Are cobs more forgiving or am I doing it all wrong?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliecob

Lurker
Mar 1, 2017
A not-so-brief-intro: I took up pipe smoking a couple of years ago hoping to kick the filthy habit of cigarette smoking. I decided to go all-in at that time, and purchased several hundreds of dollars' worth of pipes without regard to tobacco, thinking all tobacco was pretty much the same and the pipes were what made the difference. I'm not sure why I could justify spending $200 on a pipe but not $20 on a tin of decent tobac back then, but I promptly set the pipe aside and sold several of the more expensive pipes I had acquired.
I honestly loathed nearly every minute of pipe smoking back then. Captain Black made me nauseated with every sip, and PA was only slightly less offensive. As a last resort, I decided to buy an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman at a local smoke shop and it changed my life. I found the MM and PA duo to be sublime. However, I lost the pipe in the woods one day and went back to cigarettes due to convenience and ignorance.
Fast forward a couple of years and I have finally gotten back into pipe smoking in earnest; again to help kick the cig habit and, now, out of sheer enjoyment. While I still smoke PA regularly, I have taken the time to visit a true tobacconist an hour away and have purchased several tins of real tobacco (both there and online) that have helped me more appreciate the nuances of various blends and flavors. I have found that I cannot smoke aros, cavendish still doesn't suit my palette, burley is my standard smoke, latakia is growing on me, and Virginia and English blends are slowly making their way into my rotation. My current favorites are PA, 1Q, and Frog Morton's Cellar. I also have some Gawith Squadron Leader, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap, and myriad samplers of various blends and types. That being said, on to my question...
Having tried various briar, meerschaum, and cob pipes, I find I have trouble smoking anything other than cobs. With pipes more expensive than cobs by orders of magnitude I frequently get gurgling, have to relight MANY times in the course of a bowl, and don't enjoy the taste as much.
Other than my MMs (x14), I have a few Petersons, Comoys, Savinellis, and some freehand briars that are all estate pipes. My hypotheses include the following:
1.) I screwed up the cleaning process of these pipes (all draw well, return a clean pipe cleaner dipped in grain alcohol, and smell fine)
2.) I am becoming a victim of confirmation bias
3.) I'm practicing the art of smoking a pipe all wrong.
I know the only thing that matters is enjoying the smoke, but I feel I am missing out on a huge part of the experience by finding myself focusing solely on cob smoking.
What am I doing wrong with briars? I want a Dunhill, and Canadians appeal to me, but I am hesitant to spend money on pipes that I feel I won't enjoy as much as my reliable $10 cobs.
As a country boy, I am comfortable smoking a cob around a pick-up while talking about the weather and the price of gas. As a scholar and an archaeologist, I have no qualms about discussing things of import with erudite colleagues cob-in-mouth, but I would feel more comfortable if I knew what I'm doing wrong with the briars so I could, at least on occasion, employ a fancy-pants pipe.
Thanks for any help!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have found that I cannot smoke aros, cavendish still doesn't suit my palette
My current favorites are PA, 1Q, and Frog Morton's Cellar
You're smoking the number one aro, 1Q, and that would be cavendish as well :puffy: As stated above, slow down and enjoy it, perhaps dry your tobacco a bit before packing and small sips. Relights don't matter. It can take time to develop your taste, so relax and enjoy. Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Briars and cobs tend to smoke differently. You may just have gotten used to the way you have to pack and draw on a pipe with an open draw. Briars usually have a tighter airway through the shank and stem, and so have to be packed and drawn on differently. Or, you just may prefer PA in a cob.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I made a complete hash of it to start with too. I think cobs are great for learning with, because if you screw them up, you're not out too much money.
It sounds like you're battling the usual newcomer obstacles, tobacco too dry, maybe not packed too well, and trying to force the pipe to smoke with sheer brute force. Try intentionally drying the tobacco "too long" (when you think it's ready, leave it another hour), then when you pack it use a tamper with as much force as you'd use when writing with a ball point pen (when you get the feel, you won't need the tamper for packing). Smoke the bowl as slowly as possible, so it's right on the verge of going out, and only gently waft a flame over it after it has gone out. Once you're underway, use a real featherlight touch with the tamp, so the ash moves, but not the tobacco beneath.
I'm not saying these will cure all your ills, but hopefully this will give you a different and better result. From then, start varying packing lighter and firmer and pay attention to what changes. Same again with the dryness of the tobacco, and your smoking rate. Try to only vary one thing at once though, and take time to understand what changed.
I would also suggest sticking with one pipe and one blend till you feel comfortable and competent, that way you're minimising the variables. In time, you'll stop trying to make it happen, and learn to simply let it happen.
My Country Gentleman cob was my learning tool. Though still smokeable, it has s couple of decent craters in the side wall from me trying to force it to smoke. One you get the knack, you might find those other tobaccos perform a lot differently for you, and are a lot more pleasant than they were before?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
ccob, I don't have time to read these long, long intros but I would guess that you are just overthinking and over-complicating the whole matter. Yes, cobs can be more forgiving.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree, Toobfreak. This forum is serious business, not some damned frivolous time-waster. :rofl:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"As a scholar..."
As a scholar you should know the difference twixt palate and "still doesn't suit my palette."
Right, that out of the way, I wonder if you are smoking tobacco that is perhaps too moist? Your gurgling issue certainly points to this as being a possible culprit. Try drying your tobacco a little more than you would normally think acceptable, it certainly worked for me in my early days.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I just noticed that early in my second paragraph I suffered a brain fart and typed "tobacco too dry" - which should of course read tobacco too wet. Apologies for my ineptitude.

