PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Before you laugh yourself silly, they do come around when I'm bbq-ing. Especially smoked meats. Not sure if it's the smoke or the slow cooking dead flesh.
We have neighbors with horses so there are a fair few flies around, but they seem to come to me when I'm outside with my pipe.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Dude don't even get me started. There's nothing more aggravating than when you're trying to relax with a pipe, and flies keep landing on you. :evil:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Flies are pesky little buggers for sure and they drive me crazy when they land on you then you shoo them away and they land in a different spot and you shoo them away again and so on and so on and so on.....
I'm not sure if they are attracted to the smoke or if the just see you from the neighbours barn and yell out "Hey guys there's a human over there...let's all fly over there and bug the hell out of him!!!". :D

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have an orange stain that had a be land on my pipe mid smoke. Crazy as hell. Big bumble bee. I blew smoke through the pipe in panic and he flew away, still remember it.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
This thread reminds me of the flies in Australia. There was nothing funnier than watching someone visiting from overseas waving their hands in the air and going crazy when a single fly landed somewhere on them. They are really in for a work out if they keep that up and don't settle down and accept them. When you live there you get very good at directing a shot of breath to keep them out of your eyes and mouth, otherwise you just leave them alone unless you are about to enter a house when you try and shake them off.
Flies-in-the-outback.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Dude don't even get me started. There's nothing more aggravating than when you're trying to relax with a pipe, and flies keep landing on you.
Jerod, you might try bathing every now and then. :wink:
On a serious note, I always assumed pipe smoke would keep flies away rather than attract them. I guess it just depends on the blend one is smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see some of the very sweet flavored blends carrying on the wind like a large cherry pie or vanilla custard. Latakia might stop them in flight, and a good dose of Perique I imagine dropping flies mid-flight. I suspect many species of flies have developed chemo-detectors that zero in on anything that resembles food in content, which probably includes some pipe blends. Unpleasant as they are sometimes, insects are elaborately designed/evolved to do all kinds of complicated sensory and food-getting activities. Their success is manifest in their vast numbers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now that's a clay pipe you can get your hands around!
Don't know if I am just grossed out or somewhat impressed by that man's living "style".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Serious question: Wouldn't the human body after a few months of no bathing be so rank as to repel flies? Certainly would repel other people, and maybe dogs.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Charles: flies love BBQs. It's not the smoke. It's the meat and the drippings.
Regarding the overall fly issue, it's likely the neighbors horses. I have 7 along with my other livestock and flies like horses. They peak in June/July and begin to dissipate by mid-August.
Flies don't actually like smoke all that much, and a good greenish bonfire near the grilling area will help keep them away.
If you've got a real problem, go for fly bags. Fly predators won't help since the flies are likely coming mainly from the manure next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.