Are Aromatics Cold Weather Comfort Food?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Colder weather and shorter daylight seems to have turned me to aromatics. Maybe they're comfort

food until the sun stays out a few minutes longer each day. I'm usually a non-aro guy, and lately

I've been reveling in various burleys and burley blends, non-aro, along with English, Va/Per, and

others. But suddenly, a little non-tobacco flavor in the bowl tastes especially good.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cooler weather, for me, brings about more Latakia and less straight Va's ... but no aro's.

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
I like aros in the in the winter when I smoke inside but I prefer the stronger English when I'm outside and its nice and cold. There is just something special about a warm campfire and a bowl of nightcap whens its cold as hell outside. Generally I prefer more straightforward burly blends for my everyday smoke.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
+1 cobguy,

I prefer latakia blends in cold weather more for some reason. But I also seem to gravitate towards warm flavored aros a little in the cool weather too.

Vermont Meat Candy, 1Q, Molto Dolce, Blackpool, stuff like that. Otherwise, bring on the Latakia Flake, EMP, Squadron Leader, Pembroke, and Penzance!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
With the approaching holiday season I could enjoy some aros. Been thinking about picking up a tin of Nutty Cut.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't know if I agree. I am not adverse to aromatics, in fact I wish I enjoyed them more. Who doesn't want those "gee your pipe smells wonderful" comments? I just find most aromatics, while ok for a few bowls, seem to lack the body, the "mouth feel" or something like that to keep me interested. My solution lately has been mixing McClelland Va. #25 into to a good quality aromatic. I had great success with McClelland Caramel Rush. I have a mix with Va #25 and Pipeworks & Wilke Vermont Maple marrying as well. Too early to tell yet because the moisture content is too high still. The mix with Caramel Rush is very satisfying, a "comfort smoke" if you wish. Naturally, it works well with an aromatic that comes in a 50 gram tin!
Anyway, I find Va #25 too much on it's own but it makes a fine mixer to add body IMHO. The tins I've used have been aged for a decade or longer. I don't know how it would react fresher.
Mike S.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Here in Canada - where we already have had some snow - I love a bowl of MD or Maple Street by the fireplace after supper.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't know about that, the stuff I smoke is not an aromatic although it does have a distinctive room note - no comments please guys as we all know what the majority think of the stuff. For cold weather I tend to veer towards brown twists topped off with my regular brand as I find some US twists or ropes (a) come unwound (b) play merry hell to try and get them to ignite. I have been experimenting with 2/3rd's Prince Albert and 1/3rd Condor mixture which just tastes of Condor to be perfectly frank with you. I tried mixing it with St Bruno and the result was vomit inducing but hey ho!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I smoke the same blends year round...a little bit of lat and a lotta bit of va/pers.
when winter comes, I just hunker down in the mancave and smoke more of it.

Oct 12, 2014
Not a big aromatic fan. That said I have one guilty pleasure that I always seem to have an open tin of laying around.. C&D Autumn Evening.
I really like the stuff :)

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I echo the sentiment that I have fallen under the spell of good Virginia/Periques, and like them year 'round.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I find aros to be a year round comfort smoke. But then I'm a dedicated aro smoker. 4th Gen 1957 & 1897, Lane 1Q, Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76. And a few Burley aro blends. Aros rule. :clap:

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I really dig Autumn Evening and Devil's Holiday when it's colder out. My Barling is perfect for them. I've never really thought about it as being comfort food, though. But enjoy your piping and the many aromatics that follow.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I just find most aromatics, while ok for a few bowls, seem to lack the body, the "mouth feel" or something like that to keep me interested.
I've found that although most aros sacrifice true tobacco flavor, I have smoked one aro that just has a light sweet taste consistent throughout the bowl, but enough tobacco taste to stay in rotation. However, I try to avoid aros that leave a bad aftertase and I think that's a true quality test for aros; a good tobacco should leave that tantilizing tobacco aftertaste that leaves you anticipating the next bowl. Besides the question is not "To aro or not to aro?", but more along the lines of "What am I in the mood for?"

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I tend to smoke the same stuff year round as well. However there is something about a warm bowl of Ennerdale that seems to be a real treat on a cold day. Yes, it's a different kind of aromatic, but very aromatic nonetheless :)

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I smoke aros only occastionally. And as the weather has gotten progressively cooler, I've smoked them even less. Mostly Latakias and full bodied Virginias and Burleys for me right now. I have to smoke outside, and you know I'm just getting a bit too old or soft to smoke very often outside in a Cleveland winter. Not sure how much I'll be smoking until March rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.