Are C&D Bulks Not As Good?

(45 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from newbroom
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just took a browse through SP's yesterday and added a whole bunch of bulk blends to my wish list that I wanted to try. I searched for tobaccos that were both medium to very strong in taste and strength. I was surprised to say that by only looking at the type of tobacco, strength, and taste as well as the occasional room note, that 90% of the tobaccos I added were from C&D. That got me thinking.

I see a lot of people talking about this GLP, G&H or Rattray's release and never actually see many people talk about C&D and their bulk availability. I see discussions on tinned varieties from time to time, but not much about their bulks. The main reason I'm getting into this is because, outside of a few other blends I really like, I'm going to start trialing my way through 1 ounce samplers of all the C&D products I added to my wish list yesterday, with the greatest intention of cellaring the ones I like best as a means of beating back the bug that drives me to search out the really good, yet very hard to get blends. I see no reason that a lot of the C&D blends can't be as good as some of the other hard to find products, and I think I'll be happier knowing that I can get my bulks any time I want instead of hanging on to the edge of my keyboard when something finally lands that I have been wanting.

So how about it? Does anyone think that the C&D blends are not as good as so many others that we beat one another to when drops land? Is it just a rarity or scarcity thing? Really just curious as to what others think. I do have to say, that G&H Rum Twist WAS mighty tasty.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
    Your strategy is a smart one.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Some folks say their tobacco is lower grade. I'm sure part of it is the fact that a good percentage of their catalog is aromatic and that's not usually the tasty stuff. Then there's the mold stuff they went through.

I don't know about all that but I can say that I have yet to find a C&D Virginia forward blend that I like. I'm not really a fan of American aromatics so half of their catalog is of no interest there. But my favorite English blends are GLP blends and I love Habana Daydream and Billy Budd.

All that to say that I don't dismiss them, but there's other blends out there that I prefer.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I think some of it is the thrill of the chase, absolutely.

But I own several pounds of C&D bulks, and am continuing to get more. The real deterrent for me, and probably for others as well, is that there's just such a huge offering from C&D (101 bulk blends at SP). This makes it hard to sample your way through the catalog. I smoked a lot of 1 oz samples of stuff before settling on basically four C&D blends that I really like and cellar deeply.

I'm willing to bet that if (heaven forbid) C&D ever became scarce like some other guys, within a few years people would be waxing rhapsodic about Old Joe Krantz the way they do about Balkan Sobranie and Penzance now.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know about all that but I can say that I have yet to find a C&D Virginia forward blend that I like.

Okay, so I guess to check a few boxes, have you tried any of the following and what say you about them:

Bayou Morning
    Derringer
    Oriental Silk
    Exclusive
    Orion's Arrow
    Yorktown

Those all look like pretty interesting VA blends that I have added to my list.

I think some of it is the thrill of the chase, absolutely.

But I own several pounds of C&D bulks, and am continuing to get more. The real deterrent for me, and probably for others as well, is that there's just such a huge offering from C&D (101 bulk blends at SP). This makes it hard to sample your way through the catalog. I smoked a lot of 1 oz samples of stuff before settling on basically four C&D blends that I really like and cellar deeply.

I'm willing to bet that if (heaven forbid) C&D ever became scarce like some other guys, within a few years people would be waxing rhapsodic about Old Joe Krantz the way they do about Balkan Sobranie and Penzance now.

That's exactly what I mean, Hap. And yeah, they have a lot to offer, but I'm going to enjoy going through a lot of them to find what I want and think will cellar well and something I can buy and enjoy smoking on should the apocalypse rain down on us one day. Then, I can pick up those rare birds once in a while when they hit knowing I'm comfortable in my cellar with or without it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke mostly C&D burley, the strong stuff. I've always bought the C&D bulks and have been pleased. I love Haunted Bookshop and have bought it in bulk for many years. Back in August I bought an 8oz tin because I read on the forums that the C&D tins are better then the bulk. Their right, I enjoyed the tin better then the bulk. It wasn't as harsh from the tin. I'm now curious and when I have to reorder some of my C&D bulks I'll reorder the tins. I'm curious to see if others have had the same experience.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be happier knowing that I can get my bulks any time I want instead of hanging on to the edge of my keyboard when something finally lands that I have wanting.

