Aquiring a new stem for my pipe (broken tenon)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Johs Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kefiren

Lurker
Dec 10, 2013
I'm relatively new to piping, and were very excited when I got my very first pipe.

Unfortunately, two days ago it suffered a blow, which caused the tenon to break, with one half stuck in the bowl and the other stuck in the mouthpiece.

I managed to get out the part of the tenon that got stuck in the bowl, and now find myself in need of a new mouthpiece.

However I'm not sure where to acquire a mouthpiece with a tenon like the one I previously had. Image of the pipestem

kefiren

Lurker
Dec 10, 2013
It was bought off Ebay, and of no known brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270893091205?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, it's one of the Ukrainian pipes. If you can get the broken tenon out, they should be able to send you a whole new stem. It isn't fitted to the pipe, as far as I can tell.
Be honest, tell them that you broke it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
A free replacement would be nice, but be careful you don't spend more money than it's worth trying to fix it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Norwood charges around $30 for a new stem. Better off investing that in a better pipe. I have not smoked one of those Ukranian pipes, but I suspect you can do a lot better for a bit more cash. Chalk it up to a lesson learned? Welcome btw, read up here before making your next pipe selection, we'll save you a lot of money and grief.

kefiren

Lurker
Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for all the great help. I will definitely check with more experienced buyers before buying a pipe again and do more thorough research on what I'm buying.

I'd rather look for something better, than fixing what I allready have.

Thanks again!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi Kefiren,
Ditto what ssjones said above. New stems will run you from $20 - $40 depending on which repair shop you use. That might be money better spent on a higher caliber pipe.
If you do decide to have stem work done, I've used Walker Pipe Repair and Mike does excellent work. There is generally a wait time (posted and available to look at on his website), but the quality of the job is fine.
http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/
-- Pat

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
that looks like a pipe from fashion pipes and they are pretty good pipes at least the ones i got from them are i am saying that it looks like one of theirs cause of the other items they have in there ebay page are the same fashion pipes is usually selling on etsy and you can always send him a picture of your pipe and ask if it is one of his tell him u got it off ebay and you happened to break the pipe i am sure u can get a new one for cheap if it is one of his and from my buying from him small items only cost about 3$ for shipping which is reasonable from were it is shipping.

yes after checking real quick the item is shipped from the same town which points to it being his work and the gentlemen who makes them from my experience is a really nice guy to his customers.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
If you have a local pipe & tobacco shop, you may want them to take a look at it. Some shops can do minor repairs.

I had a tenon break on an older Nording and I had my local shop fit it with another stem.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
If you can get a replacement stem for free, it might be worth it. There are plenty of pipes available for a bit more money that will give you a far better smoke. If money is an object, check out Missouri Meerschaum or Ole Dominion Pipes, both sponsors of this forum. A corn cob offers a first-rate smoke at a very affordable price. Even if money is no object, lots of smokers have cobs in their rotation.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Replacing a broken tenon is a $10 fix at any pipe shop. If they don't do it them selves they will send it out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.