Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just bought this beautiful aonian calabash cream colored meerschaum insert not heavily caked with silver shank ring & heavy volcanite stem
- scraped off some of the rough cake to smooth-

the stem is a nice heavy volcanite i can clean with pipe cleaner & iso 99 alcohol or bacardi 150.
question is the deep curve of the shank - removed the insert & a tapered cleaner passes thru the shank from the stem end into the bowl (with the meerschaum insert removed) so i see the cleaner actually rise into the chamber so it is a nice clear airway.
can i use the isopropyl 99 alcohol or bacardi 150 is this regular briar ?? -

the bottom of the chamber as it approaches the air hole is very rough so not sure what the shank material might be or just briar to be treated like any briar pipe for cleaning ( after removing the meerschaum insert )
thanks for help

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
ok realise the shank material is the gourd material - any way to clean this ??
the stem was filthy so i expect the shank is also

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I do, Isopropyl on the stem and gourd. Even a little sandpaper in the gourd. Ive left the Gourd soaking in Isopropyl 91% overnight to loosen up the gunk. The meerschaum is another story. I keep alcohol away from it and clean it only when cold. I have used sandpaper there but, I repeat, when cold. Others may chime in too with their methods.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
thanks - by soaking in the iso 99 do you pour the iso into the gourd to fill up the whole shank to near the top at the stem & bowl ends without touching the cork - so i should just fill the gourd with the iso supported in an upright position overnite.

can i use bacardi 150 instead as i use it in my pipes rather than iso but the bacardi even 150 contains a bit of water which might soften the gourd ??
after it dries out i will use some sandpaper to smoothen the inside at the curve - extremely rough which helps build up tobacco stain & residue.

the meerschaum has almost no cake so i will leave it as is.
for now the cork holding the insert is reasonably tight but if it loosens is it ok to moisten the cork with water to swell the cork a bit ??
the meerschaum is an even cream color so i expect it was originally cream color - it is definitely an old original from austria with that very heavy thick stem even the ring has a silver marking & the shank has the emblem of aonian manufacturing company.

i suspect i lucked out on this one. always wanted a calabash looked at some new ones a month ago but nothing like this one.
thanks for responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.