Yes^^^ For sure.

I got caught up yesterday and ordered a bunch of Rattray, Wessex and even a couple of tins of Esoterica so I know exactly what your talking about. Still being new, I'm obsessed with trying everything I can so my cellar is 100 miles wide and 1 inch deep.

I understand the draw towards hard to get, top tier quality blends but the aggravation is not worth it. I've never had anything bad (to me) from G.L. Pease or C&D so I'm thinking about concentrating on those easier to get blends myself. I'm going to start with a tin each of G.L. Pease, smoke through the whole tin before I decide and hopefully nail down 4 or 5 favorites so I can start adding depth to my cellar. Then, like you, I'll start the C&D tour, tins and bulks.

ODF and Quiet Nights firmly in place on my favorites and going deep on those already.

Of course, I'll continue to purchase the premium blends too if I'm in the right place at the right time and at the right prices. Not sure of the "gotta have it" mentality and I definitely feel myself falling victim and have to make a conscious effort to back off. Saw somebody recently paid $140 for 8 oz. bag of Penzance... F that. Maybe I'll be rich in my next life.

Keep us posted CCW. Be interested to hear your results.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love burley and C&D blends some of my favorites. Two of my favorites from them come in bulk so that is a fortunate aspect as well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D blends were discussed more when I first joined here. Mostly, the raucous was over their Virginias and "why do they suck so bad?" Now, I think when we know the guys blending it and selling it are as actively watching the forum as they have been doing these last few years, we aren't as quick to take aim and fire.
    We did have a few forum members where constantly singing the praises of C&D's burley blends, which are remarkable. I am not sure anyone does burleys as well as they. But, then these guys got themselves banned, ha ha.

But, after taking a break from really good Virginias cough cough:: McClellands ::cough cough and getting into curing my own Virginias, I have a healthier respect for C&Ds Virginias. But, I'll have to admit, knowing that the company is watching the forum, makes me feel less inclined to say anything about them publicly. They are good peoples, and it just feels rude. Plus, the way they handled the mold issues a while back weirded me out.

Like I won't discuss anything about smokingpipes, knowing they have eyes on everything we do. P&C seems different. Russ, having met him several times, and truly knowing that he makes some of the best blends and is a super great guy, able to be humble and truly nice, makes it easier to talk about.

But, I think that one of the main reasons that people get put off by C&D blends is that, for all of the bolster and bullshit concerning preferring less casings and additive crap, these self-same morons don't actually like tobaccos with less of that crap. It is a better tobacco product left virtually free of additives and casing on most of their blends. It does take some getting used to, but all in all, I think it is just that outside of the casings and additive free bolstering that guys do, they wouldn't realize quality and additive free tobaccos from a hole in the ground. They can go on smoking their over processed chemical laden blends, telling themselves that they are smoking pure tobacco, which is ludicrous. Then, when they taste a C&D pure tobacco or a D&R blend, they are like... tastes like cigarettes or dry, or blah blah blah...

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the things that I really appreciate about C&D is that they aren't afraid of strength in flavor and nicotine. I have yet to understand why some of the US tobacco companies seem so timid on these aspects.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, I think that one of the main reasons that people get put off by C&D blends is that, for all of the bolster and bullshit concerning preferring less casings and additive crap, these self-same morons don't actually like tobaccos with less of that crap. It is a better tobacco product left virtually free of additives and casing on most of their blends. It does take some getting used to, but all in all, I think it is just that outside of the casings and additive free bolstering that guys do, they wouldn't realize quality and additive free tobaccos from a hole in the ground. They can go on smoking their over processed chemical laden blends, telling themselves that they are smoking pure tobacco, which is ludicrous. Then, when they taste a C&D pure tobacco or a D&R blend, they are like... tastes like cigarettes or dry, or blah blah blah...

