Are there any cigars that come close to the taste of pipe tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Just wondering. I used to smoke cigars fairly frequently (only occasionally now). Would be nice if there were cigar stick that tasted like a good VaPer..

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
None that I know of... Even the CAO Flavors cigars are completely different than their pipe tobacco counterparts.
-Jason

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
There are a few that do. What I would recommend to you is the Cain black label, in the nub size. The larger sizes lack that Virginia flavor, let me know what you think!

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
In completely opposite directions, both can soothe the savage beast, and entice nirvana, but they are such totally different experiences. Kinda odd since they are both baccy.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I was going to mention Black & Milds.
From what I've experienced, it takes an aged and expensive cigar to get close to pipe tobacco, and it's still a distant second place even then.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Durango Cigars just came out this year (after 12+ years in the making) and they are FANTASTIC.
Brennan's-a cigar and wine bar here in St. Louis-sells them and you can find the beginnings of their web presence if you do a search.
Go here

http://durangocigars.com/Revolutionary_Blends.html
I've only had the Columbian Mint, but it was spectacular. Not gimmicky or overly sweet. Just an exceptionally smooth cigar with something special running through it. They are also making 2 more right now, but I'm not sure which types.

I think you've got to call Brennan's St. Louis Directly to get them, but I whole-heartedly recommend.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks for the tips on Cain black label & Brennan's. I'll give them a try....

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Black and milds are probably the closest... If you want a cigar but not the "cigar" flavor, try Acids from Drew Estates, those are the only cigars I smoke when

I smoke cigars

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm like some of the others. I like a Montecristo or a Punch now and then, but I like them because they are what they are. I did smoke Black and Milds back in the day, but you almost couldn't pay me to smoke one now that I have my pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is one line of cigars that is like smoking a chocolate bar. They are the Padron Anniversary Maduros. Everyone in the line is a fantastic cigar, but they are not cheap. They are unique in every way and there is nothing in the cigar world like it. It is a Nicaraguan puro and extremely well made. I began smoking them somewhere back around 1996 and I never had one that didn't impress the hell out of me. They are as consistent as any thing I have ever smoked. If you want to treat yourself to one of the worlds best cigars, I highly recommend them.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Not virgina flav, but I really enjoy Tabak especial and Isla del Sol. They are both coffee infused.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Baron, are Black & Milds tipped mini cigars like Captain Black? That was where I started back in the day... (Perhaps you are referring to a full size version?)
I used to hate how acrid they'd become as soon as you got halfway. One day I read on the package "Pipe Tobacco Cigars" and went home to look up pipes on the internet and the rest they say is history...
I smoke Cuban cigars once or twice a year but the selection is awful around here. Romeo y Julieta and H Uppmann are the best of the bunch - there might be 1 choice each... I don't know if you will ever get the pipe tobacco experience out of a cigar because the flavours intensify so much, but I'd listen to the guys around here who know their stogies.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I have very limited experience with cigars, aka I only smoked one xD but the acid cigars teamed up with a hookah tobacco brand and I think they made/ are making flavored cigars that should taste like pipe tobacco? Also I have seen cigars that are like 80% Latika that's gotta taste like Larry's blend right?

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Harris...I used to smoke Padron Anniversary exclusively. I have a dealer in town who is able to get me most sizes. I agree that they are the epitome of the cigar world, and I favor them to even the Cuban Partagas, Romeo, etc.
I still smoke them occasionally...but pipe tobacco they are not.
I took a look at the Durango Cigar site and they look like something I definitely want to try..looks like a premium cigar made with some pipe tobacco...
wnghanglow....Who makes a Latakia cigar??? That I must try.....

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Hobie....thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they are sold out. But I will hunt them down!!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
http://gatlinburlier.com/index.cgi?token=111326476&action=search&dplate=flavorcigar.plt&base=flavorcigar.csv&query=all&rankedby=custom&page=none

Status
Not open for further replies.