PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I was at the B&M today and the owner just got this line in. There's a pipe show here this weekend and he intends to open a tin of each for the guys to try. He told me they are re-issues of the old Ashton line. Please let me know your thoughts on any and all as they look good to me.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I tried 2 of them quite a while back... the "Old Dog" and the "Celebrated Sovereign" ... I dont remember too much on the "Old Dog" so its probably because it wasnt great but it wasnt bad either... I do remember "Celebrated Sovereign" and I remember really liking it, I believe the Latakia is a Syrian that paired really well with the Turks in it... Neither was very strong for English blends and actually somewhat mild for me.... sorry couldnt help any more than that

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
They've actually been around for a few years. Celebrated Sovereign is one of my favorite mild latakia blends. I was a fan of the old Ashton blend and the McClelland version is just as good.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Old Dog is one of my favs. Bought a tin for my Dad (he's still complaining about not being able to get Dunhill Apertif -that's been gone, what, years and years) and he liked it enough to ask for another tin. Been meaning to try Celebrated Sovereign but keep picking up the Old Dog without a further thought.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
I'm gonna pick some up....these are one of the few tins the local b&m here carries

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Brindle Flake is really good as well. AFAIK, these are the same exact blends as before. Ashton just dropped their production when they went to the European made blends they currently have.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll be trying several of these tomorrow at the pipe show so I'll let you know my thoughts FWIW. I'll also probably leave there with a new pipe as it has been 6 months since I bought a new one. A PAD/TAD confluence.

Status
Not open for further replies.