You hit the nail on the head for me. This is why I really have enjoyed the C&D blends. Their aromatics are not heavily cased or over topped with anything and for me, that's a plus. I enjoy tasting and smelling the aroma of the tobaccos used for the aromatic structure and not using toppings to the extreme to achieve this result. I have not tried any of their burley blends, but they're also on my list.

One of the things that I really appreciate about C&D is that they aren't afraid of strength in flavor and nicotine. I have yet to understand why some of the US tobacco companies seem so timid on these aspects.

I enjoy everything with more flavor, the stronger the better. It's the reason I prefer porters and stouts to pilsner beers. I like bold and flavorful things and like you also said, I like for them to be strong. Not overpowering, but I want to know I'm smoking something with a little kick. I mean, Carter Hall is a good smoke, but it doesn't have the same punch like many of the other burley forward blends like I've seen in C&D's blends.

All of this is reason enough for me to stick with them and give a lot of their blends a good, solid shot at being a part of my cellar. Also, they're not really expensive and have the availability for me to buy it when I want instead of having to search high and low or wait forever for it to hit the market.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Matt(CCW), I have C&D samples from the Chicago Pipe show I'll send you if you want them. PM me if you're interested.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand the draw towards hard to get, top tier quality blends but the aggravation is not worth it. I've never had anything bad (to me) from G.L. Pease or C&D so I'm thinking about concentrating on those easier to get blends myself. I'm going to start with a tin each of G.L. Pease, smoke through the whole tin before I decide and hopefully nail down 4 or 5 favorites so I can start adding depth to my cellar. Then, like you, I'll start the C&D tour, tins and bulks.

Yep, exactly! I mean, once I have my favorites safely in hand and stored, I will still seek out the other really good and hard to get tobaccos, but they won't likely be things I cellar. Just things I would want for a change up, or to smoke up once I get. Doubt I'll worry too much in the future for any Esoterica blends. I mean, they're nice, but for all the aggravation it takes to get it, it's just not worth it in my opinion. $140 for Esoterica is not worth it to me, but for others I'm sure it is. Just my take.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I've found what (I believe it was Russ) said about bulk vs. tins to be true: tins are better for the first week or so after opening them, but then they "degrade" (for lack of a better term) to the level of bulks. Probably just the result of exposure to air. That said, I find bulks to be perfectly satisfactory, and I buy them over tins when bulk is available. It usually takes me at least a month to smoke a tin because I more around a lot among the blends I smoke, so the small window of excellence is not really worth the premium price to me. The "degradation" after the tin is open for a week or so is generally just a mellowing of the flavor characteristics anyhow. It's not like the tobacco changes drastically.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the larger question is if bulks in general hold up to tinned. While bulk is attractive as economical, as the blender saves packaging costs, tobacco does lose both moisture and volatile essence in this packaging, or at least that's what the big guys claim. Myself, I never met a volatile essence. Now when I was young in the addiction, aging was very much discussed, and through what I learned and my reasoning I became of the opinion that anaerobic aging was best. But a decade later I question whether I would taste the difference. Probably not. So if bulk packaging does lessen tobacco quality, I also doubt I would find a difference, and the tobacco that I smoked the most was bulk, and in this I had no complaint.

But I thin there is a difference between C&D bulk and Pease canisters that goes beyond packaging. Frankly, I think C&D is willing to release tobaccos with nowhere near the level of sophistication as Pease's tobaccos.; he sweats the details. To me his 8 oz canisters were always the best buy, combining a price break along with high quality. But could I taste the difference? No.

So if I were buying tobacco today I would buy C&D bulk.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

+1 Salt. I'm instantly leery of people with a vested interest telling me I'm better off paying a premium on something that should theoretically be near identical.

My main reason for buying tins is that some blends I like don't come in bulk, some give me pleasure (utility) in opening the tin (like Mac Baren flakes), and some I expect to send to other people or possibly sell at some point. Otherwise, I'm a bulk guy, and my cellar is probably two-thirds bulk to one-third tinned.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My main reason for buying tins is that some blends I like don't come in bulk, some give me pleasure (utility) in opening the tin (like Mac Baren flakes), and some I expect to send to other people or possibly sell at some point. Otherwise, I'm a bulk guy, and my cellar is probably two-thirds bulk to one-third tinned.

