PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It all depends on what you want to do? If you have a PC, I'd go IPad. If you need another lap top or computer go notebook. As far as the IPad Pro, I don't know. The IPad's are limited on what you can do on them. The IPad Pro may change some of these issues. I know that if I get another IPad, I'm going IPad Pro. But first I want to get an Apple Desk Top. I'm tired of dealing with PC's. I know that I haven't been much help. Hopefully this thread will be fruitful, so both of us can make some educated decisions.

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
If mobility isn't an issue, forget mac and build yourself an awesome desktop. Way cheaper with more power and customization.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Unfortunately, I'd rather get cancer than Windows. Used a PC for years, but never again.
I'm leaning iPad pro for the stylus... all things equal the iPad has that feature...

Dec 24, 2012
I just got my Ipad Pro a couple of weeks ago. I love it -- and the pencil is great -- but it could never replace my macbook. I am a heavy user, though, of Microsoft Office, so if you only need to web surf then an Ipad alone would suffice. I am like you -- I loathe anything windows based.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Two different devices, for different purposes. If you prefer touch screen and see yourself using the pencil often, I would go with the iPad over the macbook. Honestly if you were considering a traditional laptop, I would suggest looking into the macbook airs over the macbook, since it gives you the best value for your money. I'm somewhat disappointed by the first release of the macbook, it's extremely underpowered for what it should be. Unfortunately working in the creative world, none of those options provide the computing power I need to complete my tasks, so I have to stick with the higher powered Mac Pros and a Macbook Pros. I also share the same feelings for Windows. Working with them for so many years and running into issue after issue, I gave up and went with Macs. Every agency I've worked with/for the past few years all got rid of their windows computers in favor for Mac, it's also basically taken over hollywood. Windows will always have it's die-hard fans, but honestly once you go mac...you never go back... ;)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've used MacBook Pros for 10 years and never have had a major problem. I do advertising design, print publication layout and design, photography and some graphic art on mine when I'm away from home. For a desktop I use an iMac. The newer ones are better than the old G5 desktops. Yeah, they are more expensive but Apple products are more dependable in my opinion. My favorite analogy is would you rather drive Hyundai or a Mercedes?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I could get it right in the camera every time I wouldn't need a desk top or a lap. I can easily get by with the iPad for 98 percent of my computing needs. I like a keyboard for it though when writing. Too slow with the finger or stylus.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I liked windows 7 and before that, but window's 8 and now 10 is utter shit. I would just get a high quality custom built machine and run linux.

Mar 1, 2014
The IPad Pro is a joke.

It costs as much as a laptop but has almost none of the productivity.

In a few years you'll have every feature of the Pro on smaller, cheaper iPads, but the Pro will never be able to run photoshop or countless other professional programs.
If all you want is a giant iPad then get the Pro, because being big is the only thing the iPad pro will always do better than any other iPad.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I made this thread with GREAT trepidation for fear it might turn into a Windows v Mac v Linux debate... Passions always run high. I hate PCs for a very good reason after owning an Internet cafe and dealing with them day in/day out for six years. HATE them. I had MACS as well and never had to touch them and they were used the most.
These days I don't do any "powerusing". The advantages of the iPad pro aren't only size. Read the specs. I'll just have to go spend some time at the Apple Store.
Peck, exactly the type of info I hoped to find, practical experience with an iPad pro. Luckily, I weaned myself away from office years ago in favor of macs iWork's. If you didn't use office or Adobe, would it suffice as only portable?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Have both, so does my wife. The iPad is a better device for anything outside of "work", and it's more fun to use. The pencil is awesome.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I liked windows 7 and before that, but window's 8 and now 10 is utter shit.
I'm really liking Windows10 on my Surface3. To me it has the ease of use of earlier versions of Windows without all the hang ups they had.
You couldn't pay me to take an iPad over a Surface.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Nate,
I cannot comment on the iPad Pro as I do not have one; but I have used the original iPads and other tablets. I do have an iMac, MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air (slightly older versions). Interestingly enough, all three have slight nuances in their use but I have found them to be excellent for the choices I've made.
If you're looking for portability without the stylus or touch screen interface, then I'd say the Macbook Pro or Air would be a great choice. The Air being lighter would get my vote; the Air will compromise overall storage compared to the MacBook Pro.
I'm "old school" and still prefer keyboard/mouse/touchpad interfaces. The Air does not have a CD/DVD Rom drive so depending on what you plan, you may need to pick up a USB version. But if you're good with digital format on all of that, then you'll find more storage accordingly in the Air over the iPad version. The downside, is that the Pro/Air will require "unfolding" where the iPad is a bit more nimble in handling.
I think it's a "Your mileage may vary" type of question and it really starts with your intended use.
Happy hunting.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I appreciate everyone's input. After MUCH thought, I've opted for the iPad pro. Playing with one and the pencil in the store was a revelation. The pencil sold me. To those who've never tried you might think it's a stylus big whoop, but it's extraordinary, like no stylus before it. You'll swear you're writing on paper. I have no job so my uses are pretty much email, surfing, and writing, all of which the pro does excessively well. If I regret it I can trade it in for a laptop, but I don't see that happening. I like the idea of being able to carry it around. I've had all other apple items and loved them all. Time to try a giant iPad :)

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I'm looking forward to hearing how your first couple of days with the iPad pro are! I've been trying for some time to utilize an iPad in my workflow. In University it was indispensable for carrying my seminar readings on and making notes for my thesis on the go. I could quickly sketch out diagrams with a third party stylus though often I still would reach for paper and pen out of habit.
I've been a mac guy for the past decade or so and really enjoy their ecosystem and how their various devices do a pretty decent job of shaking hands. Unfortunately I'm tied to windows at work as we rely on Revit to produce construction documents. In the office now I often use a Surface. I find the OS terribly clumsy but its ability to run the full suite of software we use on our desktops (revit, bluebeam, office, etc) makes up for its downfalls.
I have to say, however, the iPad Pro looks terribly enticing. The low-latency stylus is a plus as many of the 3rd part ones I've used lack the accuracy and dependability that make you feel confident in starting a sketch on the iPad vs scrounging up a napkin or the back of a coaster.

Dec 24, 2012
I use my Ipad Pro for only the following, and it does all very well:
1. Reading. That it is big enough to display a fully 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper is invaluable for me, and is reason enough for me to buy it to replace my existing second generation Ipad.
2. Marking up / commenting on work documents. The pencil is perfect for this, along with an app I use called Goodreader. I have essentially become paperless in my workflow.
3. Reading e-mails and surfing the web from time to time.
4. Controlling my multi-zone stereo system, my home lighting and security system. Works perfectly.
For anything else I use my Macbook Pro.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
4. Controlling my multi-zone stereo system, my home lighting and security system. Works perfectly.

What do you use for this Peck? I haven't found anything that works the way I want it to.

Edit: Stereo, that is.

Dec 24, 2012
In my house I use a smart home technology called Control4. In my barn I use the same for the lighting and security system, but use a separate Marantz app to control my music out there. I can't tell you more than that since i had a company set it up so don't really know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.