Apple's War and Cigars (and All Tobacco Products)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yet Apple, one of the biggest companies in the world, claimed Where To Smoke was in violation of its policy. I fought—I fought damn hard—but my complaints fell on deaf ears. Look at the last email I received before the app was shut down for good on October 30:

“We continue to find that your app promotes the use of tobacco or nicotine-related paraphernalia, including but not limited to cigars, cigarettes, pipes, hookahs, or e-cigarettes, which is not permitted on the App Store."
"nicotine-related paraphernalia" LOL ... gotta love that...what a crock of shit.
This from the paragon of virtue Apple who runs suicide slave factories in China.
Go to hell Apple.
As if I needed another reason to never buy an iPhone.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It would be hard for me to hate a company more, but:
After all the political censorship
After the upgrade-proof machines
The control-oriented specs
The yesterday's equipment at tomorrow's prices
And now this?
Burn, Apple. You had one good idea and you blew it.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Apple biggest company in the world . Now bow down.
1327285110_godfather.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Haters gonna hate.
As to "one good idea", count again.
Blew it? Most companies all over the world would love to blow it as Apple has done.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Ah, fake news...
Just did an app search on "cigar" using the one and only Apple App Store utilizing my iPhone X.

And.

Dozens of available apps for cigar lovers, who, should go be snowflakes elsewhere.
Included in the search was "Big Smoke 2017: Cigar Aficionado's Big Smoke" describing in great detail the map of exhibitors, location of events, ways to share photos (of your phallic hobby), and so forth and so on. Too many details to bother with here... this pipe forum.
Many more cigar app offerings to find cigars on sale, share the cigar lifestyle etc etc etc.
Also likely many apps showing Hillary's and Bernie's favorite cigar smoking interests (as Bill would be too obvious)... well, because it's Apple.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ That doesn't necessarily mean it's "fake news". I seriously doubt CA would just make that up...including the quote from Apple. It's much more likely that Apple reversed itself on the decision after the article came out.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Here is one of the policy guidelines for submitting an App to Apple. I would say this lends credence to the authenticity of Cigar Aficionado's article.
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

1.4.3 Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that encourage minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of marijuana, tobacco, or controlled substances (except for licensed pharmacies) isn’t allowed.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
The article mentioned it was still available to use the web and that the app was available for Android. Apple users can still use it, just not get app software updates.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
1.4.3 Apps that encourage consumption of tobacco products, illegal drugs, or excessive amounts of alcohol are not permitted on the App Store.
I find it ironic, irritating, and sad that in their superior wisdom these doo-gooders (pun intended) deign to lump tobacco together with "illegal drugs," and yet give alcohol a qualified pass.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love watching this company burn:
https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/12/19/1616240/apple-seems-to-have-forgotten-about-the-whole-it-just-works-thing

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find it ironic, irritating, and sad that in their superior wisdom these doo-gooders (pun intended) deign to lump tobacco together with "illegal drugs," and yet give alcohol a qualified pass.
Good point. Medically, "officially", any tobacco use is considered a disorder...but moderate alcohol use is perfectly acceptable and even often considered therapeutic.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe people were happier when they drank like fish, smoked like chimneys, ate full fat food, and stopped their neurotic minds from worrying about dying all the time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not all people are equally sane/intelligent/good. Surely some are happiest when submerged in feces.
Generally we call them "voters."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Critical thinking is applied to alcohol use from social/medical/insurance industry perspectives. Distinctions are made regarding type and amount of alcohol use.
Such distinctions are rarely made regarding tobacco use.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I don't know of any pipe-smokers who, under the influence of their preferred tobaccos, drive and then damage, maim, or kill, nor any who (again under their tobaccos' influence) abuse or murder their loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.