PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like Petersons have become what Dunhills were in the 1950s, a world-known quality pipe --

and I'm aware of some of the current complaints -- that, while a bit pricey, are affordable for the

established wage earner or young salary man or woman. An indulgence but not part of an investment

portfolio. Many will recognize that you are smoking a Pete, while they won't recognize a Vuillard,

Chacom, or most artisan pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
Yep lol. I'm about to turn in for the night... early for me, but I had a rough day. But boy oh boy oh boy am I looking forward to coming home from work tomorrow to see that this topic has exploded :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not trying to irritate or just be provocative. It's more of a sociological or marketing comment than any

intended comparison between the pipes, their quality, etc. Dunhills do an excellent job of maintaining their

price point and their rep for quality. Someone on Forums said that they bought Dunhills for something like

twenty bucks in the 1950's, and at the time, they cost less than Kaywoodies upper lines. Let's say that was

like $200 today. The point is only that most people can't consider more than one new Dunhill in their budget,

and may not choose to do that. Peterson fills the role of a loved brand that reaches a wide customer base, and

you don't have to be a mojo piper, or brave the estate market to get one. Just an observation, not a slam at

Dunhill -- I'd love one. Just an observation on the roles brands choose to play. I think Dunhill is shrewd to

build and maintain their place near the upper reaches of pipedom. No disrespect to the brand at all.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From the standpoint of name recognition, I don't think that anyone has come close to Dunhill. Ask someone to give a brand name for a pipe, Dunhill will beat all comers, hands down. As for having a wide customer base, wouldn't Savinelli be on par?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
No, the Dunhill of that era were handmade, oil cured pipes. I'm sorry but Peterson is nothing like that today. In fact Peterson of the time was probably closer to that era Dunhill than the Peterson of today. Peterson has always been more bang for the buck though, I would wager. I had a handful of Dunhills when I was younger and commanded a larger chunk of my take home. I may have gotten lucky but they all smoked incredibly well (within reason of course) and the fit and finish were very nice. I have heard from several sources that would know more then me, that the briar quality isn't as consistent in the last few decades and they have started using machines and stop the oil curing. Peterson isn't making pipes like they did then either but are certainly priced like most factory pipes. I don't think Peterson is the name people think when you say luxury brand pipe these days though. The production parts are all based on what I have read on the interweb though, so my apologies if any of my info is not correct. My opinions I will take full credit/blame for though.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
No, the Dunhill of that era were handmade, oil cured pipes.
I'm certainly no expert on Dunhills but I've always had the impression that Dunhills have been machine made (but finished by hand) from their very beginning. I'm aware that they have produced "benchmande" quaints and freehands, as they still apparently do, but I believe that the bulk of their production was, and still is, machine-fraized.
As for the Dunhill's oil-curing process, I've read many conflicting histories and hearsay, I don't know what to believe in.
Wait, I thought Dunhill was todays Dunhill.
Heh, that was my first thought, as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It would be interesting to read a review of a Dunhill pipe that was written in the 60's. Do such documents exist anywhere? I assume they would be pipe club newsletters, trade industry publications, etc.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
In 1964 I bought large bent dunhill for $19 at la fonds . In the next few years I bought charlatans at $80 gbd sat $25 and bobs and other English pipes dunhill did not stand out. Then came the Danes
Vshel

I think that it's a matter of who the pipes are marketed to and how. Petes to me, seem like more of a working man's pipe by design and price point. Whereas Dunnies have been always marketed to the bankers and other white collar folks.
Back in my grandfather's day, a Dunhill would only be found in the richest of folk's collection, whereas Petes have always had more of a stocky brutish design that appealed to the "every man" sorts. They still have that look and are still marketed to that group.
What I remember of marketing 101, you set the price to your target audience. Petes are very moderately priced, not minimum wage cheap, but factory worker cheap. Whereas Dunnies can still get the suit and tie folks without taking too much of a dent from their budgets. IMO

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Just for reference, $50 in 1950 is approximately $500 in today's dollars ($493)

Status
Not open for further replies.