Anyone Use Tobacco Cellar .com

(39 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by metalheadycigarguy
  • Latest reply from bluegrasspipe
  1. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't see a previous thread about this, so apologies if there was a previous one.

So several years ago I created an account on TobaccoCellar.com to help keep track of tins in my tobacco cellar, and mason jars I had open and smoking from. At the time I had a small cellar, and minimal open jars so it didn't take long to add all my tobaccos. I haven't used this site in a few years, and tonight I logged in and updated my cellar and added about 75% of my tinned tobacco to my online cellar. What I found in doing so is that there are many popular tobacco's that I can't find in the database. For example McClelland's Christmas Cheer stops at 2012, other blends like GL Pease Gas Light, MacBaren HH Latakia Flake, Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture are not in the database that I can find.

I find it odd that these very popular tobacco blends are not in their database. With as many people that seem to use this website regularly; one would think that these popular tobaccos and many more would have already been added to their website by either moderators and/or forum members. I find it hard to believe that so many tobacco's still haven't been added to this website. Has anyone come across this issue when using this website? I have about 40 tins I still need to add, and I would really hate to have to add all the information for these tobacco's if I don't have to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I just keep a hard copy manifest of my collection. I use the internet for little more than an online shopping center.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had mine in an iPhone app (PIPE TOOL), which I think was made by a forum member (I think the same one who made that website). But, in my last phone OS update, it wiped out the app, and I lost the whole database. So, now I am setting on way over 300 lbs of tobacco with no idea what the inventory is.

I had thought about using the website, but after my ordeal with the makers of that phone app just giving up on it, and no easy way to transfer the data, I am tempted to just use pen and paper. I would be furious if I added all of that tobacco, and then they just leave it to die, like they did with the app.

There were so many new blends added in these last few years, that I had to key into the app almost everything I had been buying the last few years.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like Michael is used Pipe Tool and was left high and dry. So I entered my cellar into an super simple Excel spreadsheet. Once I had everything in it I printed it and set it on a shelf in my tobacco cabinet. I track anything I take out of the "cellar" with a pencil and anything that goes into the cellar the same way (going in really isn't much anymore) and once a month or so I simply update the Excel spreadsheet and then print that. Super simple.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spreadsheets, ugggg, every time I want to make a spreadsheet, I lose my mind. They are not very intuitive to create. I have tried to use online tutorials, but... I end up just slapping around the monitor and cussing it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, oh believe me, I'm the same, but I had my son make me a super easy to fill in one. I still barely know how to use it, but it works.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

In the distant past, PipesMagazine provided blog space for members. I wrote a few pieces, and enjoyed several blogs written by others. In time, I realized that I could utilize the space to store URLs, which made it convenient to link other posters to relevant information. This represented a big investment in time and effort; and to my dismay, it completely evaporated one day when Kevin disabled the feature. Since then, I do not rely on other's resources to store valued data.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Exponentially more reliable than any electronic record keeping.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had thought about using the website, but after my ordeal with the makers of that phone app just giving up on it, and no easy way to transfer the data, I am tempted to just use pen and paper.

Or just use Excel, which exports CSV, or any analogue thereof.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't want anything written down.... if the revenuer's come around !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

I just use one of those little spiral books much better.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You don't want anything written down.... if the revenuer's come around !!

That's why you'd make 2 sets of books.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

I track my cellar in a simple spreadsheet (Google's spreadsheet tool).

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco Celler is a nice program because it keeps track of all sorts of data. It automatically tracks the age of each of your tins and open jars. It can track when you open a tin and finish a tin, it calculates what percentage of your cellar is aged 10+ yeas, 5 years, 4 years etc., and keeps track of what percentage of your cellar is Latakia/Oriental blends or Burley blends or Virginia/Perique blends etc. It also allows you to enter a date that you placed the tobacco in your cellar in addition to the date the tobacco was actually tinned by the manufacturer, and the price you paid and the place you purchased it from. Overall it's a pretty cool program/database and I know is widely used; I just thought it was weird that some very popular tobacco's which have been out for a while have not been added previously. Just thought it was very strange.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wasn't it made by the same forum members that did the Pipe Tool app?
    If so, what worries me in what you say about tobaccos not being updated is that they'll just abandon the site, like they did their app. It still leaves me angry that the App was abandoned, no matter what their reason for it was. They could have at least given us a way to transfer our inventory. But, the print and email functions were the first to go, when the just left it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also use Excel and while it doesn't give me the grouped info Metalhead is referring to it's easy to set up if you wanted it to do that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yaz, your're back. Nice to see you post again.

I tried using tobaccocellar when I first learned of it. I lasted about 5 minutes before I gave up. I have no patience for that kind of mind numbing work. When I kick, my kids can figure out what the hell I have.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

I remember there was a thread here - probably in the last year - about Tobacco Cellar going dark. I don't know how long it was down, but it was cause of concern for many.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's why you'd make 2 sets of books.