I agree with you on the fact that some don't come as bulk. I love Black Frigate, but it doesn't come in bulk, at least not anymore. So for something I truly enjoy and can't get in a bulk format, I'm down for buying the tins. That is to say I still have a limit to how much I am willing to spend on a tin. A C&D tin is mostly what? $10 on average from SP's? So those I could see buying easily and more of than say, $20 or $30 tins and feel good about it. Although a tin here or there in a higher price point is not out of the question, it just won't be cellared deep. The packaging is where it gets you.

You've made me also think about how these tobaccos are stored in the long term from our chosen shop. How does SP's store the bulk products they have on hand? If we buy a tin of say Bayou Morning and a pound in bulk, were they both delivered to SP's warehouse at the same time? Hrmm, this could be another topic entirely on it's own.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we buy a tin of say Bayou Morning and a pound in bulk, were they both delivered to SP's warehouse at the same time?

What does it matter? What about the years that tobacco set bone dry in a barn before it got to C&D?

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What does it matter? What about the years that tobacco set bone dry in a barn before it got to C&D?

This is very true. So basically any idea behind "freshness" is pretty much a moot point. If this is the case, then it doesn't seem to me that there really isn't much of a difference between the tinned versus bulk at all.

Some people I have seen talk about the tobacco being too dry once opened on a tin once in a while, but unless you really like smoking moist tobacco, that doesn't seem like a problem to me. I dry mine to almost crispy anyways (and sometimes accidentally beyond) so it doesn't seem like that would pose an issue for me. Does the tobacco really lose anything by being dried that long?

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Haven't as yet smoked very many of the C&D blends, but of them, the only one I've reordered (twice) is C&D Dark Chocolate, which I smoke in my second-oldest meerschaum.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does the tobacco really lose anything by being dried that long?

No, water being absent from tobacco doesn't hurt anything, but when it comes to drying down past losing essential oils of the leaf, then it starts to become tasteless. But, what causes tobaccos to lose these oils is more abstract. It's not just drying. A tobacco can be hydrated, but still lose oils.
    99% of what guys think concerning dryness and staleness of their tobaccos is mostly psychological.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep buying tins and bulk of the same blends, and while they definitely can seem different, I find no consistent better or worse between them, not so much that one can choose to buy a tin or bulk of any blend they have not tried both, in my opinion. YMMV.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I understand it baled tobacco is in stasis, and thus loses little or nothing.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Baled tobaccos have to be stacked and restacked to rotate the middle to the inside to keep the fermenting even, usually weekly. But, I am not even talking about stacked tobaccos. Tobacco will hang in the barn through two sweats, which is yearly, and even then, sometimes the crop in more Northern areas will bury the crop if the prices aren't adventageous for that year. And, further South, they will just leave it in the barn.

Nice try though, Salted.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've recently tried and been smoking a number of C&D Blends, kind of a second chance. Glad I did. Some of their stuff just isn't for me. I've tried Billy Budd a few times and had to check to make sure someone hadn't switched it with some grass clippings from my lawn. However, lots of people seem to like it.

I am really enjoying (and will buy quite a bit more) of Opening Night, Redburn, Burley Flake #4 & #5. I like Black Frigate and Pirate Kake, need to smoke more to see if they warrant buying more. They're very good but Black Frigate for example competes with Westminster, Abingdon, Quiet Nights and several other superb blends.

As far as C&D Bulks go, if you like VA, Yorktown is a real find. That's an incredible bargain for the quality and flavor of that blend. C&D seems to have taken their own path with how they blend, case, top, etc. and the dryness level they ship with. It may take some getting used to but it would be a shame to write them off.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

+1 on Opening Night and Yorktown. Unless those of you reading this are planning to buy so much that it's hard for me to obtain. In which case, it's terrible.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes, so many I haven't tried. Never realized just how big this list is.

