Are There Any Blends You Won't Smoke In A Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Former Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've found that as I smoke my cobs, once I get down to about the last 1/4 of a bowl, the draft hole is so large that I end up pulling ash in from the bowl. Once any blend I'm smoking gets to this point, I'm just tossing it. I enjoy smoking all of my tobacco when I can and when it will smoke to the bottom of the chamber, but when this happens, I just know I'm better off knocking out the rest, watching that unsmoked tobacco just fly away. I don't bat an eye when it's something like PA or CH, or some 1Q, but if I smoke something I value a little more than those, I feel like I should smoke them in something other than a cob just so that I can finish my smoke on a happier note, and not one filled with a mouth full of ash. So, are there any blends that you will not smoke in a cob if you can help it?

Jul 12, 2011
I use Sav's balsa filters with all my cobs and they work great for controlling the draw and to help avoid pulling in tobacco and ash. I would smoke everything in them, no issues - some blends smoke even better in them. I just started smoking GLP's JackKnife plug in them, WOW...outstanding :worship:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Huh, I never thought those Sav filters would work in one. I may have to check that out. There's a nicer Savinelli pipe I've been planning to buy for some time now, so I think it comes with some. Doubt I'll use many in the Sav, but if they work on the cobs, then it could be a good idea to try. Haven't really smoked mine with a filter yet to know how it would smoke.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've often put a similar or "neutral" tobacco on the bottom of a cob and then filled the pipe with the desired tobacco to avoid the problem you just described while conserving my preferred blend.
I have, for example, smoked aged Escudo on a "foundation" of fresh Luxury Bullseye Flake. It doesn't really change things much at all since you are basically just sacrificing the tobacco on the bottom.
Some people also correct their cobs with pipe mud to make it line up better.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Haha Bill!
Part of the ritual if you will, for me is enjoying the smoke as slowly as I can, and admiring the craftsmanship of the pipe I'm using. That said, my hardwood cob gets used very little. But when it does, it gets whatever blend I feel like putting in there.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
It's all just tobacco to me, I smoke them all in cobs

Agree...Just picked up 2 more MM C&D Charles Towne Cobble and Country Gentleman Bent. I smoke the cobs on the tractor (cutting the grass) and on the patio reading the paper.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There are a few blends that taste better in a cob, to me anyway. Dunhill EMP for one. And some I don't like in a cob. Missourri Meerschaum Country Gentleman from Pipes and Cigars.com tastes better in briar. I switched to forever stems to avoid the ash.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I find that heavy English/Latakia blends taste disgusting in a cob. Those blends are briar-only for this guy. Strangely, an American English hybrid like Walnut, mostly burley with a smidge of Lat and maybe a bit of Va, is absolutely divine in a cob. ???

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Haven’t had the ash problem. Some blends smoke well in a cob. Bayou Morning is my number one cob blend. Dunhill three year Virginia to me is wasted in a cob, so is old Dublin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just don't smoke my cobs, so all of them!
But you might pick up a pack of tiny mesh disks that would solve your bits and pieces up the airway... In CA, I am told, licensed pot shops have them.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Pipe is just a tool to help you smoke. Whether it's briar or cob. I enjoy everything in both of them and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.