PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
These blends seem to be "out of stock" for the first time in quite a while. While there are a lot of new blends out,some of the recent releases, like some of the Sutliff's, seem to be disappearing. I think the NYC blends have quite a few fans; but do they have enough? Are there any other friends of these blends on the board? And are you worried?
Plugugly

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
As tobacco slowly, or not so slowly perhaps, is snuffed out and pushed into the dark recesses of polite society, it's an inescapable fact that our choices will be reduced. Tobacco isn't exactly a booming business with a bright future. It'll be reduced to a historical oddity , a quaint pastime for the eccentrics and the characters on the fringe. Smoke it while you got it. We are a vanishing breed, statistically speaking.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Not sure about that Nate - see ~26:30 where C and D's Chris Tarler talks of rising demand and production rates. HERE.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I never said there aren't companies that aren't doing well, but the smoking pool isn't growing as a percentage of population. I dare you to walk into a bank and try to get a loan for a startup tobacco company.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Hard to imagine that kind of growth without higher numbers in the market. I'm no economist though.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My guess, and it's a guess, is that fear of taxing and all out banning are driving the small number of determined smokers to buy more tobacco, causing an increase in sales, but not the number of unique smokers.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
AGREED! We're being wiped out by Big Anti-Tobacco. We should sue for damages to our pastime. Big Anti-Tobacco is wrecking everything!

briarfriar

Can't Leave
As a member of New York Pipe Club, it is my understanding that the current inventories of the four mixtures are being allowed to deplete in anticipation of changing the packaging to the "shoe polish" style of tin.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that is what's supposed to happen.
Jay

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The transition is an accurate statement. There's more involved, but that's fundamentally correct.
Russ

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Russ assures me that the blends will reappear at an undetermined date in the future, that's all I can say at this time. Obviously these blends are near and dear to my heart as club president and their reintroduction back on the market is of utmost importance to me. Jay is also partially correct but there is a bigger issue at the moment but one that I am assured, by Russ, will be worked out in due time.
Thanks for your interest in our club blends.
Lou

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
One of the blends is still in stock at P&C: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73174/nypc-bowling-green-virginia-cake/
Cool to hear they're getting revamped.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Warren said:

Well, at least a couple of folks got a bit of exercise jumping to a conclusion.
As pipe smokers, it is essential for us to do our part to remain healthy.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I find myself not jumping to conclusions as frequently as I did in my younger days.
Currently, at my age, I feel I am doing good if a steady crawl will get me up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.