PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The owner over had Whole Leaf Tobacco made a comment that wrapper grade Burley is in extreme short supply. Wrapper grade Burley is what is used to wrap ropes because it stretches like saran wrap when moist. It'll be interesting to see if the GH ropes in particular go "out of stock" for a prolonged time at smokingpipes.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
There's a rope in Brazil that you can find in voodoo shops that I've been thinking about exporting. Maybe package it with a little talisman or something and plenty of warnings. It tastes like tar (albeit very interesting and complex tar) to me and I can only manage a quarter bowl before my mouth is watering and I feel like I'm going to puke, but some of you pipe smokers might love it.
A friend of mine mixes it with herbs to make it palatable, but it still destroys my senses. Truly powerful stuff. I'm sure it's not perique, but to me, it seems like it has the flavour profile of pure aged and oozing perique jacked up to about 100.
If anything survives the apocalypse, it's going to be that nasty coiled rope in the dusty corner of a Brazilian voodoo shop. Good on you if you can handle it... So fear not, that stuff is sticking around like a bad smell.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
unadoptedlamp:

Is that rope anything like these ? (At Belo Horizonte's Mercado Central)

yPR7Yym.png

xqfPpxs.jpg

The Arapiraca Castanho Super Forte is stronger than the Arapiraca Preto Super Forte. Neither taste like tar to me. These two ropes are more like plugs - dense & very firm, lending themselves to shaving thin slices or cubing, than to cutting into coins or rubbing-out. Very enjoyable, though potent smoke, best in a small pipe.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I believe that is Mapacho (Rustica) rope. I bought a pound of it a few years back. Potent stuff and in a different league than "regular" rope. I had found a cool video of that stuff being made but can no longer find it.

The ropes that I enjoy from GHc are dark Virginias or empire Virginias. Maybe a few are burleys, like maybe black twist and pigtail, but they are not limited to just US grown tobaccos. I’m not sure how far Wholeleaf sources their tobaccos, but GHc most likely has a much larger selection of countries to source their tobaccos from. That’s not to dis Wholeleaf, as I know nothing about their company, but Gawith has been around for a very long time. And, most of the twists like Cotton Boll are made by the farmers themself.
Maybe we should check into growing some burleys, Jitter. We might have an opportunity to make a few bucks.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Cossack- Yes, very similar, but not in a market. There's an actual voodoo store in a city called Diadema (really just a part of Sao Paulo now) and it is rather ragged. They have just one selection that looks a lot like "fundo forte" and it's potent. I bought some after a shipment from the U.S. was denied at the border for the second time and desperation sunk in. After that... I waited.
Belo Horizonte looks like they offer a fairly decent selection!
I think for rope lovers, it might be paradise. I just could not handle the stuff. And I thought I had a fairly high tolerance.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I think a new member form Belo Horizonte just joined, which might work out.
I will be in Brazil from around August onward, but I'm near Sao Paulo. If there is someone trustworthy and imports are allowed into the U.S., we could talk about getting a shipment sent out. I don't remember the costs, but I certainly don't remember it being expensive at all. The only real hitch is if they let it into the U.S. or not.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
About a year ago they were all over Ebay. This looks like the stuff I bought through Whole Leaf a few years ago. Very tasty.. very potent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAPACHO-UNCUT-ROLL-NICOTIANA-RUSTICA-TOBACCO-MORE-THAN-2-LBS/292162176646?hash=item4406390686:g:3I8AAOSw32lYv3fc
Maybe we should check into growing some burleys, Jitter. We might have an opportunity to make a few bucks.

Cosmic, I grow Burley every year but it is for my dip.

I have just now gotten confident with shopping for Flue cured seeds. Shopping for burley seeds would be like starting new. And, I have just been using regular old Virginia leaves for my outer wraps on my twists. I'm not sure what I would need to do to get them to be wrapper grade, nor am I sure why I would need them to be so pristine. I can understand cigar wrappers, as you can't have them leaking like a smokey ol VW Bug. But, I am very new to this.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Cosmic, I envy your ability to grow tobacco. I never took advantage when I had a big yard and gardens. I look forward to having my own house/yard again to try and grow tobacco. An apartment with vegetables in pots doesn't really lend itself tobacco right now. I admire all of you who have taken the initiative to grow. Keep us posted on your success and lessons learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.