PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
There is a young up-and-coming carver whose work I quite like. He often posts pictures of pipes in progress on a well known social network. One particular pipe caught my eye, though in the picture it had yet to be stained and needed some final finishing.
I sent him a message and said, "Hi, I am interested in purchasing that pipe if it is for sale. If it is for sale flip me a pic when it is done."
He replies telling me what a wonderful pipe it is and how he thinks it is just beautiful.
I said "Awesome, can you send me a quick pic when you have a minute because I am really interested."
He replies and says (and I am paraphrasing here because there is a clear language barrier): "I don't know if that is possible. Taking pictures of the pipe would take me an entire evening. I think it probably makes more sense just to send it to smokingpipes along with the rest of the pipes I am working on."
So how does one respond to that? I felt like saying: "A whole evening? really? Uh, point your fucking phone at the thing and press the send button. I already told you I liked the shape and stem. I just want to make sure you didn't carve a gigantic testicle on the left side and then stain it aubergine. The worst I can say is no, I don't like it, and then you send it to smokingpipes along with all the other pipes which is what you say you are doing now anyway."
I didn't say that. I didn't know what to say to a man who won't take yes for an answer.
Peck out.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
That's odd for sure. But I guess if he's already selling them to / through smokingpipes he won't have to deal directly with customers, and while I'm sure you're not one like this, some can be a PITA.
Does smokingpipes purchase pipes prior to listing them, or is it more of a consignment thing?

Dec 24, 2012
I was told somewhere that smokingpipes gets around half the sale price. One prominent carver told me that he sends some there for advertising and doesn't make a lot from it because he loses half the sale price off the top.
Now, we aren't talking about a really expensive pipe here - probably around $500 or so based on what his pipes sell for on SP, but still I assume he would still do better with a private sale.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
IMO, I don't think he is too concerned about selling it asap.
Taking great pictures of pipes is very hard to do. Maybe he doesn't what to take pics that won't show the true essence of his work.
And no..... I don't think pipe carvers are any odder than any other professions who deal in the arts.
In saying that, it's my understanding that carvers take quite a price cut once they put it up for sale with a tobacco outlet. I would think he may have the possibility to get a greater return by selling to you than selling it off to a pipe shop. Dunno.
As a retired self employed guy who dealt with the public,I dislike dealing with the masses. One idiotic egghead can ruin your day, your week or your entire year. It's a big PITA. OTOH you can meet some great folks BUT it only takes a few pinheads to send you straight to the funny-farm.

Dec 24, 2012
I hear you man. I don't like dealing with my clients either, but I do, because they are keeping shoes on my kids and the power bill paid.

The creative personality is way more likely to have social quirks, which is what draws us to the solitary life of making things. I know that I am not a social butterfly at all, and I hate shows and places where I have to :::gulp::: talk to people face to face. My family is great at standing between my work and the public for me. However, I can snap a pic and text just fine. However, maybe some find texting too much also. I don't know.
But, aren't we all a little crazy? It just depends on whether we fall on the Dr Seuss or Charles Manson side of the crazy fence, ha ha.

May 31, 2012
Damn, that's some crazy shit fersure.
Chalk it up to bein' a youngin I reckon,

I dunno,

you're right tho, it is rather odd.
But I think all his pipes sold out on SPC so he's probably really stoked.
The whole artist/patron thing has always had certain tensions, in some respects more than others.
I can understand pipemakers getting irritated dealing with nitpicky collectors in some cases, but overall it's a great symbiotic relationship and everything works out well for both parties concerned.
He missed a wonderful oppo to cultivate a relationship with an enthusiastic and dedicated collector of high caliber,

oh well.
Will you consider buying his pipe from SPC,

or has this interchange soured your feelings about his work?

8O

Dec 24, 2012
Will you consider buying his pipe from SPC,

or has this interchange soured your feelings about his work?
I don't know. I would probably lean in the direction of not buying one. If he didn't want to deal with me, I don't know why he just didn't say "sorry, that pipe is committed to SP." Even if that was a bit of a lie, I would have just moved on and not thought about it a moment more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I asked a pipe carver if he ever sold his pipes online, he said, if I did that, I'd spend all day taking

pictures. I translate this as, I can carve pipes or I can twiddle with technology, but I'm not the least inclined

to do both. I've bought five or six of this carver's pipes, and I enjoy not having the online pressure on his

inventory, so for me, this is good. He lives out in the country, and I don't think this is his major source of

income.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I don't know about Pipemakers, but I have noticed that craftsmen tend to make poor businessmen, God bless 'em. But then, businessmen tend to make poor craftsman.
Generally speaking, of course.....

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
No, in my experience it's artist at tend to be on weird side. I'm sure the artistic side of that pipemaker was responding to your email, and to him, photos taken is a long process.
When it comes to artists and their work, they tend to be a bit "over focused."
Not trying to offend anyone on the forums, I'm just sharing the experiences I've had.

Dec 24, 2012
Wayne, how long does it take to take an acceptable photo of a pipe? Wouldn't this all be standardized - you have a camera on a tripod with a lightbox and you have all the usual setting dialled in. Set the pipe down and press the big ass red button on the top of the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.