Nobody falls for that anymore...3 sets are needed now a days !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I hope the site doesn't go abandoned but if it does I can always revert back to pen and paper. I don't mind that kind of stuff as I like keeping track of data and stats, but yes it can get mind numbing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

I use tobacco cellar and every time I make changes I download a backup copy. I can open the backup in excel if necessary or if the website is down. I've tried ThePipeTool, another web based tool and I prefer the simplicity o f the tobacco sellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I've thought about it, but I live in excel at work, so the last thing I want to do is taint my relaxation obsession with ill feelings of work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See if you can get the source from the app author. It can be easily updated then.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exponentially more reliable than any electronic record keeping.
    Except in the event of a fire...

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always used Tobacco Celler and like it but it can sometimes be a bit slow. I added blends that were not in the database and had very little problem doing so.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My regular post - the pipe tool app on the ios has nothing to do with thepipetool.com - who knows who developed that. I maintain thepipetool.com .

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

I have been using tobacco cellar for a few years and love it. Not sure why, but I figured whoever use to update the list has stopped. FYI you can add your own in the my account section for any new blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Except in the event of a fire...

I keep it in a fireproof safe with other documents.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, its very to add new tobacco's on the site, and I've added a bunch the last two days. I'd just hate to waste my time updating the site and adding tobacco's if the site is going to go away. In the meantime its a very handy tool for keeping track of your tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked out tobaccocellar.com for the first time. Meh. Nice idea, but it’s sadly outdated in terms of technology. It is designed for a desktop browser in a mostly mobile world. Even in the desktop browser, the interface is clunky. Data entry is just too cumbersome. One feature that could make me reconsider its use would be if they incorporated some tin date calculators. In my Google Sheets tobacco spreadsheet, for example, I have built a Samuel Gawith code-to-date calculator. I particularly didn’t like that it seemed to default to creating an open tin and that I couldn’t seem to remove the date opened.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

I have been using pipetool since 2011 and never had an issue. I back it up regularly, via email. I'm thinking its time to go to one of the online sites.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sister gave me an unused Filofax and that is where my records live. With a set of page dividers I can log money spent, lists of tins, lists of bulk and lists of homemade mixtures etc.

All so simple really. Of course using this method doesn't allow one to openly brag to the world about how deep one's cellar is but I see no benefit in that.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. wbradk

wbradk

Login to Send PM

I started keeping a small notebook, but it is too much trouble, so now I just grab something from the pile that looks good at that moment and who cares about inventory? Naturally, I do label tins with the purchase date. Who needs the trouble and work? If I wanted to work more I'd get another job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just started an account a couple of weeks ago and I think the idea is awesome. You can see what the most popular blends are in other peoples cellar and who has what. Also keeping the purchase dates and original costs for the tins is really cool as well.
    As I started entering tins I got to about 4 before I tired of it, I wish it was a little easier and quicker. I have the notebook copy of my cellar, but I would prefer the organized digital format. I find it most useful looking at what my next TAD purchase should be depending on amounts I have in the cellar, instead of digging through boxes.

Metalhead and 7ach, I was under the assumption when you entered a blend that wasn't in the database, it would go into the main search so others could then use that information for entering, is that not true?

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really, tobaccocellar.com is not good. The design is looks quite outdated to me. As I mentioned earlier, it's not at all mobile-friendly. The public database feature is interesting, though.

Check out the Memento Database app for Android, if you have an Android device. You can download a pipe tobacco cellar template. There's a pipe inventory database template, too. I use the cellar template called "Pipe Tobacco Cellar v1.12, which you can download in Memento as follows: Add LIbrary/Online Catalog/Search for "Tobacco". This is a very flexible tool. I've modified the template that I mentioned to suit my needs. For instance, I added a field for the tobaccoreviews.com average rating. One of my favorite features is the ability to sync with Google Sheets. This provides not only a backup, but insurance against Memento going out of support or your choosing to switch to iOS, for example.

Since I already had a Google Sheets spreadsheet with most of my cellar, here's how I entered much of it in Memento for a quick start.

1) Created a few representative entries directly in Memento.
    2) Synced to Google Sheets
    3) Went to Google Sheets and opened up the newly synced Tobacco Cellar spreadsheet
    4) Copied my entries into the appropriate columns of the new sheet. Note that Memento is pretty flexible in terms of the import. I had entered G. L Pease as "GL Pease" in my original spreadsheet. This imported OK into Memento even though it had "G. L. Pease" in its preset list of manufacturers.
    5) Synced again in Memento.

Once the majority has been entered into Memento, it's also nice to use Google Sheets for larger volume edits. For example, Memento tells you the total number of ounces in your cellar, but totals that by adding up the quantity of tobacco, without respect to the unit of measure. So, a 50g tin and a 1.75 ounce tin would display as 51.75 ounces. As a result, I converted all my entries to ounces. This was a fairly quick find and replace in Google Sheets.

It's not perfect, however. The biggest shortcoming is that if you open a tin and you have more than one in your cellar, you need to copy the entry to create the opened tin, then go back to the original entry and reduce the tin count.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

That is good news that you can add new blends. I recently created an account and added all the tobacco I have that were blends that were already listed in the system. I need to spend a bit more time with the program though. I do like the format and all the information that if provides.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone tried the Arborea app for Apple?

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked Arborea, and it's only 8 months old, and reports of being buggy. At $2.99 my fears would be the same as with Pipetool, that it could just stop working one day. And, the loss of money is no big deal, but the loss of all of that work and information would be devastating, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point Cosmic. It would really suck to lose everything after all that time spent entering your information.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper