PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Wondering if I can use things like old pickle jars to age tobacco. Maybe touch up the lid with some bees wax? Has anyone tried this?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Naw, I don't much care for pickle aromatic tobacco.
I thought about doing that for a blend that I smoke everyday. OLD JOE KRANTZ

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I use old cheese dip and salsa jars. A few trips through the dishwasher and there's no leftover scent.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If there's any plastic/rubber stuff on the inside of the lid, that can retain the scent and flavor of whatever was there before. You could load it with a Burley mix and invent the world's first pickle aro...

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
For smaller working jars I save the $1 candle jars. The lids will also fit the medium size baby food jars as well. Otherwise its mason jars.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Why not simply invest in some Mason jars, which are relatively cheap, and have the peace of mind that you're storing it correctly in a well proven method of storing tobacco rather than messing about with the PITA of melting bees wax to seal the lids on pickle jars?

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
...well I suppose it would go good with a nice sandwich. Just leave a few drops of pickle juice, throw in some straight Virginia and let it age. Mason jars are great, actually over time...they will seal up pretty tight on their own if you aren't messing with it much.

You can do whatever you want with your own tobaccos. Us Mason jar folks are the ones not being experimental, so we won't dampen your creative spirits.

Me, I'll not be using store brand pickle jars. I don't even use jars that I've made my own pickles in for tobaccos. But, you can do whatever you want. There was even a guy on here a year or so back from some second or third world country that didn't have glass jars, so he asked about taping two metal bowls together to age tobaccos. Heck, if someone wants to burry them in an old shoe box, go for it. Let us know how it works for you.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've used jars from stuff that leaves no scent, like nacho dip or jam, but I wouldn't use one from anything pungent like pickles. Please bear in mind, for any serious storage/cellaring, I am firmly in the Mason jar camp. A used food jar is only used for the tail end of a tin that I don't want dried out, or some of my home-brew blends. In other words, nothing long-term.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hakchuma:
Go to your local Walmart, K-Mart, Target, Dollar Store, etc. and buy a case of Ball's, Mason, other brand jars and rest easy.
Jars are too cheap and life is way too short.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.