charliecob

Lurker
Mar 1, 2017
My apologies for the verbose introduction...I tend to type (and talk) a bit too much when enjoying a cold beverage. And thank you for bringing that error to my attention, Jay. I bored myself with how lengthy that post became, so I didn't bother proofing before posting.
Thank you all for the kind words and great advice. I have noticed some gunk in the briars on occasion even after drying the tobacco (obviously, not for a sufficient amount of time), but I've not experienced it with the cobs using the same baccy (even without drying prior to smoking). Anyway, I apparently still have a lot to learn, which is a good thing. I look forward to the process of continuing to learn how to further enjoy this hobby with the help of the great members here.
I believe I'll allow my briars to rest until I feel a bit more confident in my drying, packing, and smoking abilities! Time to get back to my "research"... :)

charliecob

Lurker
Mar 1, 2017
And Davet, the information you provided was invaluable. I knew some of the blends I mentioned contain cavendish, but it's usually not that noticeable (to me) so I actually enjoy the occasional hint of cavendish during the course of a bowl. Furthermore, I completely misunderstood what an "aromatic" is. I assumed aromatics were elaborate/fruity blends with thick casings or flavorings such as vanilla, cherry, etc. Thank you for steering me in the right direction and helping me to rethink future purchases that I may have forgone due to the "aromatic" categorization.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"And thank you for bringing that error to my attention, Jay."
No worries Charlie, it's a common enough mistake to be found on this forum unfortunately. The other one is 'bowels' for bowls which I'm sure you can imagine can make for humorous reading as..."I cleaned my bowels out with pipecleaners and tissue..."
I have come to realise that such howlers are what make this forum what it is :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Experiment...

It takes some time and a little "work", but with all the suggestions above and reading other Forum threads about pipers' experiences you will come to a time when you get comfortable.

One day, you'll set a lit pipe down, forget about it for several minutes, and pick it to find it is still going!

It will just be the right combination of pipe, tobacco, drying, packing, smoking, etc.

Knowledge is information plus experience.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Knowledge is information plus experience."
Very true Snowy. Plus of course the more experience the more knowledge gained...it takes time but it is time very well spent in my eye. We have all been there, just keep at it and it will come to you.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't over-think it. If you prefer the cobs, smoke those. Keep your briars in the drawer, and once or twice a year, try a bowl in one of those and see how it goes. One day it might occur to you, hey, this isn't bad. But until then, if the cobs are pleasing enjoy those. It's not a problem.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mister CharlieCob:welcome to forum,I'd think in the nearest future you will put those your great briars in daily use otherwise it'll be too bad especially when taken into consideration the number of $ spent on them, try 'em out with only half bolws and remember tobacco airing+and after each smoke pipe cleaner -this might help too))

then> I just saw an interesting fresh Youtube video by Muttchop piper, I think you nmight find it interesting because the subject was about the new pipers and corn cob pipes.Thank You for your time, and Be well my friend, Paul

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...and yes, MM cobs, and Old Dominion cobs, are more forgiving, hence great first pipes and always fine smokers. If I had a rack of mostly $1K pipes, I'd still want a handful of cobs for that special pleasure.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Don't over-think it. If you prefer the cobs, smoke those. Keep your briars in the drawer, and once or twice a year, try a bowl in one of those and see how it goes. One day it might occur to you, hey, this isn't bad. But until then, if the cobs are pleasing enjoy those. It's not a problem.

Bingo!
If you can accept, even get to love, the "provincial" look of a cob (I for one really dig their humble dignity), I think a cob is a wise choice in general anyone wanting to refine pipe smoking technique.
And always, always, if you get yourself a pipe or tobacco you don't get on with right off the bat, put them away and try them out again after the season changes and your technique has developed. This is a point worth redundancy ... :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I'm just a contrarian but I've always found a cob a good choice when dressed up. It's like, all due respect to this fine affair and these gracious people, I believe I'll have a little smoke from my corn cob pipe just now. Likewise with a ebony dress pipe when I'm in overalls. A little counterpoint is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.