PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastpipes2u

Lurker
Apr 10, 2016
Okay all you seasoned pipe smokers from days of yore. I have a question that perhaps someone out there can answer.

My love of pipes and pipe tobacco can be traced back to a certain Scout Master who smoked a pipe religiously. He was always lighting, filling tamping etc. while explaining to us youngsters the fine points of folding the American Flag. Mr. McBride always smoked an apple flavored tobacco that had a glorious smell as the smoke curled over his head. I'm wondering if anyone remembers or smoked a apple flavored tobacco in the late sixties and is it still available today? It was around 1965 to 1968? I would love to get my hands on this tobacco as I'm sure it would bring back many fond memories. Thanks for any help!

Jun 4, 2014
Boswell's makes an apple blend, Apple Strudel. I've never tried it, but I've smoked several other of their blends and they are all very good.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'll also place my wager on Middleton's Apple. It's been around forever, and has always been a readily available OTC. Definitely has an unmistakable apple room note, as well. You should give it a whirl- it's actually a pretty tasty OTC. I get mine online from WVSmokeshop.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I agree with others it's probably Middleton's Apple. I smoked it for years and still do from time to time when my local B&M gets it in. WV SmokeShop sells it if you want to try it.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Middleton...a mix between their just fine "Carter Hall" and a Glade air freshener

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Be careful, Middleton's Apple bit me harder than any other tobacco I've ever smoked, it was like putting a smoldering charcoal briquette in my mouth, albeit an apple flavored briquette!

pastpipes2u

Lurker
Apr 10, 2016
Thanks all for the input. I'll head over to WVPipe shop and check out Middleton's. We'll see what it tastes like and smells like also. I will take all cautions as well when smoking it.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not old, but you could try this new one: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/82119/stanwell-kir-apple
pb-swh.png

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
A few month's ago I received a tin of Stanwell's Kir & Apple as part of the P&C tobacco club.
I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on it. This is a blend I would have never purchased, so in some ways it's nice to get it via the monthly club.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
That many years ago it was almost certainly Middleton. Most guys I knew back then who smoked a pipe smoked drugstore crap. It smelled pretty good to bystanders, which I suppose accounts for a lot of the nostalgic attraction to that garbage by new pipesmokers who were kids back in the 60s and 70s. Having smoked some of it then, and again recently, I honestly don't know how those old codgers could stand it. If that's all they had back when I took up the pipe I would've gone back to cigars in a heartbeat.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I second Boswell apple strudel, great stuff...
But here are some others:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/search/?q=apple+tobacco

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost would feel the bite of Middleton's Apple. Drew Estate Harvest on Hudson is a good apple blend and worth trying.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Now, just a doggone minute there ... I like Middleton Apple. It's ... good.
Well, okay, it's not great, but I do like it. :oops:

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Middleton's Apple is good. Keep it cool and smoke it slow, and it will behave. I get more of an apple cider-vibe from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.