Anything Special to Maintain a Clay Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A friend gifted me this clay pipe; it's the first clay pipe I've owned. So far I've smoked it only a half dozen times or so but really like it.
2nfcJ3T.jpg

My question is this: are there any specific things one should do to maintain a clay pipe? Obviously, alcohol should be used minimally if at all; I get that. But does one wax it? Or …? Any information from those more experienced with clay pipes will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: The Clay King

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I only know a couple of things about clay pipes.
They are fragile...duh. You can dip the mouthpiece is unscented wax to make it easier to smoke and the best way to clean a clay is to put it in a fire, like in a fireplace or fire pit fire. Alcohol, I wouldn't use it. Wax the pipe, like a meerschaum, again, I wouldn't.
Mike S.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, Mike. I was pretty sure not to wax it. The heating in a fireplace/fire pit was something I'd never heard of or would have thought to try.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I sometimes feel like I should keep a selection of articles on clay pipes I have written over the years so I can 'cut and paste' them onto the forum every time similar questions pop up relating to the dreaded clay pipe! As you may have discovered by going through the forum postings I was until about 25+ years ago a great devotee of the clay pipe and smoked exclusively 'Pollocks Clays' made by the firm of John Pollock. If you want to know about how clay pipes are made here is a link to a very interesting film made about Gordon Pollock who only passed away a few years ago https://youtu.be/FsyyEcW-v1s and the process involved in making clay pipes. Getting back on track to your question it is considered wise to varnish the tip of the stem so that your lips do not stick to the porous clay stem. This can be achieved by putting some taped around the stem and exposing an inch of the stem which is then painted with hard red of whatever available color nail varnish. This will prevent the tip from sticking to your lips and causing such fun things as ulceration or lip cancer! Try not to clench the pipe in your mouth otherwise you will wind up with 'pipe notches' which is where the stem wears down the teeth and if you google this term you will be able to see some lovely examples of Victorian wear and tear on the teeth. In terms of cleaning if you have not varnished the tip by all means feel free to toss the pipe into burning or glowing embers to burn off the tar and residue from use although I used to plough through 50+ pipes a month so my attrition rate very rarely ever allowed a pipe to age much beyond a few days. I hope that was a useful answer to your question.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Greg, nice pipe! Please do lets us know what you think about it after smoking a few bowls.
condorlover1, that was a great little film! I found the process to be very different than what I had imagined it to be. In the film it mentioned he was the last producer in England of clay pipes. Is that still correct?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly so my friend! He stopped making pipes in the early 1990s and sold out to another outfit who in turn went bust and I believe all the moulds are now in the Manchester Industrial Museum although some of his old inventory shows up from time to time on Ebay and Etsy. I visited the factory in Stott Street once or twice and had lunch with Gordon as he always used his own pipes and exclusively smoked twist tobacco carried in his jacket pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.