PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
A long time ago, I could open up my Yahoo home page and get REAL news stories from a variety of sources. Those days are long gone it appears. I haven't used a home page in awhile but Yahoo loves to email me every morning with the latest update on the Kardashians and other wasted pseudo journalism pieces.
Where do you go to get real information on meaningful happenings around the world?

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Most people are more interested in the Kardashians than in world events. It's also almost impossible (in the US) to find news stories without a pretty obvious bias.
(I lean pretty far liberal, but I want my data as unbiased as possible. Tell me what happened, don't tell me how I'm supposed to interpret it!)
Ever since news became entertainment, most sources are more interested in "click-bait" headlines and sensationalism rather than information.
Sorry. I can't help you.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Depends on your definition of the words "news" and "real". If you are looking for unbiased reporting though, those days never existed on the internet.
I find Reuters to be mostly unbiased and a good source for news story.

I volunteer as a coach for debate teams that compete regionally and nationally, and the NSDA accepts news (not editorials or commentary) from CNN, NPR, BBC, and CNBC without question. They have the best track record for factual reporting. You just have to suffer through the editorials to get to the facts.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
BYO. I built my own.
I use NetNewsWire (desktop and mobile) and Flipboard (mobile) to select topics/feeds and news outlets that then get poured into one list/place for me. This is by-the-moment, 24/7/365. Some items will be trivial, others factual. All-in-all, when the local and national TV stations report at 6pm... I have already been there, done that for 99.9%. Be sure to add some international sources if you live in the USAUSAUSA.
Most of the traditional -- print, cable, online -- sources have one or many email summaries you can subscribe to, daily or weekly: check those out; as I do that too. Each email will contain many links, and there you go.
If you have found individuals -- whether columnists or other talkingheads -- you like: odds are you can get notified when they have something new online.
Like B&Ms for tobacco, also patronize a neighborhood newsstand for something that will leave some ink on your fingertips. If only on Fridays or Sunday.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Drudge Report"

+1

I just let Drudge drive my news flow. He just links articles, but he is the single biggest force in driving news stories. Way over a billion hits a month.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another vote for Drudge here. One of the brilliant things he does is to create a headline to whatever story he's linking to that reveals the true significance of the story. The actual headline on the story is often very different and much less relevant than the one he gives it.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Drudge Report. In addition to the linked stories, there are also links to almost all of the other sources cited.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I go with Drudge as it just seems to post from a variety of sources. But again I posit, what's real and what is fluff, what is objective and what is slanted is entirely dependent on your own biases and beliefs. So, not knowing yours randelli, I would be hesitant in suggesting.
I personally like BBC, which does some puff, for one slant and Fox, also lots of puff pieces, for the opposite point of view. Then I start my research on articles which have piqued my interest in pursuit of the truth. A never ending and often convoluted pursuit which rarely results in a concrete finding. And, so quite possibly a waste of my time and effort.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I spend at least an hour in the morning to read news from the sites below:
Washington Post

CNN

BBC

Gizmodo

Lifehacker

Wired

(+ 3 Turkish, 1 Russian, 1 Korean, 1 local news sites and social media).

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
If you can weed thru the bullshit of CNN and, afterward, the bullshit of Fox, you can somewhat get a clearer picture of what's actually going on out there.
Otherwise, I just go with Drudge.

Status
Not open for further replies.