PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
Was there ever such a thing as an archetypal Danish Blend? And if so what was it?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome aboard marcel.
Here is a great link that may provide the answer to your question.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/orlik-golden-sliced-tobacco-review/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So many blends seem to have moved their production to Germany, it's hard to cite what's

Danish. Unlike pipes, I don't always connect which blends are from what countries. I was

pleased to notice that Nat Sherman 536 is blended in the U.S.A. It's among the most nuanced

blends around.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I was thinking in more historic terms. I know some companies produce a Danish Blend but I didn't know if there was some basis for that or if it was just marketing.
I asked the guys at The Danish Pipe Shop if they could name a prototypical Danish Blend and they said, "The Mac Baren Mixture, came on the market in 1952 so that would be our guess".

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
It sounds like the Danish guys are also just conjecturing what a prototypical Danish blend actually is.

To change the question, you see how difficult it becomes to answer. Like, what is the American blend? Is it drug store burleys like Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Some would say aromatics, and some would say straight Virginias. Even if you just relied on drug store blends, it is a mix of styles also.

Status
Not open for further replies.