PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
I have been browsing at blowfish shapes lately and noticed they are pretty hefty in the cash department. Briarworks seems to be the most affordable and those start at about 330 bucks new. Is it the size of the block or the craftsmanship needed to carve such a shape? Any intel on these intriguing shapes would be much appreciated.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I wouldn't say so, I have blowfish pipes that cost me from $120 to much more. Blowfish pipes can have amazing grain patterns, both straight and birdseye. For those with amazing grain, prices will definitely be higher.
If you follow eBay, specifically pipestud, greatestate pipes, and treasurepipes; you will find much better deals. I recently sold a Todd Johnson Signature Briarworks blowfish unsmoked for $143 through one of those sellers (damn it). Greatestate pipes has Briarworks pipes every week, they always go for way less than retail.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
jayski, much of the pipe price comes down to carver. I have 3 blow fish pipes on my site right now. 1 is a sand blast, / nose warmer made by CA based carver Mark Stout. Nice smaller pipe, priced under $300.00. I also have 2 medium larger pipes from TX carver Bill Walther priced at just under $400.00 and the other under $500.00
The Briarworks offerings are very well priced as far as quality to end product.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The ideal blowfish comes from a straight grain block cut cross grain, with birdseye displayed on the sides of the pipe, and the overall shape is asymmetrical. Only certain blocks can be used. These are expensive. The shape can be carved from any block, but without some of those defining attributes, and can be less expensive.
One of mine from Bruce Weaver.
687_9734blowfish5-600x462.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ofafeather

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have looked at Blowfish for many years and they are growing on me. One thing I have noticed is that they seem to always be fairly heavy, 60 grams or more. Is that due to the fact a big block is required to get that shape?
chasing, yours is a beauty, how much does it weigh?

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I always thought this Clark Layton blowfish was a real looker
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/clark-layton/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=237638
I can't remember, but I think smokingpipes was asking around $550ish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasing, yours is a beauty, how much does it weigh?
3.2 ounces (90 grams)
Blowfish, the fugus especially are more of a sit down pipe, and not a clencher.
img_20180104_074557-337x600.jpg

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
The pictured pipes are some real beauties! The grain in embers is amazing and the cello, well the shape is a true work of art. The shape of a blowfish has been growing on me and only time will tell whether or not one gets added to the collection.

Reactions: ofafeather

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Stanwell will be bringing out a series called Revival, and they've selected a blowfish as one of the shapes they're bringing back. They should be available soon, and I would guess that they will be comparatively affordable.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I read down this thread I wondered why no factory pipe maker has taken up the blowfish shape. Then I got to Russ' post. There you go. As if I need another pipe, but I'll be intrigued to see the Stanwell blowfish, for sure.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
+1 for the creativity and beauty of that cello blowfish
Blowfish is not interesting shape that looks, to me, quite similar to certain species of goldfish, e.g.

p028vhbm.jpg

I was once considering to get a Tsuge Blowfish, which captures much of the essence of the blowfish shape (except for the goldfish tails):

002-099-4697_1.jpg

However, I seem to have already too many pipes and looking at Tsuge's pipe got me distracted to their other lines.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I think part of the reason that blowfishes can be more expensive is that they're usually asymmetrical so getting the balance right is tricky. A factory-made version will start with a well balanced model to work from, so it's easier to keep the copies balanced as well.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.