PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Read several threads, but saw no definite answer on this, so I will ask a couple of questions about ball type jars.
I've bought 2 types of tobacco in pound quantity. A couple I've bought are 4 oz. The rest is either the 1.75 tin, which may be shred cut or flake (3 kinds).
What size would be the most practical to buy? Unfortunately, no Walmart here, and I think what I saw on their website is store pickup only. Not sure if there's a dollar store around either, so I was looking at a lever on set of glass jars from Amazon - 48 for about $70.
Would that be a good general size for all but the pounds? And what would be a good size for them, in order to leave enough air?
I might smoke 2-3 bowls/day at present, sometimes one.
Thanks for any feedback.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I use wide mouth eight ounce Kerr jars. If you buy a pound of tobacco it should fit into two jars. Make sure that you label your jars with name of tobacco and date jarred. I purchase my jars from Walmart since Target does not carry any canning jars. You may want to try your local general merchandise store for canning jars.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I usually use wide mouth quart sized jars or pint sized jars from Ball. For you I'd think the quart size
You can buy them online from Walmart for about $14 for 12 but I usually just buy mine from my local supermarket. You should be able to fit the pound in the quart sized or 2 of the pint sized. I've got a pound of Penzance right now sitting stuffed into a quart sized jar.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If you have a Goodwill in the area, start looking for jars there. They usually run about 30 cents each - be sure to get wide-mouth. Wash them well, and soak in purex water for at least a 1/2 hour. (Ratio: 1 part purex, 10 parts hot water.)
You can buy the lids and rings in the grocery store, usually in the baking isle, which doesn't make sense to me, but then no one asked me either.
I have a variety of 1/2 pints, full pints, and quarts. I use a P-touch labeller and mark the Brand, Name, and Date of each jar.
Good Luck!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I use quart size Ball jars for a half pound of tobacco. Pint size jars for a 100 gram tin, or 4 oz of tobacco.
One tip I will pass on, if you buy Classico Tomato sauce, it comes in an Atlas quart size jar. The Ball screw tops will fit the jar for cellaring tobacco. I wash them well, and remove the label. Presto, free storage jars.

Reactions: Kal

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The Quart-size for long term storage and the small ones for daily use. I seldom use a pouch except when I must carry a daily load when the small jars are not practical. However, that is seldom as my car is never far away. Plus, I have an office job and use jars in the office rather than a pouch. A day-pouch is fine when no other method will be practical, like when I am totally away from car, office or home, and need to be portable all day long. Then, it is one pipe and a one-day pouch. Seldom is that necessary but there are those days now and then.

The small jars are great for weekend mini-vacations. Then, I bring along my pipe brief-case pictured below.

click to enlarge

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I buy the Ball jars, they're available at Target. I buy the 16oz and the 8 oz jars. They're all widemouth and under $10 bucks. You can't go wrong with that price.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Bought myself a dozen 8 oz. Ball jars at a local hardware store. Never thought of trying there for "canning jars."
Thanks for the suggestion!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I get my jars from flea markets and yard sales. You can fin interesting jars in that eay.

Status
Not open for further replies.