Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anyone With Bjarne Viking Pipes Experience?

(10 posts)
  1. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

Looking at one of these on the bay:

Looks like a nice pipe for $40 but is it really made in Denmark or is this a Chinese counterfeit? The 2 that I can find are ship from China.

With the Dupont counterfeits being marked Paris with no indication of being Chinese made other than the price and shipping origin I'm wondering if these aren't the same way.

I also see some so-called Savinelli leather pouches that are clear counterfeits.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Bjarnes, one is of his own make, and the other is of his production line, a Viking. The stem logos are different. This one is of his production company, which is a cheaper factory pipe. His high end namesake pipes have a very stylistic BC on the stem. The Danes tend to stamp absolutely everything "handmade" with no regulation.

Michael
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, and for the rest of the question... $40 is a good price for a Viking. Not, obviously a counterfeit... besides why counterfeit a cheap pipe?

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

besides why counterfeit a cheap pipe?

Good question.

Even if it is a counterfeit it's a really nice looking pipe for $40. Might get it just because.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my Bjarnes. Neither of them will pass a pipecleaner, so I would be surprised if yours did. But, I have never had a gurgle from them. It's a good bet you will enjoy it. Good luck, and post pics when you get it.

I met Bjarne about ten years ago. It was one of the first times I had visited the Briary, my first pipemaker to meet. He was a very friendly guy... but he never cleaned his own pipes. Never even slipped one pipecleaner down them. He was rather proud of this. He smoked them like the old timers, smoke it till it is dead, and then toss it away and get a new one. May he RIP.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Viking Classic 1/8 bent Dublin is my go-to pipe for Virginia Flakes. Smokes perfectly.

I think you will be happy with it.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my first "real pipes" was a Bjarne Viking bent dublin. They're cheap, but they look nice and are well made. I still have mine and it smokes great

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

okiepiper

Login to Send PM

I have a Bjarne Viking Skagen. It has held up well and smokes latakia blends like a champ.

"I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food." Ron Swanson
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Viking classic straight apple, smokes great, very comfortable vulcanite bit, no complaints.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't own one. I've always heard they are good pipes.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pappymac, gatorlope, ashdigger, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, ssjones, autumnfog, ben88, tobefrank