PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
There are serious collectors that only collect tobacco pipes made by Dunhill, Charatan, GBD, Peterson, as well as vintage Dr Grabow's for that matter, and to only name a few of a very long list for illustrative purposes only; but the question is: are there serious collectors that only collect tobacco pipes made by Savinelli? I understand that there are people who will seriously collect "anything", but what about Savinelli?
I understand that there is little question regarding the fine quality of Savinelli products, but have they spread their lines too much for interest beyond the "Savinelli Autograph"?
Even Pipedia has little to say on the topic.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
My answer would be yes as I have several in my collection. I like the shape and the grain on the ones I have. I do not smoke but collect pipes in memory of my dad who was a pipe smoker. My mom has emphysema now so I would not dare to smoke as it would be disrespectful.
I think Savinelli has been around since 1876 so the company has a long history. The company is still family owned also which is a plus.
Every person can have what they like in a collection regardless of what others make think or do. If you like pipes by Savinelli then add some to your collection or rotation.

Collectible is one thing, valuable is another. There may be people who collect the Savinelli factory-mades (There are even people who collect corncobs), but don't expect the price to stay high on them. Savinelli rolls thousands of pipes off their assembly line. Rarity and demand is what drives prices, and they have a few "lines" of pipes that seem to hold their prices. Their Autograph and anniversary pipes tend to get a fair return on their estates. However, if someone goes looking for a Hercules or Tortuga, they'll be able to find one with no problem.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I always hunt for Savinelli Milanos on ebay. They used to go really cheap and imo are underrated.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I *know* they are smokable, I own two that I really like: a Savinelli Punto Oro Rusticated Dublin (412 KS) non-filter pipe, and a Savinelli Venezia Chubby Smooth Billiard (101) 6mm filter pipe.
If I wanted to collect "classic" Sav's, but did not want to buy into the hype of the Autograph, what would I look for? They have like a hundred lines, most never even marked as Savinelli, like Bing's Favorite, Hercules, etc. :|

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think Cosmic is absolutely right. There are just SO many Savinellis out there, I doubt many beyond the Autograph line hold their value, and even the Autographs are not as collectible as they probably should be.
But the upside of this is that you can usually find estate Autographs for very little money; far less than what you'd expect to pay for estate Dunhills or Castellos.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
What makes a pipe collectible is the collector's desire and nothing more. If you see a line that you like, start collecting them. It's as simple as that. I collect Comoy's Guildhall pipes. They were inexpensive when new, and dirt cheap now, but I like them a lot, so they are collectible to me.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
The Estella line would be neat to have as a collection I think. I just picked up my first but haven't smoked it yet.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If you like the pipe, then it is a collector. Almost All pipes in my collection I purchased solely on looks. You never know how a pipe will smoke, until you smoke it. I dont think about the value of a pipe when i buy, because I will never sell them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everything's collectible if someone decides to collect them, as stated above. Pipes mostly are no investment.

There may be a few collectors of extra high-end pipes that make a tidy profit, but those people already have

money from some other source, I would surmise. As smokers, many Savenellis are priceless.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The highest grade Savinelli is the Giubileo D'Oro (Golden Jubilee), a limited production Savinelli. I restore the one below for a friend and I was very impressed with this grade Sav. The stems are vulcanite with no filter (I don't know about current production). This grade pipe is much smaller than the Autograph line, and as such, more appealing to me. One or two per month show up on Ebay and they usually run in the $150 range.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/savinelli-giubileo-doro-restore

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Estella's retain their estate value now. They usually go for 30 to 60 bucks and that is what they usually go for to normal sellers. I know Steve(Pipestud) has had some up the last couple of weeks but I didn't watch wat they went for because he reputation helps boost prices. Rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.