PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I always just buy the cheapest available, but their are many kinds. Are certain pipe cleaners better than others? Some are also advertised as all natural without dyes or whatnot, should I be concerned with buying the cheapest and them leaving something behind in my pipes? Or, is a pipe cleaner just a pipe cleaner?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I doubt that the brand matters as much as what you want from the pipe cleaner. There are standard, tapered, bristle and long. These are the most popular types. Don't spend more than you have to.

As a side note, I was surfing ebay earlier and I saw "vintage" pipe cleaners being offered. I can't believe that someone would go for them when the basic product has not changed in about 70 years. Oh well.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Not all pipe cleaners are created equal.
I remember having some Peterson brand cleaners years ago that were about as effective as a wet noodle in attempting to put them down a pipe. They would bend and kink even on the most open stems. Very annoying.
Comoy makes some rayon cleaners which supposedly leave less lint than the usual cotton cleaners. I have a package, but don't think they are any better than the cotton Long's.
I try to use the thickest cleaner that will fit down whichever pipe I'm smoking. Standard, thin (Falcon cleaners), thick, or tapered, whatever it takes.
I have tried "coil" pipe cleaners that you can cut off whatever length you want with pliers. A few of my pipes are longer than a standard 6-inch cleaner, so the coiled type comes in handy.
I have heard that some people actually wash and reuse pipe cleaners which I consider odd. :crazy: Pipe cleaners are the cheapest part of pipe smoking and I use them wantonly. Your pipe can't be too clean. :mrgreen:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm with Strongirish on this one. Longs are cheap, easy to pass through the most difficult of pipes, and absorbant. Best bang for my buck.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I buy three different types regular, tapered, and bristle.

There are other brands than those I use, but like Sigmund Freud once said...

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Dills are the most abundant around here, so i usually use them.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I buy Long's Regular and Brush because that's what they have at the local store.

They work on Peterson P-Lip if you work them in slow.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm with Lawrence on this one....I can find a use for the regular, regular bristled and tapered bristled depending on what i'm trying to do and the individual pipe.... :D

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I err. .. use Fuzzy Sticks. . . . They're -really- fuzzy though so I have to go through once before using them and again after with a wire bristle cleaner to first loosen any resin since the pipe cleaner can't, and second to pull out any lint that got left behind.
All things considered though I don't see doling out for the 'real' thing was any better when I did that, so meh.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I get the long white ones, they always come out black so I would say they absorb well. I get the long ones for when I smoke my churchwarden, I just snip them in half to clean any other pipe.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I use Longs for two reasons:

1. They are the most common & cheapest here

2. They're made here which may have something to do with the second part of #1...
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.