Yorktown is definitely on my list. Right now I'm just putting down stuff I know I can get in bulk, but I'll likely throw in a tin of this or that in which I can't get in bulk, like the Opening Night. Redburn is something I really want to try as well. So many good tobaccos to try.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

More than half of my cellar is C&D bulk.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Matt, I know you like Maltese Falcon. Have you tried GLP Chelsea Morning? Lots of similarities, both superb.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have not tried that one yet. I've heard a lot of people talk about it and like it, so I'm going to have to give it a shot too.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Okay, so I guess to check a few boxes, have you tried any of the following and what say you about them:

Bayou Morning
    Derringer
    Oriental Silk
    Exclusive
    Orion's Arrow
    Yorktown

Those all look like pretty interesting VA blends that I have added to my list.

To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad or I hate their Virginia forward blends, I'm just saying they're not something I like. From this list here, I've tried Oriental Silk and Bayou Morning. They were both okay to me, but nothing I would order again. I've tried a few GLP blends that were Va forward and wasn't really a fan of those either, and GLP is my favorite blender.

Matt, I know you like Maltese Falcon. Have you tried GLP Chelsea Morning? Lots of similarities, both superb.

Man, so good...

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see. Yeah, everyone has different tastes and that always makes a huge difference. Some guys can't stand one thing and love another, yet for someone else, it's the complete opposite. This is why it's so important to me to give anything a fair shake and give it a try. That's why I'm picking up a shit ton of 1 ounce bulks to give a try and see what I like and learn what I don't.

For far too long I've been all over the damn map. I start to go down one rabbit hole when out of no where "Rattray's just dropped a load!" or "Esoterica just landed!" knocks me off the road and I end up taking a detour. It's not been bad, mind you, but I need to structure myself a little more. Every time those one-off shipments hit, I never have enough dough to rack up 5 pounds of something I have never tried before simply because it possibly won't be back around for a while.

Hopefully this plan will pan out and I can focus on getting an actual cellar started finally.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

Back in August I bought an 8oz tin because I read on the forums that the C&D tins are better then the bulk. Their right, I enjoyed the tin better then the bulk. It wasn't as harsh from the tin.

I wonder if adding some age to the bulk would take away the harshness?

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I start to go down one rabbit hole when out of no where "Rattray's just dropped a load!" or "Esoterica just landed!" knocks me off the road and I end up taking a detour. It's not been bad, mind you, but I need to structure myself a little more. Every time those one-off shipments hit, I never have enough dough to rack up 5 pounds of something I have never tried before simply because it possibly won't be back around for a while.

Yeah, I've been guilty of this in the past, but more disciplined cellaring has made me a happier man. I've realized that I could be totally content if I had just a couple treasured (but not rare) blends. To that end, I'm cellaring deeply on blends I could smoke forever, and rarely adding a new tin on occasion. It felt very freeing to find that Rattray's was available and to buy a pound of Three Friars instead. Cornell and Diehl bulks are, to me, the perfect balance of quality and price.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no found a discernible difference. I would bet in a blind taste test, 90% or more could not consistently distinguish between the tin and the bulk. I have very, very few tins of stuff I can buy in bulk.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes aging will help with the bulk. C&D blends are known to be rather harsh when fresh and I've found that letting it sit in a jar for about 2 months helps with alleviating the harshness.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "degradation" after the tin is open for a week or so is generally just a mellowing of the flavor characteristics anyhow. It's not like the tobacco changes drastically.

I've noticed with several tinned blends, that a freshly opened tin can taste raw or green? I almost always enjoy a tinned blend more so after it's been opened for a few days/weeks. Certainly moisture level is affected but the taste does seem to mellow or even out considerably.

The big draw for me towards readily available bulk blends is the ability to try a one ounce sample, then when I go back to order more it's still in stock! These "drops" are frustrating because I panic and might be spending good money on something I don't like due to the fact they're usually gone in hours or even minutes. The one saving grace is I might be able to trade it off if I need to. At this point, I do rely heavily on reviews both here and TR but I have to filter through the bullshit and read between the lines. So far, so good. Another huge plus is that I'm finally finding my own preferences with more experience and C&D burleys are most certainly at the top of my list.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I see. Yeah, everyone has different tastes and that always makes a huge difference. Some guys can't stand one thing and love another, yet for someone else, it's the complete opposite. This is why it's so important to me to give anything a fair shake and give it a try. That's why I'm picking up a shit ton of 1 ounce bulks to give a try and see what I like and learn what I don't.

