Are Increasing Numbers of Pipe Smokers Good or Bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
With the decrease in cigarette smokers, and concomitant increase in pipe smokers, do you think this will be beneficial or harmful to the pipe smoking community?

I have seem some "tulip mania" behavior among pipe smokers when it comes to unobtainiums that tend to inflate prices, and know that there are small batch blends created from time to time. While more purchasing power is good for business, do you think that tobacco production facilities are designed for a large increase in demand?

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I feel like the whole mentality of "If they want it, they'll buy it for any price" is what'll screw the pipe smoking community. Since everyone seems to love Bengal slices, that company knows it can inflate their pricing and people will still buy. With more folk coming into the picture, they have even more people.
But on the contrary, if they inflate too high, they'll never sell. So I think the inflation-deflation scale will constantly be fighting one another. Just gotta wait until a company comes out and messes with everyone's pricings.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The more the merrier I say.
I haven't seen anyone smoke a pipe in person though. I'm curious where you are getting those numbers? Not counting, just curious.
I don't want the hipsterization of the hobby though

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I think it will be a good thing overall. Prices may go up, but maybe there will be more different blends come out and maybe some older or dying blends can come back. I can't speak for the production companies. Speaking from the ham radio perspective, I know some of the old timers like to rag on the new guys and say they don't need them, but if interest in any hobby goes away, products won't continue to be made. JMO

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are certainly some bad effects of an increased market, assuming there is one ongoing. Sometimes there's a bump or trend, and then it fades. But generally, I think a stronger market for pipes and pipe tobacco would bolster the availability of good products, some of which will be priced competitively, even if some of the most popular items will get way inflated in price. It's satisfying to be a part of an extreme fringe group that savors its individuality, but that is also accompanied by an increasing scarcity of everything. One remedy for the up trend is to not follow the crowd. Scout around for things you really like that aren't a craze and then don't talk them up too much online or in person. I've mentioned a few of my non-trendy favorites, but I try not to talk them up too much. I'm not a trend setter anyway, so I'm protected.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[There's an increase in good pipe smokers and a decrease in bad ones.]
Absolutely true. I don't think the number of pipe smokers is increasing but actually is decreasing. I remember as a kid in the 70' it was common to see in the street pipe smokers, now no more. But the ones remaining are more passionate and they really cultivate the hobby. This is why we are in a time with the best quality and variety of pipe tobacco available (well at least until FDA will kill everything) and the most creative pipe carvers. I think this is good to preserve pipe smoking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suspect if 100 people turn to pipes today, less than ten will be smoking them in three months. I doubt that will keep up with the normal death rate of pipe smokers. Smokers quitting cigarettes doesn't necessarily mean more pipe smokers. I'd need to see hard numbers before buying off on that supposition.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
While US federall numbers show a huge decrease in cigarette sales the increase in "pipe tobacco" has been enormous. The reason is the RYO products sold under the pipe tobacco umbrella to avoid higher taxes. Beware of statistics; they can be very misleading.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
While more purchasing power is good for business, do you think that tobacco production facilities are designed for a large increase in demand? - brightleaf
I don't think any of the blending houses are hoping for no increase in demand for their tobacco, or, pipe makers hoping for no increase in demand for their pipes. Or, B&M or online sellers hoping for no increase in demand for their P&T offerings. I am scratching my head here. What can possibly be a bad thing about having more pipe smokers join our hobby? Maybe I'm missing something - wouldn't be the first time - but I sure would love to see our hobby continue to grow larger and blossom, from both a personal and professional perspective.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I sure would love to see our hobby continue to grow larger and blossom, from both a personal and professional perspective.
Pipestud nailed it. A generous spirit would want others to enjoy the happiness that we do. And the more pipe smokers the more demand for pipes and tobacco. The more money to be made the better it is for current producers and the more startups.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Beware of statistics; they can be very misleading.
As they say, there's lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics! Haha! But regardless of the RYO inflating the numbers I think at the very least the overall trend may be less smoking of OTC tobacco and more smoking of higher quality or more specialized tobaccos. Even if the total number of actual pipe smokers is staying steady or slightly decreasing year over year but those smokers are now spending more on higher quality pipes and tobacco then it would still result in growth in those industries.
Also, as others have said, it's good for businesses in the pipe and tobacco industries. There may be some growing pains or price increases here or there but overall I think it's good for the average pipe smoker. In contrast, I doubt that a trend of less demand for pipes and tobacco would result in more quality, variety, or availability. As such I'll gladly celebrate a growing pipe tobacco community!

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
The data that spawned my claim for an increase in pipe smokers is Vokaa's recent thread here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/graph
It shows that the numbers of smokers is holding steady for most age groups, but there is an increasing trend in pipe smokers in the 18 to 25 age group. The number of pipe smokers in that age group has basically doubled over the last ten years.
I agree that an increase in demand would be beneficial for the pipe tobacco business. However, the problem from a consumer standpoint is that increased demand on a limited supply leads to higher costs. Investing in larger infrastructure doesn't happen overnight and is a gamble. With the FDA trying to increase their control of the business, overseas countries joining the campaign against tobacco, perhaps pressured from socialized medicine/insurance. If the business doesn't expand at the same rate as increased consumer demand then it will be even harder on the consumers,.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[It shows that the numbers of smokers is holding steady for most age groups, but there is an increasing trend in pipe smokers in the 18 to 25 age group. The number of pipe smokers in that age group has basically doubled over the last ten years.]
It has to be seen which kind of pipe are smoking the 18-25 yo age group answering the questionnaire. I haven't seen anybody in that age group smoking a "tobacco pipe" in ages. They likely means different pipes and probably they don't even know what is a tobacco pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
An increase in pipe smokers would be good for all involved. Basically it's more money for the tobacco farmers, meaning larger tobacco farms growing more tobacco, more tobacco being sold to blenders who make more of their blends, which means more tobacco for all of us. Esoterica, of course will still be selling for ridiculous amounts of money regardless. I will still not be buying Esoterica and will just be buying more blends that will likely be sold for less, because they're making so much more of it :mrgreen:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
It won't make much difference to most of us it seems. A lot of members here have more pipes and tobacco than they can ever use up. Even beginners like me can have what is 'necessary' in a few months. I can't imagine tobacco ever being 'popular' again, given the political situation with big brother everywhere.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy the hobby and the camaraderie here and elsewhere.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
do you think that tobacco production facilities are designed for a large increase in demand?
There are a lot more pipe smokers than those that are on forums, and most of them are habitual pipe smokers. The hobby aspect of pipe smoking is a rarity. Several countries produce pipe tobacco, and have been for decades. A handful of new recruits really isn't going to affect much.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hope for more pipe smokers. The vast majority of them find it through word of mouth, which is why I hang out at the local hip coffee shop and puff away at Prince Albert. Flyin' the flag!

Status
Not open for further replies.