PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Keeping in mind that this is a Pipe and Pipe tobacco Forum i will try not to swerve of that topic.
So Unfortunately i am still a cigarette smoker. I bought a pack of Du Maurier (Canadian Smokes) and upon opening it i saw this.
891352_638890796202137_1293354321_a.jpg

I am not sure what they call it but ill just use street terms we call them Hollow Point Filters. They clam that the extra space in the filter would provide a better taste.
And you know what i agree for the most part they do taste more like a tobacco cigarette although most people don't agree but i chalk that up to people who just don't know tobacco only vitamin N.
So the point of these whole thread is i cant help but think that it must have been a pipe smoker that came up with this idea. The extra chamber in the filter reminds me of a pipe draft hole or one of those dual chambered pipes.
Anyway just speaking me mind its a slow morning at work to day so i may be sounding a little :crazy:

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
necron99 - Thats a pic i borrowed from the Net so ya i think that guy got Ripped off lol
bulletsnbriars - They have types of these around the world Parliaments have whats called a recessed filter but this is the first of its kind here in Canada.
I think this is there way to try to get a new generation of smokers. But asides from that its still incomparable when it comes to a pipe and your favorite tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I must say that is pretty weird. Cigarette companies are always coming up with new ideas. I believe it was Kent that thought that using asbestos in the filters back in the 1950s was a great marketing idea! I believe they had 'corked tipped' cigarettes in the 1920s so the cigarette didn't stick to your lips and De Reszke cigarettes boasted an ivory tip similar in vain to the corked tip idea but with a cheaper waxed paper. The Russian had their fabled 4 ' cardboard tube cigarettes with half an inch of tobacco on top so the merchants of death always have new ways of selling coffin nails. Personally I liked Woodbines and roll your own cigarettes when I was younger but I still preferred my pipe over everything else.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Back in the mid 60's I used to smoke Paxton's which came in a plastic box rather than paper. As I recall they also had a recessed tip that had somewhat of a plastic honeycomb structure. They didn't last long and went way of the Ford Edsel.
Paxton1.jpg

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Man... When I was about 3 years into cigarette smoking I'd buy players plain.... no filter.
When I wasn't smoking that I was rolling drum tobacco.
How things have changed in Canada. Glad I quit.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Petes -- yep. Back in the early 80s. But seems to me my friend came back from Louvain Belgium with a couple packs of cigarettes. Same filters. Flat wide packs. Can't remember the name. Just thought it was cool to be smoking foreign cigarettes back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.