For far too long I've been all over the damn map. I start to go down one rabbit hole when out of no where "Rattray's just dropped a load!" or "Esoterica just landed!" knocks me off the road and I end up taking a detour. It's not been bad, mind you, but I need to structure myself a little more. Every time those one-off shipments hit, I never have enough dough to rack up 5 pounds of something I have never tried before simply because it possibly won't be back around for a while.

Hopefully this plan will pan out and I can focus on getting an actual cellar started finally.

I hear that. I try desperately to stay away from the HTF blends.

Also, I commend the approach of looking for high quality and value in a blend. I'm doing the same thing myself, but I'm finding myself not as fond of the GLP/C&D virginia blends. But I do have something like 5 pounds of LBF, and a pound plus each of Anni Kake and LNF. I just like those Virginias better than C&D. I've also got some Arango Balkan Supreme which IMO is an amazing blend out there especially for bulk. And PS Proper English is another one. I think my big C&D blends are going to be Habana Daydream and Billy Budd. I do love their cigar leaf blends.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D makes up most of my cellar, I'm a huge fan of the tins AND bulk. If I had to smoke C&D and Pease blends from here on out, I wouldn't be disappointed. I would miss Bengal Slices though, oh..and Condor

Some of my favorites that come in bulks are:

Mountain Camp
    Billy Budd
    Pegasus
    Morley's Best
    Orion's Arrow
    Oriental Silk
    Poplar Camp
    Crooner
    Epiphany
    Old Joe Krantz(the original) I haven't had any of the other color label releases.

Tins:

5 O'Clock Shadow
    Mississippi Mud
    Star of the East Flake
    Exhausted Rooster

By far I have more bulk than tins in the C&D line. I haven't made a comparison with tin versions vs. bulk but I dont have the time nor the desire to try to decide which is better, I'm ok with how things sit in my house.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't done any careful comparisons between C&D tinned and bulk, but over years I've been entirely satisfied with C&D bulk. My first experience with Bayou Night in the old days when blending was in Morganton NC, the blend seemed harsh, but the recent bulk I ordered was delicious and polished off quickly for a glacially slow smoker. For me, C&D is for burley what McClellands was to Virginia blends, the standard setter for creative excellence. C&D just has a way with burley leaf.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

C&D tobaccos are a hit or miss thing for me. I've got more luck with their tinned tobaccos than their bulk ones so far. Now that said Pirate Kake and Billy Budd bulk are really good.

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. bosmer

bosmer

Login to Send PM

My favorite C&D blend is Poplar Camp and that one ONLY comes in bulk. Folks have asked why there is no tinned version, implying that a tinned version would somehow be better?

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I really, really like C&D's bulk London Squire. Way more than I thought I would. In fact I think it might eclipse my great love for PS 17 and PS 306.

Non Serviam
    Posted 5 months ago #
  44. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan of their tobaccos, and since Bayou Morning is one of the blends you mentioned, I smoke that pretty much constantly and can't recommend it enough. I actually really like the "rough edges" or harshness in some of their blends, because like the OP, I really like strong potent flavors. I have never noticed a difference in the bulk v/s the tins, and I love the value of the bulk! And just to add to the list of great blends that everyone has mentioned, you should check out Big 'n' Burley, and a definite +1 to Bayou Night, which MSO mentioned.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  45. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to buy lots of C&D bulks. I was really enjoying what I felt was pure tobacco flavor, and I do like burley.
    Yorktown or their VA Flake are pretty nice VA's.
    Lately, my go to bulk VA is 3 Sails from D&R. It's a fantastic mixer, and great by itself. It requires a little untangling when mixing due to its fine shag cut.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar