement only, I think.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
There's a Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221 Baker Street in London.

http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/
//lh6.ggpht.com/__zoKJ77EvEc/TaqRCyPo3NI/AAAAAAAAM6U/EkRGdVwpvxo/sherlock-holmes-museum7%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

//lh6.ggpht.com/__zoKJ77EvEc/TaqRangtyfI/AAAAAAAAM6o/YjO7iLWq-CU/sherlock-holmes-museum11%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Frank Burla, former CPCC president and one of its co-founders, had a private museum for a number of years in a suburban Chicago condominium that he inherited from his mother. It was stocked with Frank’s incredible collection of pipes and tobacciana, including a massive library in multiple languages. Although Frank doesn’t drink liquor, the museum had a supply of fine liquors supplied by grateful visitors along with soft drinks. There was even a guest room for overnight visitors. It was free to visit. Sadly, by the time I joined CPCC, Frank had sold the contents of his museum to a Chinese buyer and he told me that it is now located in the throneroom of one of the emperor’s former palaces, so I never visited. He talks about it at length in his Pipes Magazine Radio Show interview with Brian Levine.
Iwan Ries has a modest collection of pipes and tobacciana in a couple cases in the shop, but nothing I’d call a museum. There’s a pipe shop in Old Town San Diego that’s got a really impressive display of historic pipes. The shop caters to tourists visiting the “museum” campus and the propietor has a somewhat goofy Old West outfit, but has a legit array of pipes for sale. It was a fun visit.
There’s a museum in Australia that has a portion of the Buring Pipe Collection, which was said to have been one of the two largest collections in the world during the 1950s. I own a few items from the collection that were not donated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was a little surprised that the folk art museum in the N.C. mountains had zero pipes. They have pottery, jewelry, textiles crafts, wood carving, furniture, toys, clothing, and all manner of folk art, but no carved pipes. Of course, the late Bob Hayes should be there, along with Jerry Perry, and likely a dozen others, some of them from Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C. I concluded that, since children are often taken to museums, administrators don't want to be in continual discussion about whether they are promoting a health hazard to their young museum goers, so perhaps pipes are out. It seems to me a discrete selection wouldn't be promotional in that way, but I think that could be what's going on.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Museum of Bells and Pipes in Przemyśl, Poland
link
AF1QipMdMhs8llbxvEtGvORRHh1iuYyfq-whQH25MUUY=w394-h292-n-k-no

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I wanted to contribute with my two pennies, but the places I know of in Europe have already been mentioned. :puffpipe:

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Peter Heinrich's has a pipe museum near Cologne called “Chateau Henri” The house of 1000 pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.